Author Topic: Is the KOTH CM's gonna have a January KOTH tourney?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
Re: Is the KOTH CM's gonna have a January KOTH tourney?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:50 AM »
Excellent thought Valkyrie, we have done just that.

:aok
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Christ are we going to need to get a law degree to fly in koth now?

Vlkyrie1

I assume you are not asking me.

My guess is Christ would say:

"A degree in the laws of Physics is helpful."

;)
USMC/71sqn

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »
Don't take it out on the CMs gang, they didn't cause this.  Take it out on the dweeblets that think Winning is more important than Being Able To Win.

Use your energy to teach some new guy a few things about quality of the fight instead of name in lights.

You're going to get far better results from your time.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
Roc what kind of proof do you have of people abusing this?  Is it a huge problem that occurred monthly or was it just sporadic but yet needed attention?  I'm very curious as to how tainted the event had become.  I have my suspicions on who was skirting the rules, but if it became a big problem I think us honest folk need some clarification, and anyone you know was doing this needs at least a year ban from KOTH, or maybe a lifetime ban.  This toejam really pisses me off.  KOTH is almost a sacred event in our world, and to maintain its integrity those who have been gaming it need to be dealt with to the extreme. 

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »
If your going to do that, then allow people to join other peoples planes. See how many dweeblets ruin KOTH. CM eye is much better, no way they can talk to the other person without cheating. If its possible disband squad and PMs.

Any way you do this, you going to get pros and cons. Usually, the first thought is 90% correct. 
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Don't take it out on the CMs gang, they didn't cause this.  Take it out on the dweeblets that think Winning is more important than Being Able To Win. (...)

Roc, I don't think people blame the CM's but question the wisdom of this approach...  The only thing I can think of that disabling CM eye would help is damage reporting.

Personally I think the CM team should answer a few simple questions before they take such steps.  I feel everyone would appreciate a little transparency in this as well.

What is it exactly you are trying to stop?
              Damage Reports? (Can you see anything beyond smoke & missing wingtips in CM eye?)
              Tracking of Pilots? (.wingman?)
              Planning Wingman Tactics? (.wingman?)
              Avoiding Fights? (radar?)
              Avoiding Fighting Friends? (.wingman?)
Basically any tactical information?

What else is there?  Which would be fix by full CM icon control?  Which problem is fixed by no CM eye?

Full icon control is something CM's have wanted from HTC for years.  It would be useful for nearly any event.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
The big gripe is not having anything to do while you are waiting for the next round, Right?

No, my big gripe is removing the transparency of the event that CM eye offers.  Participants are regularly directing the CM's attention to individuals who might be skirting the rules.  With all those eyes on the event, not much gets by without being noticed.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:07 PM »
I really don't see any point of this, because everyone knows the issue.

Looking at the response here, you would think we were closing the KOTH event, not just disabling CM eye.

The fact is CM Eye is not available for use in any SEA event but AHXARL. Why, is obvious, and the why it is not going to be available for use in KOTH is the same. It is to easy for people to relay valuable information to still flying players.

IF the only communication available to pilots in KOTH was the AH radio and text buffer, then that might not be a big deal as we can monitor that.

BUT, communication in AH is not the only means of communication, is it?

Team speak
Rad-direct
magic jack
Cell phones

The list goes on and on.

And there is NO way for us to control any of them, or "catch" them in the act. People can talk away to each other on those (and many other services) all they want with no fear of anyone being the wiser.

And there is not a damn thing we can do about it.

But we can do one thing, make it so those people have little or no information to give. hence no more CM Eye.

For the few of you that never realized this was a situation, well....... now you know. Is EVERYBODY doing it? I doubt it. Are some doing it? Most defiantly. There is even a few post, here and there, that all but state as much.

Those of you that REALLY want KOTH to be what it is supposed to be are going to realize we are doing this to help make KOTH exactly what it is supposed to be.

ONE person VS ALL, with NO HELP.

As for people leaving, I anticipate some will, that is the way it goes sometimes.

But if you are going to leave because of our efforts to increase the integrity of the game? I have to question that.

USMC/71sqn

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
No, my big gripe is removing the transparency of the event that CM eye offers.  Participants are regularly directing the CM's attention to individuals who might be skirting the rules.  With all those eyes on the event, not much gets by without being noticed.

With all due respect Murdr that is not what you said:

I am not going to sit around in the tower for 20-30 minutes at a time twittling my thumbs...........

Now, your latest comment is valid, and is probably the only GOOD argument against not having CM Eye in KOTH. Any solution is going to have it's repercussions, and none of them are perfect. With the fact that radar is on, and the ability of the CM's to move around as quickly as they can, I think that can be handled by them. Also, I am not so crazy about the downed players playing the part of assistant Ref, during the event. If they (CM's) need more people to help we can get them more people.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:24:06 AM by Sled »
USMC/71sqn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
Well Sled.  You are the Head CM...I am the Head Trainer, so forgive me for not instantly going on a diatribe of what I really "think" about this topic right off the bat, as it just wouldn't be appropriate.  But I did already say that and more privately in the hopes that the jist would be picked up and passed along for consideration.  I will say that if you go to the last page of this forum, you will find my name in the first logs posted here, so I do have a very well informed opinion about many aspects of KoTH.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:58:00 PM by Murdr »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »
How about plane type tags only and no name tags,   surely this would eliminate all the grievances except the dot wingman command.  Which IMO is needed to hunt the wabbit.

You could keep CM eye mode on and the winner declared at the end of the round? 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
I only been to one koth, Vanscrew got owned by whoever Hed pe was cough shade cough and said something like F you Bipolar or something like that and went back to the MA :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »
 KOTH is the only true spectator event that we have. I think no CM mode would just retard things. Even if a select few people are abusing it, doesn't make them fly any better, or give them an advantage over me in any way when it comes to the actual fight.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
From what I see, there not going to change their minds. Sled has already made his choice and its going to efect KOTH, the worse way possible. How are the CMs going to figure out who's cheating and who is not? I can practically fly 10K and come flying down and pick everyone to death and there's nothing that can be done, unless one of the players says somthing. I can do anything to break the rules and there would be nothing to stop me, unless either the CM knows or one of the players tell him. I find this to be absolutley ridiculous why we are getting rid of it. Becasue of a few "what if's" comes in. The "what if's" are going to triple now becasue the CMs have no idea whats going on out there.
Sled, I don't know if you have ever gone to KOTH. Maybe you should come out Firday or Saturday this weekend, and you sit in the tower and wait for every match to end before you can up. Then you allow CM eye for one round and you will see the vast diffrence of boring to fun.
AHXRAL has an obvious reason why it has CM eye. KOTH has the exact same reason why its being used. Why not get rid of CMeye in AHXRAL? If your going to get rid of CMeye in the SEA, do it to all of the events, so that no one can complain about that one SE has more rights than the other SE.
This is just realy stupid.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
KOTH is being strangled with all this extra red tape. The 40minutes of rule reading was already painful enough.

When it comes down to it, whether they know where I am, or my damage, they still have to beat me in the actual fight and only they can do that.
-AoM-