Author Topic: Need a trainer/mentor  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Need a trainer/mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 01:59:19 AM »
Any time any of you want to duel k4's (again), let me know.

Yessir! That was great fun! Are you available around 0400 GMT anytime soon?

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
I'll probably be on tomorrow.
-AoM-

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Hey, I was hoping someone out there might be willing to give me a hand. Im looking for someone to fly with me, and help me learn the more advanced aspects of dogfighting. Ive tried going into the DA with some of the better sticks, and unfortunately ive been told I'm at the point where im not a great stick, but I'm beyond the point where they can help me.

who ever told you that was wrong, every fight is a benitfit to both people playing.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:18:53 AM »

who ever told you that was wrong, every fight is a benitfit to both people playing.

I think what was meant was that they couldn't give any pointers. Of course, you should know, lol. You said it to me after a few duels in P-47D-11s a few months back.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
I had an inkling thats who you were refering to. What i said was, me giving pointers only has value untill the first time you fight someone who flies different to me. That for anyone to learn dogfighting fully they would have to fight as many people as possible and as regularly as possible.

Ive tried going into the DA with some of the better sticks, and unfortunately ive been told I'm at the point where im not a great stick, but I'm beyond the point where they can help me.

Are you trying to convince yourself that i said something like this quote above? that kind of patronising setance to blow your self confidence ....and...'beyond the point where they can help me'....is the kind of person you think i am? You have a very creative imagination mate, unless this was a quote from someone else.  :huh
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:56:04 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:47:41 AM »
I had an inkling thats who you were refering to. What i said was, me giving pointers only has value untill the first time you fight someone who flies different to me. That for anyone to learn dogfighting fully they would have to fight as many people as possible and as regularly as possible.

Are you trying to convince yourself that i said something like this quote above? that kind of patronising setance to blow your self confidence ....and...'beyond the point where they can help me'....is the kind of person you think i am? You have a very creative imagination mate, unless this was a quote from someone else.  :huh

Nosir, that's a paraphrase of a sentence I have heard from many different people. You were more optimistic. It's not that I am told I'm bad, but I guess what they mean is I don't need to be taught the basics, I just need more experience behind the stick, which fits much more with what you in particular said. Then there's the "There's not much I can help you with, just keep at it" and "I don't know how I do it, I just do" that I tend to get a lot. Check PMs for a more specific response.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 04:12:18 AM »
When it comes to teaching people how to fight, I for one have a pretty limited technical knowledge base, and my time and interest level keeps me from expanding on that too drastically.

When I'm teaching someone to fight, I'm doing it in "layman's terms" because that's quite simply how I know it.  I've read loads of books, etc, on the subject, and have some basic ideas of what I'm trying to do/replicate, but I'll admit I'm far from an expert.

Mainly, when I'm teaching I'm very quick to recognize weaknesses/mistakes that I can capitolize on.  Most of my training has to do with pointing those mistakes out to my "student" and describing/showing/teaching "better" methods that will eliminate or at least limit things that I would capitolize on in a fight.  I'm essentially teaching my student's (or attempting to teach) to beat me. 

When a student reaches a point where they're equal to me, or exceed my abilities, I'm "out of ideas" for the most part, and can't teach them much beyond that...

Fortunately (for my ego?) I haven't had that happen all that much- but I'll be the first to admit I'm not "expert" quality...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
The secret (IMO) isn't in the teacher...its in the student. 1 on 1 ACM is wonderfully complex and very subtle differences can have huge effects. I think Bat and I know each other exceptionally well but every single fight I learn something new. I often find myself waiting on bat...who's waiting on me as we both creep up (we seem to fly forever up at 65IAS) or flutter down (again often at falling leaf speeds) only to split and re merge. Doesnt matter if I go E or he goes angles...once again cockeyed, nose up, shuddering...loaded, unloaded in a tail slide 75 feet away looking to see what his rudder is doing as we start to tumble...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
ok good, thanks for clearing that up for me  :salute

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »
Take their advice and track down Bighorn.  I think the weeks I spent with Bighorn in the DA were the best I've ever been at dogfighting.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer