Author Topic: Need training ASAP  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
Need training ASAP
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
I need a trainer to get on as soon as humanly possible to help me figure out what the hell is wrong with me.

I've been training for 2 years and I've only slightly improved, now I can't improve at all.
It's always the same mistakes every time over and over and I don't understand what they are or why I make them. I keep trying different things but it's either the same turnout or worse, most of the time worse.

It's gotta be quick, my time is running out.
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Need training ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
Do you want to learn a specific plane or all around wellness?
PM Murdr hes one of the best for ACM.
Strokes

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
Chances are there's nothing wrong with you!  :aok
Everyone hits a bump in the road that they can't seem to get past. We call it a plateau. It usually just takes a little guidance to find the mountain path again.
Obviously the first step is to identify the problem. It might not be that you're completely screwing up. Maybe you've got the right idea, you just aren't following through with it.  Give us something to work with. What's frustrating you?
-AoM-

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
The problem is I've been on this bump for somewhere around year, since 2bighorn/Barbossa changed his name to Texture. It's pretty much anything and everything that I can't improve on.
The Screwed One

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
Whats your in game name? Maybe its not "how" you fly but the situations you are flying into. Post a film, you'll get many comments on how you went wrong, or how others would have handled the fight. Email a trainer might be easier than posting a plea for help here.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Here's the thing, I don't fly in MAs. My system cannot handle it. Periode. I do ocassionaly fly in the DA. The only reason I have a subscription is to improve my fight.

ID is TSO.
The Screwed One

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Fighting the "jackals" in the DA isn't going to get you any where, unless you hook up with someone like Bighorn for some 1 vs 1.  Furball lake is just a bunch of picking dweebs, and no matter how good you are it doesn't take long to get caught in the cross fire.

What are the spec on your computer? Unless your running something from the stone age by turn down enough "eye candy" you should be able to fly in the mains.

Emailing a trainer is a good choice, as well as posting films.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »
I'm not sure what the status of your system is, but if it's like mine...slightly behind the times.  It might be worth poking around in the different MA's.  I get better frame rates on some terrains vs others.  I also have buttons assigned to switch vis range modes from full to short when I see the frame rates slow down in combat.  I'm not exactly sure of my schedule, but I can give you a heads up on when I do plan to be in the TA.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »
ID is TSO.

:lol  You're the guy I watched fight shane for 5 min 1vs1 in the AvA tonight.  Are you sure you need help?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »
Until last March I played in the MA's on:

Dell Dimension XPS-T600
PIII 600
512 mb PC100 SRAM
32 mb G-Force MX-440SE
Soundblaster Live! Value
Windows 98SE

I'd turned ground detail to low and max visibility to 3 miles with 512 textures and no custom skins.  My FPS were normally in the 15-25 range but would drop under 10 around many buff formations or in low lying fog.  They'd run 35 FPS in blue sky with one or two cons around.  Fires, smoke, etc. didn't seem to hurt my frame rates.

Some people will tell you that those frame rates are unplayable but it seemed smooth to me since I had no other point of reference.

First make sure your machine is clean:

*Scan your computer for viruses, spyware, adware, etc.
*Remove any unused applications.
*Turn off any un-needed background applications (auto-updaters, etc.) in Task Manager or Services depending on your version of Windows.
*Clear out your Internet browser cache, recycling bin, downloaded program files, Windows Temp folder, etc. using Disc Cleanup (if you've changed the default location for your browser cache you may have to clear it through your browser.  You can also manually delete anything in the Windows Temp folder).
*Run Scandisk to make sure you don't have file problems or bad drive sectors.
*Run Disc Defragmenter.
*Before you log into the game turn off any anti-spyware, anti-adware, anti-virus and firewall programs.

Now log into the MA's and have fun.  If you're still having trouble run 256 textures.

You may still find situations you'll want to avoid that may over-tax your system but you'll quickly learn what they are.

If that old dinosaur computer listed above can play in the mains any computer can do it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
:lol  You're the guy I watched fight shane for 5 min 1vs1 in the AvA tonight.  Are you sure you need help?

I was surprised my g2 was hanging with an la5 in rolling scissors like that, but there are many better pilots than him that I fly regularly against.

I don't know what's wrong with my system, what I do know is it was only ever meant to be an office-like computer, flash games don't even play smoothly on it. Every setting in the game except textures is lowest. Lower textures hardly make a difference in frame rate and I'd rather look at my wing than at a murky mess. And yes 256 does makes a huge difference. Just forget about trying to improve my frame rate I've tried everything already, the only fix is a new computer.
The Screwed One

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »
You must fly with a very elite crowd.  :confused:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
You must fly with a very elite crowd.  :confused:

Just basing Shane on that one dogfight, I might be wrong.
The Screwed One

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:06 AM »
Hi guys.
           On the training thing.  Are there any exercises that will help with SA?  I'm flying the Seafire (not the best but I love Spits and want to learn in 1 plane).   I've read a lot of stuff you guys have posted and it has helped.  Spent hours  cruising around an empty base at 30ft, flaps out doing 85mph scraping the hanger doors as I go through.  Doing Immelmans and half Cubans over and over, up and down runways.  I'm doing as many things as I can with it and it all seems fine until I try it in the arena for real.  In most fights I lose my SA.  I see a bogey, go for him and he disappears somewhere,  I'm using the hat switch and a mouse to pan round the different views to try and spot him.  While this happens I get disorientated and end up in a dive or in a shaking stall and the bogey lands on my six. 
The offline missions are good (Hells Gate is cool) and it is helping but I'm still getting bogeys going under me because I can't make the turns and end up diving again.  My perception of the speed that I and the bogey are doing is way off (can't be clock watching all the time).  I guess it's a normal thing to get lost in space but it's doing me in.
Any help is greatfully received.   

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 06:53:16 AM »
SA and the ability to make snap judgments of your opponents E state will develop with time. As far as drills to work on SA just try not getting tunnel vision a.k.a target fixation especially in a furball.  If you're in a complex engagement keep scanning around for pickers.  You can use the offline furball missions to practice this, or even just flying in the MA.  Even in a 1v1 fight it's not uncommon to lose sight of your foe for a couple seconds in a blind spot, you just need to judge where he will be so you can reacquire him.

It confuses me when you say you use a hat and your mouse for views? In the middle of a fight if you're fumbling with your mouse it's probably doing more harm than good.  Also, are you familiar with setting head position for your views using F10?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH