Author Topic: Correct way to play AH2?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Correct way to play AH2?
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
The fact that we got 7 pages of different views on what is appropriate game play just goes to show there is no one way to play the game. What are there, a couple thousand people paying to play? We have people from all over the world, 8 to 80, blind, crippled and crazy. Spoiled brats, know it alls,alpha males and losers. Most play to win and a few will go to ANY lengths to achieve that goal. Some get satisfaction in just getting a kill while others care about HOW they got the kill. Some want easy mode,some want hard mode.

I guess my take on the correct way to play is to realize we're playing a GAME with all types of people and personalities, likes and dislikes, and take that into consideration and just have a good time.

I'm just now coming to the conculsion that I'll never be as good as I'd like to be in this game, no matter how good my stats or rank are, I'll never get to the point where I'll win every fight everytime. And that's a good thing because if that day ever came, the challenge would be over and so would the fun of it all. :salute

Sanity finally finds words.

Uptown  :salute

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Agreed, well said Uptown.

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »
Last night I found ten ponies attacking one of our fields and when I engaged there were three coalt ponies that decided to attack and ignore me. They didnt have bombs or rockets but they did not want a long protracted fight they wanted fast kills even if it meant they died before they could get the first one. It did.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
I think game play issues really fall on the vets' shoulders.  The longer you play, the more skilled you become, the more responsibility you have in making the game fair.  If you've been playing for 10 years and all you fly is Temps, La7's, and Chogs and pick pick pick, that's very tard like.  I am not bothered the least bit by the new guys B&Zing, flying La7s and spit16's (or HOing for that matter) because this is a good starting point and a great way to be competitive at your skill level.  What annoys the heck out of me is vets who have been around forever still flying the uber planes, avoiding combat, and setting a bad example for other players who respect them.

Hmm, Irony comes to mind  :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »
Actually this is a pretty good example of the lack of nuance...  Absolutely you should fly to your rides strenghts, and not to the opponents strengths.  But if your "flying to your 51s strengths" results in a HO so much...Then I'm not surpised you're getting grief all the time.  Because that is not the result I see from good pony sticks.  It sounds to me like you're doing something other than flying to its strengths.

Well as it was pointed out to me in a post after that, what I was calling a ho, and I was being accused of, is not actually ho'ing. So what I calling a Ho is actually a pick which I don't know if that is any better in the eyes of some players!
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
And to add to my last post I'm 43 and have no skills and probably will never have any, but I like playing the game and I have fun at it. And I use to complain mostly to squad mates about what other players would do to me and I learned after 2 years its a game and now I just  :salute them and go on with having fun, made the game a lot more enjoyable and just say sorry when I get the unpleasant PM's.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
but I like playing the game and I have fun at it.
If this is the case, I think you are playing the game correctly.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Although saluting someone who does something lame is about equal to coming home to find someone in your home looting it and just standing aside so as to not get in the way. Oh.. shake his hand on the way out.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Nice post NB.

Thie whole discussion is a cascading effect of ignroance.  Serously.  These gameplay issues are almost always a matter of context.  In one context, the issue might be a perfectly valid tactic.  In another context, the issue might be a poor choice, or worse yet, taken to extremes it may have a bad effect on overall gameplay.

The cascade effect starts when people chime in who are completely ignorant of the context, and have no knowledge base about the nuances that make an action perfectly valid in one instance, and stupid or bad for AH's overall gameplay in another instance.  Then they start arguing among themselves, neither side truely understanding what they're talking about.

Could not have said it better.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
And to add to my last post I'm 43 and have no skills and probably will never have any, but I like playing the game and I have fun at it.

:rofl I feel your pain man. That sentence right there sums up alot for me. Here I am 44 yrs old laughing at how ridiculous some of us talk about "skills" in a video game. I got all into this video game the last few years and let my real skills I have fall to the wayside. Not many people know this about me, but I used to work in a custom hotrod shop and I can build a car from the ground up. I got a old truck in my garage I haven't worked on for 3 years because it's just easier and cheaper to sit down at my computer,escape reality and become a fighter pilot.

Yeah, I got skills. I have the nicest house on my street, bought the house next door and gave it to my mother-n-law. I got a beautiful wife that has put up with my sitting here for hours on end playing a game while she does the housework, cooks my food and mixes my drinks. I got 2 healthy wonderful boys that get all As&Bs in school and they look up to me as their hero. I got a good dog and live where you can leave the door unlocked and know the neighbors are lookin' out for me and my stuff. I'm a ole country boy. Like Hank says, I can grow tomatoes and make homemade wine. I can fix a leaky roof, dress a deer and catch fish with a milk jug, some string and a hook.

So if some faceless name whips his cartoon 109 around and shoots me in the face, is that really all that important in the grand scheme of things? This game has made me lazy and neglectful of what really matters in life. I haven't played much in the last few weeks because all this is just a distraction to what really matters. It's nice to be able to sit down and play, but even better sometimes not to. :aok
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:42:31 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
I found it interesting that one of the driving factors of the original argument as well as the argument of it. I often hear everyone say oh hey its LW (insert whatever group or type) coming in here and ruining MW, heard it the other way as well. This statement holds true for nearly all sub arenas of the MA.

Doesn't that in itself, as evidence from everyone who has chimed in on this thread alone; some from names I've never heard of because I do not frequent their arena of choice. Bring those "others" into that very arena claiming to be "infected" Look at the stats, thats a lot of people all with varying opinions. Not to mention those that read but never spoke.

What I find to be even more alarming is the male to female ratio in this entire forum is a staggering 44:1. Are we in Alaska?

According to the statistics at the time of this post, that would mean there are around 276 women in here. Imagine if that was halved to 22:1. There would be almost 600! Think of the arguments you would have then.

The lesson learned form that says your math teacher was right, you will need it someday! So unless you want a bunch of woman drivers in here, (though I hear some called that a lot :D) you better quit arguing! If Ive learned anything its that women will eventually always find there way to an argument!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:37:44 PM by Ratpack1 »
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
What I find to be even more alarming is the male to female ratio in this entire forum is a staggering 44:1. Are we in Alaska?

It's probably far worse... somehow I have the feeling relatively more men don't even care to specify their gender on the BBS. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman