Author Topic: Do you like modern day air combat ?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do you like modern day air combat ?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
Modern day air combat is not dogfighting. I like dogfighting. Seeing the enemy and trying to counter his every move. The sound of the Merlin and Rolls engines straining in the vertical and roaring in a dive.

Fighting a missile shot at me from 10 miles away by deploying flares and shooting back at a blip on my radar screen is not my cup of tea.

I love WW2 history and the planes of that era. That is the time when dogfighting was at its' finest. WW1 paved the way and Korea was the beginning of the end. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Not at all

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
could be fun f done right, but would be alot of work on the developers IMO,  just modeling the different radar system capabilities properly and how they interact with the terrain alone would be a PITA..

I think it could be fun though.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »
     It would be great to remote controll a Predator while chasing down the Taliban. Osama Bin laden is perked.  :aok
 I would't play much after the two week trial. :D
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
What modern day air combat?

Offline ScatterFire

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
Scatter1:
With bullets of rubber and armor of tissue I throw myself at my enemy.

Law of Devine Intervention:
All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touchhole of your musket.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
no
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
kazzaa u chittstirrrrer!  :furious  :lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
     The more I read these posts, the more I come to believe the vast majority
of folks get their missile data from Hollywood or the History channel.  There is a
reason they called the Sparrow the Great White Hope in Vietnam ya know  :lol
Well, my answer is "no" and I do have realistic understandings of missile capabilities.  They are quite capable now (Vietnam isn't modern, FYI) as has been demonstrated the few times they have been used in the last 20 years.

My issue with modern air combat is that it is so computer based.  It is almost more about computer systems management than it is about airmanship.  Another issue is the comparative lack of competitive airframes and sheer dominance of others (F-22) that would make the P-51D, Spitfire Mk XVI, La-7 and N1K2-J dominance in AH look downright balanced.  The long engagement ranges are just the final straw.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
of folks get their missile data from Hollywood or the History channel.  There is a

You're showing your age in reference to a war fought with first generation air to air missiles, 30 years ago.  Missiles these days, IE "Modern" are much more reliable.  Sidewinder AIM- 9X is better at hitting the leading edge (wing) heat signature of today's jets than the Vietnam era AIM-9B/D/E was at hitting the EXHAUST of its' target.  Albeit, the -9X is probably the single most capable IR missile in existence today, the others in this generation aren't that far behind.

Avoiding any missile threat, these days is difficult once lock-on is achieved.  This is why so much time, effort and R&D money goes into ECM rather than avoidance techniques.  Once today's missiles are inbound, your chances are already slim.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
What about the modern computers that allow you to play games like Aces High?

:o You win this round  :D

I suppose I should have said I like to have my cake and eat it too. I like to ala carte my technology. I think that when it comes things such as warfare, we should use rudimentary technology that exhibits more of the skills of the combatants.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Would you rather race a Nissan R35 GT-R, or a Ferrari F40?  The question is "race", not reincarnate as.

Modern day air combat is more about the machine than the pilot, than WWII is, and that kills it.  Pressing inputs into a computer on your computer screen so that virtual computer does the work for you before your eyes even see the enemy is nowhere as fun as directly, manualy moving the virtual plane yourself.  If there was a mod that removed all remote weapons and strapped on guns, even ultra lethal modern gatling guns, it'd be a different story.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »

That could be said of about all the ATA missiles of the era. The evolved Sparrow went on to give good service and has many kills on its record. In the Gulf-1 war alone it accounted for a couple dozen Iraqi aircraft. It was the Sparrow that gave Qadafi a bloody nose as well in one of the Gulf of Sidra incidents.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Ace Combat is a very popular modern air combat game... probably not a lick accurate, but I like it. :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
That is why Ace Combat is an Arcade type game. To easy to shoot missiles at people miles away. Though that series was one of the all time best series I have ever played ever!