Author Topic: Memory card info  (Read 622 times)

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
Memory card info
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »
Ok guys I have a question I just got off the phone with a tech service member who doesn't speak english. My question is this my FR in game goes down alot when I switch from full view to ground view, which makes my flying and gv'ing horrible. The tech guy told me that I did not need a new video card what I needed was to upgrade my memory card from 2gb to 4gb. I was just wondering if I understood him right. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it.

I have a compaq presario pc SR5402FH.
Intel celeron processor 430
Mem 2048mb
HD 160GB
Intel Graphics Media acclerator 3100
window vista home basic.

The tech said my mem card I have now details are: pc26400MB-2 240Pin DDR2.

I dunno if that will help ya'll.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:35:43 PM by LCCajun »
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: Memory card info
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »
Well first off, 2GB to 4GB of RAM is not really going to help anything, and unless you have XP/Vista 64-bit it is useless.
Second, Vista?  Good lord man, but it's do-able, may want to ask someone for info on any useless programs that can go.  Also, it is best to install the game in something besides C:Program files or so I have heard.

That Video card "Intel Graphics . . . 3100" is an on-board video (unless Intel started making add-in GPUs).  On-board is normally not good for gaming, and AH is no exception.

So, I would suggest trying to minimize things running in Vista, and upgrade the Video card (may require a PSU upgrade), however I know someone else will know more, so they may help more.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »
  Upgrading your memory won't help you improve your FR in your case.  You must some how upgrade your video card, maybe your power supply if needed, and possibly buy a sound card.  Remember to disable the vid or sound that's builtin to your mobo if you replace any of them.

I would not buy a high end video card.  Look for one that is "PCI-E x16 slot" capable and around $100-150.
Creative sound blaster Audigy ZS 2 would be a really good sound card that is <$75.
Upgrading your CPU would be nice too, but I don't know if your motherboard is capable of that.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
Thanks guys. I just spoke with another tech from the same company who could speak english. He told me that the video card was integrated and that I do have a slot if I wanted to add a video card. I guess I will do that. Now I just have to find out what kind lol. Sorry guys I really don't know crap about computers. Thanks.

"SlapShot
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
LC...

This is a 1.8G single core processor with onboard video. There is really nothing you can do. Upgrade of video card may help a bit but if you go medium end video card there will probably be what they call "bottlenecking". The CPU may not be able to keep up with the video card. You can get a decent video card today from as low as $50. If you do get a newer video card there will be an upgrade on your power supply too. This will be a $100 risk. I would see if any AH member used this CPU in the past and what video card they had and how it performed. You may be able to get away with an "Older" video card(a past recommendation) that is much better that your onboard video chip.

Challenge and Fulmar was brainstorming the same situation with a 3100 Sempron (1.8G single core) in another thread. Challenge recommended a older still available video card that would probably be the best bet to tie you over(Possible upgrade of power supply also). It is probably time to take out an obituary for your system soon anyway.
See Rule #6

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
Cajun, let's find out what ports you have. Open up the left side (Area of the computer with the power button is the front, this is the reference point.) of your computer by unscrewing the panel covering it from the back, it should simply slide open then pop off. Now take a look inside. (Please don't touch anything at the moment)

We're looking for ports similar to the one listed below:

The above picture shows three ports I recognize. The one of the far right is PCIe x16 (PCI Express), in the middle is a PCIe x1, and on the left we have plain-and-simple PCI slots.

As the above picture describes. The slot on-top is AGP, the ones underneath are PCI, and the one on the bottom is ISA.

So, look into your system and tell us what you see. You can even take a picture and after posting it here we'll try to tell you what you've got. Afterward we can decipher what type of cards your system can take.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 02:35:41 AM »
Cajun, let's find out what ports you have. Open up the left side (Area of the computer with the power button is the front, this is the reference point.) of your computer by unscrewing the panel covering it from the back, it should simply slide open then pop off. Now take a look inside. (Please don't touch anything at the moment)

We're looking for ports similar to the one listed below:
(Image removed from quote.)
The above picture shows three ports I recognize. The one of the far right is PCIe x16 (PCI Express), in the middle is a PCIe x1, and on the left we have plain-and-simple PCI slots.

(Image removed from quote.)
As the above picture describes. The slot on-top is AGP, the ones underneath are PCI, and the one on the bottom is ISA.

So, look into your system and tell us what you see. You can even take a picture and after posting it here we'll try to tell you what you've got. Afterward we can decipher what type of cards your system can take.

No need to do this Denholm. He has PCI express. Here are the specs for his computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01390642&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
See Rule #6

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
Ahhh. Sorry, I don't research the compuer model, I allow the user to do the work. After all, if he wants to upgrade, he needs to find the motivation to stick in the card. :P
FlameThink.com

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Ahhh. Sorry, I don't research the compuer model, I allow the user to do the work. After all, if he wants to upgrade, he needs to find the motivation to stick in the card. :P

Its cool, better than pulling box apart.
See Rule #6

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »
It may all be irrelevant since he said he may get someone more "experienced" to do it.  Not only that I am helping as he thinks of getting a custom computer build, assuming he can save up some money.
Always gotta help an old squaddie, assuming the bum ever signs on MSN. :)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
Well, if he wants a new build we most definitely can help him out in the Hardware and Software forum. There's plenty of experienced computer builders there which can get him information on a system that kicks butt while keeping in mind the budget set. He doesn't have to build it, nor does he have to have one of us in the Hardware and Software forum build it. He can simply buy the parts himself and then have a local computer store put the pieces together for him. The end result is a cheap system which is more reliable than most of what you can buy from the popular brands.
FlameThink.com

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 01:38:38 AM »
It may all be irrelevant since he said he may get someone more "experienced" to do it.  Not only that I am helping as he thinks of getting a custom computer build, assuming he can save up some money.
Always gotta help an old squaddie, assuming the bum ever signs on MSN. :)

Who said anything about building a new computer???????  Actually he may be able to get away with a lower/middle end video card. LCCajun told me he had a 250 watt power supply. Hmmmmm.... I rethunk my original thought. I think a 300W and a 8400GS probably would do the job.

Hers is the best thing LC:

Thermaltake 500W Power supply $35 after rebate! Great price!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

Nvidea 8400GS $50.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3244227&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCWw0fzTCjCVqHCjCdwwp

Total cost before taves $85. Great Aces High experience: Priceless.

I think you will see a considerable improvement in Aces High compared to what you have but I would not expect the world out of it and it's only $85.

I did not put a higher video card due to his 1.8G processor.  Was hoping for a Callenge or MrRip overview of this suggestion.

As far as your memory, if you are running XP your good. I have no idea about Vista and 2048 on the ram. I would think you would be OK. Ram is cheap and if you want to spend a few extra $, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Remember, you need to match the ram you have exactly with same brand and model if you add on. If not you will have to buy new 4M ram(XP only utilizes APPR. 3M ram)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:57:03 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »
Who said anything about building a new computer???????  Actually he may be able to get away with a lower/middle end video card. LCCajun told me he had a 250 watt power supply. Hmmmmm.... I rethunk my original thought. I think a 300W and a 8400GS probably would do the job.

I know him decently well and talk to him on MSN, that is why I mentioned a new PC.  We have discussed it being a possibility.
Last I saw him, he was going to use the GPU from his old PC, and see it if it works better.

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
Hey guys sorry it has been  a lil bit since I checked on here. Thanks again for all the advice I think I am gonna get one built to my standards lol. Just gotta save up the money for it. When I need help with the building or whatever I do I will make sure I post on here thanks again guys <S>.

Death may be a stupid question but will that power supply fit in my comp I read one of the reviews it stated something about being to big. Don't want you to have to search for that just tell me where I could look to see. Thanks man been alot of help.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:27:36 PM by LCCajun »

"SlapShot

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
Hey guys sorry it has been  a lil bit since I checked on here. Thanks again for all the advice I think I am gonna get one built to my standards lol. Just gotta save up the money for it. When I need help with the building or whatever I do I will make sure I post on here thanks again guys <S>.

Death may be a stupid question but will that power supply fit in my comp I read one of the reviews it stated something about being to big. Don't want you to have to search for that just tell me where I could look to see. Thanks man been alot of help.

Get the model number or measure it I suppose. I think Compaq uses a standard size. I owned a Compaq many rears ago and replaced it unless they changed. By the photo, looks like case has really not changed. You should be good to go.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:44:40 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6