Author Topic: kills awarded  (Read 823 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
kills awarded
« on: January 25, 2001, 06:17:00 AM »
It seems there is some level of controversy about the kill award with HOs. IMO the problem is not exactly a HO related one.

In real life, when a fighter damages some vital parts of an enemy and see the con going down, the kill counter increases by one, no matter if you see the other plane crashing on the floor or the pilot bailing.

IMO, if a plane is no more flyable, the kill should be awarded inmediately to the pilot that causes most damage to that plane.

For example, if you:

destroy enemy wing (an entire wing)
destroy enemy elevators
destroy enemy ailerons
destroy enemy wingtips (only in some planes)
cut enemy in half
put enemy on fire

you should be inmediately awarded with the kill.

For example, imagine a fighter tracking two buffs. The fighter destroys first buff left wing and the buff starts going down without control (buff pilot keeps inside). Then the fighter setup an attack against the second buff, but fails, lost a wing and the pilot bails out before the first buff hits the ground.

In the actual situation, only the second buff will have a confirmed kill.

Pepino

kills awarded
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
I second. Will solve the steals as well.

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
kills awarded
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »
Not a bad idea BUT ....

I've lost count of the times I've landed successfully after having lost both ailerons, or after having half a wing sawn off.

Can you imagine the whining when the call goes out, "How could you get awarded a kill.  I landed safely!"

Food for thought.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
kills awarded
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
I did landings without elevator,ailerons,left wing, right wing,bothwing etc..

It aint over till its over

kill it and get credit.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
kills awarded
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »
Jekyl, In planes like 190 or F4, landing with half a wing is possible, in some other planes it is just impossible. Due this I'm talking about considering wing tip destruction as a kill depending on the plane type.

And about landing with no ailerons, well, I admit it is possible, but really, really hard to do.

Anyway, to compensate those "miracles", the award of the kill wouldn't meant the award of the death for the other pilot. You get your kill once you destroy any vital part of the enemy plane, and the other pilot will get his death only once he crashes or bails out.

Pepino

kills awarded
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Besides what Mandoble says, that (valid) point does not negate the utility and fairness of the core thing. Kill awards should be given on a immediate fatal damage basis, not a ground contact basis.

OTOH, whiners will whine whatever the problem and the solution is. Thinking on possible solution to your point, I would say that in the unlikely event of you safely landing that pile of amorphous iron, your perk points should be preserved, but the kill should be awarded to the one that reduced you to that miserable condition. Kind of recognising the merits of both pilots.

Cheers,

Pepe

Pepino

kills awarded
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
Plus, That would solve the "steal kill" issue, and reward the effort of returning home.

Pepe

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
kills awarded
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
And the lag issue?  You would be awarding the kill to the pilot with the best connection.

Sounds like a rediculous proposition to me.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
kills awarded
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
And the lag issue? You would be awarding the kill to the pilot with the best connection.

This one is not clear to me, care to elaborate?

miko

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
kills awarded
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Let's say we go HO at each other, my FE shows your wing depart, but due to netlag, my wing has been shed first on your FE, thus under this proposition, even though both A/C lost a wing simotaneouly, the one with the fastest connection registers it to the server, thus giving the kill to the faster connection.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
kills awarded
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Let's say we go HO at each other, my FE shows your wing depart, but due to netlag, my wing has been shed first on your FE, thus under this proposition, even though both A/C lost a wing simotaneouly, the one with the fastest connection registers it to the server, thus giving the kill to the faster connection.

Rip, with this proposition both planes will have the kill award, and both planes will have de death.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
kills awarded
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Mandoble, then your proposition is similiar to what Warbirds has now? Co-mutual death?  If thats the case, I've argued to have this implemented with HT, but his position is that the current method takes away the likelyhood of a head on, I argue that it promotes the HO since you have a 50/50 chance of winning, since currently whoever hits the silk or the ground first loses...

If thats the case, I couldn't agree more, co-mutual death for both parties, I think this would promote trying for position.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 01-25-2001).]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
kills awarded
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Ripsnort, my proposal is not necessary related to HO neither to a mutual death.
To clarity it:

- If you destroy vitals part of a plane you get a kill award inmediately. The other plane is "marked" as dissabled to give more kill awards to any other plane until it exits the space by landing, ditching, crashing or bailing of the pilot. While the enemy is falling or attemting to land, if some other plane fires and hits it, it will awarded only with an assist and only once the victim crashes, explodes or bails out.

- If you crash your plane, explode or bail out, you are awarded by a death/bail.

An example step by step along the time:
Two fighters attacks a single buff

1 - First Fighter opens fire and destroy buff elevators.
(First fighter pilot is awarded inmediately with a kill)
2 - While going down the buff gunned managed to shoot at the fighter and blows up one of its wings. (buff is inmediately awarded with a kill)
3 - First Fighter pilot bails out (First fighter pilot adds a new bail to his score).
4 - Second fighter dives on the falling buff, fires and eliminates both buff wings, all the turrets, wound the pilot and damage the rudder. (nothing happens)
5 - buff crashes without bailing (buff pilot adds a new death to his score, the second fighter pilot gets an assist).

TheWobble

kills awarded
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
I think the kill should be awarded as soon as the enemy's or your plane is damaged to the point that it can no longer fly
I.E. wing totally gone....etc

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
kills awarded
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2001, 08:30:00 PM »
A couple things:

A.  The slower connect generally gets the kill in a HO.  (I have 2 computers and I know this is true.)

B.  I landed without both elevators safely once, so this can't work either.  (It was just a few days ago too.    I had to control my desent with the throttle.)

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS