Author Topic: Ki-61  (Read 2761 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Ki-61
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but is that wrong?  I remember reading that the 47 and 51 used different types of flaps, and the 47's produced more lift... Or am I misremembering?

The difference between a slotted and plain maneuvering flap does not account for how darn little the P-51's flaps do for it, how the P-47D-11 outurns the P-51 in all configurations despite a significantly higher wingloading, very different from the historical testing, just as the Ki-61 does not turn as well as WWII testing showed.

Judging by the relative improvement in turn radius, you'd have to conclude the Fw-190s split flaps are more efficient than the P-51s, which is just absolutely bizarre.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
The difference between a slotted and plain maneuvering flap does not account for how darn little the P-51's flaps do for it, how the P-47D-11 outurns the P-51 in all configurations despite a significantly higher wingloading, very different from the historical testing, just as the Ki-61 does not turn as well as WWII testing showed.

Judging by the relative improvement in turn radius, you'd have to conclude the Fw-190s split flaps are more efficient than the P-51s, which is just absolutely bizarre.
That is interesting...  But this is the wrong thread for it.  Sorry for the hijack, I'll start another. :salute
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
That is interesting...  But this is the wrong thread for it.  Sorry for the hijack, I'll start another. :salute

Don't, been there, done that, not going to get changed until AHIII and I like the Jug better anyway.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 06:27:15 AM »
I liken the Ki-61 to a bobsled. It'll go pretty fast in a downhill run, but once you get on the deck and turnfighting, you're going to get outrun in a level dash by any of the late-war planes.  On the other hand, because you're slower, you can turn tighter without blacking out due to G's. Also, having two nose-mounted cannons means you don't have to worry about convergence at any range, and the .50s on the outside mean you have some cone of fire for those planes that are in close and are just a bit off your centerline.

I consider the Ki-61 cannons to have a pretty fast rate of fire.

You don't see it much in the Late War arena because it's outclassed in level speed by so many other planes, owing to the fact it has the same engine as the 109E.
==========

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
I liken the Ki-61 to a bobsled. It'll go pretty fast in a downhill run, but once you get on the deck and turnfighting, you're going to get outrun in a level dash by any of the late-war planes.  On the other hand, because you're slower, you can turn tighter without blacking out due to G's. Also, having two nose-mounted cannons means you don't have to worry about convergence at any range, and the .50s on the outside mean you have some cone of fire for those planes that are in close and are just a bit off your centerline.

You don't see it much in the Late War arena because it's outclassed in level speed by so many other planes, owing to the fact it has the same engine as the 109E.
I do like it for these reasons. You have speed if you keep your E up, but if you lose it, you do have the ability to turn fight since it's quite a nimble plane IMHO.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
Don't, been there, done that, not going to get changed until AHIII and I like the Jug better anyway.
Lol I read your post a bit too late...
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »

I disagree to agree.

All I'll say is I'm GRATEFUL that most deem the Ki-61 a "POS". 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »
I disagree to agree.

All I'll say is I'm GRATEFUL that most deem the Ki-61 a "POS". 

Ki-61 is even worse than a POS...
Tours 86 - 296

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
Anyway, we can be glad it doesn't have the FM2 like turning of the original, 'cause that would be scary.  :confused:

It's not far off the turn rate of the FM2.  I fought and beat one one night in a Ki-61.

The only planes I hesitate to get into a fight against when in a Spit XVI are the F4U-1A and the Ki-61.  When I do the pilot makes all the difference.  The Ki is a sweet ride.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Took one to a cv furball the other night, nice fun crate to drive, I would put it in the same bracket as the pony B, in terms of being underestimated and underused.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »
Plane is a piece of crap except for guns  :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
Plane is a piece of crap except for guns  :aok

Let me know when you wish to meet in the DA.   :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
I enjoy the 61 quite a lot.  I do find myself out of or low on ammo more often than most other rides, though.  I agree the cannons are very lethal in close, but with a weak engine it is sometimes difficult to get in close, against an intelligent stick. 

All in all, still a very fun and potent plane.  This guy and the 109F may tie for my favorite spit killers. 

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 04:18:02 PM »
Could it hang with a pony in a dive? Thinking of the split s followed by the run to the ack crowd here. 109 loses ground in a dive, 61 could be a useful tool here.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »
I enjoy the 61 quite a lot.  I do find myself out of or low on ammo more often than most other rides, though.  I agree the cannons are very lethal in close, but with a weak engine it is sometimes difficult to get in close, against an intelligent stick. 

All in all, still a very fun and potent plane.  This guy and the 109F may tie for my favorite spit killers. 
That's one thing. Honestly. I'm never afraid to get into a turn fight in this thing. When I was on my 12th kill and heading home, a Spit5 was catching up to me. I didn't know the model of it right then, but I figured it was a Spit16...he was a decent stick and even then, I promptly out turned him, used my last 8 cannon rounds and blew his wing off, and kept on my way home.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com