Author Topic: Need a trainer/mentor  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer/mentor
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:16:55 AM »
Hey, I was hoping someone out there might be willing to give me a hand. Im looking for someone to fly with me, and help me learn the more advanced aspects of dogfighting. Ive tried going into the DA with some of the better sticks, and unfortunately ive been told I'm at the point where im not a great stick, but I'm beyond the point where they can help me. And yet no matter how I practice, I really havn't gotten any better.

My main ride is the Bf-109 again. When I really started struggling again I figured it would be best to return to my roots, so im back in my Messerschmitt. I've been giving the G2 a go lately. I don't want to learn the art of picking, or boom-and-zoom, but rather how to really fight in that, or really any aircraft.

Is anyone available to do some hands-on training every now and then? Or at least review some films and tell me where Im screwing up? Thank you in advance!

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Re: Need a trainer/mentor
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »
Rather fly k4's but next time you see me on pm me. I'll duel you for a good hour or so
-AoM-

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
Rather fly k4's but next time you see me on pm me. I'll duel you for a good hour or so

K-4s are fine with me. I think I do a fair bit better in those than Gs. I just saw you online a few minutes ago, are you still on?

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:21 AM »
Just checking the forums before going to bed. I should be on at this time tomorrow night.
-AoM-

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:38:07 AM »
The best advice I think anyone can give you is to find out what name Bighorn is using right now and track him down. Not only is he a pretty good pilot, but he's also a very good teacher.

The next best thing is just spend a lot of time spent in the DA.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »
Hey Serenity, what's this I hear about me stick stirrin?  :noid

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Hey Serenity, what's this I hear about me stick stirrin?  :noid

lol. You were stirrin up and down all over! And that certainly didn't help my horrible aim! (I ran out of cannon ammo about 10 seconds before you ran out of fuel).

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 07:26:51 AM »
I was flyen a FW190 A8 as the ENY was 26. As I don't fly 190's often I may have been a bit aggressive rolling and wigglin on the deck. Sri...didn't mean to stick stir.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
I was flyen a FW190 A8 as the ENY was 26. As I don't fly 190's often I may have been a bit aggressive rolling and wigglin on the deck. Sri...didn't mean to stick stir.

Thats okay, but when your aim is as bad as mine, every movement makes it hell! Why wouldn't you just fly straight so I could shoot you?!?  :furious

Back on topic, ive been doing some work with Scotch, are there any third-party pilots willing to review films and catch any errors of mine he might miss in the heat of the fight?

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »
Hey Serenity,

Some tips in a 109, keep it fast! Remember, the 109's can reduce it's speed VERY FAST, and you can sustain the plane just well under 100mph, It may not sound much, but not every plane can reduce it's speed so fast. I Understand that you don't want to learn bnz, well, this plane was mostly created for that. But, you can have a good dogfight with many planes. In a dogfight, when you are fighting, and you are low on speed, or in a stall, try ALWAYS to turn LEFT. Or reduce throttle and then turn right. Don't be afraid to stall the plane, as you already know, the plane can recover in seconds or less. When in a dogfight, don't get low with a better turning opponent, because if you do that, it will end up in a circle, and he is pulling the stick back hitting flaps like mad, and so do you, he will win in a short time if you keep it like this. When you are above the enemy in a fight ( a loop for example ), reduce the throttle to 0 and drop on his head, the pick up speed fast, follow his tail. There are many tips i could show you, when you see me on-line, tell me to go in DA with you. <S> !

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
I'm curious as to who had the audacity to say that to you Serenity.  Personally, I prefer the 109F4, I use it 99% of the time.  Engine performance is almost to the Gustavs, it is tougher to compress and it turns great.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:24:47 AM »
Keep dueling better pilots.  Film what happens.  Try to figure out what you could have done better every time you die.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »
Keep dueling better pilots.  Film what happens.  Try to figure out what you could have done better every time you die.

:aok

Stop by the DA next weekend if you can, Serenity...  I plan on getting my butt handed to me by some people there then, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind beating up on you too :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »
Hey Serenity,

Some tips in a 109, keep it fast! Remember, the 109's can reduce it's speed VERY FAST, and you can sustain the plane just well under 100mph, It may not sound much, but not every plane can reduce it's speed so fast. I Understand that you don't want to learn bnz, well, this plane was mostly created for that. But, you can have a good dogfight with many planes. In a dogfight, when you are fighting, and you are low on speed, or in a stall, try ALWAYS to turn LEFT. Or reduce throttle and then turn right. Don't be afraid to stall the plane, as you already know, the plane can recover in seconds or less. When in a dogfight, don't get low with a better turning opponent, because if you do that, it will end up in a circle, and he is pulling the stick back hitting flaps like mad, and so do you, he will win in a short time if you keep it like this. When you are above the enemy in a fight ( a loop for example ), reduce the throttle to 0 and drop on his head, the pick up speed fast, follow his tail. There are many tips i could show you, when you see me on-line, tell me to go in DA with you. <S> !

Only keep the 109 Fast in a Target rich Environment. The 109 isn't a 190. It cannot take accuracy shots going above 375IAS because the elevators get super heavy making adjusting your shots difficult. Keep it fast but do not be scared to slow her down and mix it up. Keep the fights nose up and in the verticle in the G2 and if you start getting saddled, start rolling and turning. Always try to toss your enemy in a scissors and let your flaps, throttle, and rudder take over. G2 is one of the best scissors aircraft because she can bleed speed very easily and often able to stall your opponent out with a nose up scissors. Just make sure while you're in scissoring if it gets to stall point fights, hard right rudder to keep the nose level or she will wing over.

I prefer the G6 for knife fighting because the G2 is unstable at those speeds and will wing over if you push it too far. Just put the 109 in every situation possible, that's how i learn. I'm learning the 190 now and i've been turning with it, slow dogfighting, the works and i've actually start to see good results. Even taking down muppets in her  :O :O :O so just film, review, learn and you'll be good to go.  :aok

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
Any time any of you want to duel k4's (again), let me know.
-AoM-