Author Topic: FSO: 1945 - Operation August Storm (Russian vs. Japan)  (Read 4508 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: FSO: 1945 - Operation August Storm (Russian vs. Japan)
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »
+1
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
The Bf110C-4 would be a good sub for the Pe-2.  It has a slightly better gun package and slightly worse ability to carry ord.  The Bf110C-4 has the same speed as the Pe-2 as well.  Or, another sub for the Pe-4 might be the TBM with the 12/100lb bombs.  Please consider it.  It wouldnt be right to for the Soviets not to have a light bomber (outside of the B25).

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »
Will consider the Bf110-C4
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 05:43:36 AM »
i may be in minority here but i belive we should keep it as historical as we can, meaning putting the fuel burn rate at 1.0
and giving both sides their respective planes no mattar what.
ofcourse the objective of those scenarios is to have as much fun as possible.
fun comes from good fights, and good fights come from a balanced plane set.
so the CMs balance things out by spiliting the forces around 50-50, limiting the numbers of the "good" planes and adding subs for holes in the plane set.

in case of this scenario i belive we can pull this off with the "uber" La7 and the il2 and maybe the 110 as the Pe2.
keep the fuel at 1.0 as it allways is and should be.
my knowledge is lacking on both late war russian and japaneese planes, but i belive the shart legs of the LA7 + the obligation to cover the low Il2s and 110s will balance the gap in performence.
that and maybe give the russians harder targets?

anyway i have 100% trust in the CM team to solve the puzzle of a fun and ballanced game and still keep it as historical as possible, i know you work hard for those scenarios to come out.
thanks and <S>

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »
Agreed on the fuel burn, it should be kept at 1.0. It SHOULD be a major consideration of the squad leaders and CiCs when planning their flightplans and power settings.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Ummm, please don't sub the 110 for the Pe-2.

Secondly, the La-7 is nothing special above 10k ft.  The Yak-9U is the fastest Russian fighter.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
Fuel burn rate is at 1.0 for the 1st frame. Depending on results I could lower it if I deem it necessary for play balance.

As CMs we do try to keep things historical but we also have factor in play balance and player fun. If it was historical the Russians would out number the Japanese in the air about 5 to 1. So as a CM I make compromises because I want both sides to have a chance and I want both sides to enjoy the event. Also I am sort of limited by terrains. I would much rather have this over in Manchuria but the closest I can get is the Japan terrain (Japan and North Korea), so again a little fudging and creating a what if scenario to give the players something new.

Now I can inject the IL-2 .. personally I think it will get slaughtered, which is why I kept it out. Who wants to fly in a dead man's plane. But yes, I can still inject and then leave it up to the CiCs to use. Although I do think that the Russians used medium bombers more in this campaign since it was fluid and the Japanese did not have a massive armor force like the Germans did. So leaving out the IL-2 is no big deal.

As for the La-7. I have talked and discussed things with other CMs on this issue and while there were some involved I am not sure of how many. I know La5Ns were involved but again not sure of the mix between the two planes. The most modern planes were in the east and still be transferred west to this front (war in Europe just ended about 4 to 5 months ago and the logistical capability from Europe to the Far east was .. primitive to say the least for the Russians). So for frame 1 I am leaving the La-7 out. Again if the results of frame 1 indicate the Russians need a bit of an oomph or if other factors make me think it is okay I will introduce the La-7 in limited quantities in other frames.
CM Terrain Team

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
Hmmm.. The 13th, is so torn on this FSO..  Dont know which side to pick....   
Couple ?,s.  Will there be la 7's?   If so how many?  ...  Tuk :rolleyes: 
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
Per ghost in the post right above yours: None in Frame 1. Frame 2 and 3 depending on how things look in Frame 1.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
There were Regiments of Soviet Navy IL-10s involved in the campaign, but mainly as anti-shipping and port strikes.  Due to the ranges involved tactical air was lacking, with medium bombers picking up the slack.

I would believe that the LA-7 was there in numbers more so than the P-39Q, but there was so little JAAF resistance in the real battle that it would not have mattered either way.  The designer knows what he wants and is making a reasoned call.

An interesting read of the actual battle can be found in this RAND Corporation document.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/reports/2005/R1825.pdf
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Jaxxon

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »
Hmmm.. The 13th, is so torn on this FSO..  Dont know which side to pick....   
Couple ?,s.  Will there be la 7's?   If so how many?  ...  Tuk :rolleyes: 

353rd FG is in the same boat here, 50/50 split on what side to fly. Having a duel to settle it  :devil
"I had found the one thing I loved above all others, to me it wasn't a bussiness or a profession, but a wonderful game".
WA Bishop

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
Now I can inject the IL-2 .. personally I think it will get slaughtered, which is why I kept it out. Who wants to fly in a dead man's plane. But yes, I can still inject and then leave it up to the CiCs to use.
Had to snip that part.  I can tell you sir, that when I was CiC in one of the Tunisia frames, the guys in Stukas got absolutely clobbered.  I felt bad for them really and it was hard to plan where to send them.  The one good thing was a second life.  I know most folks and from what I hear most CM's don't like 2nd lives because they're a pain to keep up with, but I would say use it if you had to use the IL-2 or like you said make it optional to use.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »
I will think about it for frame 2. Not saying yes or now and I need to do some endurance testing of the IL2. All targets in frame 1 are 100 to 125 miles away from a launch base. So 200 - 250 miles round trip.
CM Terrain Team

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:26 AM »
not that my opinion matters... but I think if the aircraft was present in the far east, and AH2 has it available, then it should available for use.  HOWEVER, I have no issues with putting a limit on the numbers able to be used.

Also, if there is a major player like the Pe-2, Ki-45, or other such aircraft that is not present in the game, there are aircraft close in approximate ability then allow for a sub.  Heck, the TBM is close enough to the Pe-2 in performance to be allowed, IMO.  Ditto for the Bf110C-4 and the Pe-2 or even the Ki-45.  Perhaps even the Boston (no flights) for the Pe-2.

Fill up the skies with as many DIFFERENT types of aircraft available, especially the historically correct one. 

:salute
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
Like ghostdancer has said lets run frame 1 way things are see how it shakes out
You don't have to be crazy but it helps