Author Topic: Your merge?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Your merge?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »
Thanks for those links Ack Ack, in all seriousness, I merge depending on what the nme is doing, and generally try and dominate him from there (not that I'm that good, but I try every single time)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »
Use these as a building block.

Mastering the Merge

Opening Moves

Lead Turns

Read those articles and it will give you the necessary foundation to build on.

ack-ack

thanks dude.....bookmarked for lunchtime reading.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
nosir....no sarcasm intended. i see em try to reset for the ho every time i let them that far away from me. that's the only reason i was asking.

Rgr, i probably got my #'s wrong... just taking a guess since I'm not actually up. Like most, I fly by feel and what I can predict.  Once you pass them by your moving pretty fast and 800 comes quick....it's sometime after that. Doing wing overs when they are 800 out sometimes gets me killed and split S's might still need more room for me to come out on top ....with spits or ki 's that is.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
any merge that has me still flying after 2 turns....
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:01 AM »
any merge that has me still flying after 2 turns....

wait?!

you're supposed to turn??  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
given all of the good comments/411 I thought i'd tag a few clips on here for any newer sticks (or those who really arent merge/"duel" types) and want an overview of the merge tactics and how they apply to a fight. Obviously for a true merge we need a 1 on 1 and relative E states within a reasonable range.

While good merge technique is always important its essential if you are in the "inferior" plane or position. The bigger the disadvantage the more important the technique is. The goal is to entice a foe to trade his superiority for what appears to be a winning solution. Ideally the merge itself creates an exploitable positional advantage that you can maintain and capitalize on. The better you make things look to the bogey the more aggressive he'll be and the greater advantage you can gain. I've always felt this is the single best "training clip" I ever happened to film. No merge is perfect but this has the clear displacement, hook, "bait" and reverse with good in/out of plane transitions tied to lag/lead, flaps & throttle combined with "good" [for me at least] gunnery. http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/P40vN1ki.ahf

This clip is from the 2nd Rangoon frame, I've left it unedited so its a bit long (11 min or so). I think its interesting from a merge view point since it shows both an initial E merge and fight which later sets up an angles merge from a very similar"look". The context of the scenario provides a "real" backdrop...at this point I'm the only scout left and we're both within the context of a bigger picture...http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/Rangoon/frame%202/

Out of all thats here I think the comments on "fly your plane and the other guys" are the most important to learn.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
Thanks Humble, something to look forward to when I get home  ;) :salute

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
this is very useful information thank you guys AkAk that page is a goldmine. Oh and thank you suns for the impromptu 1v1s whompin the other night.....studied the films of that merge and employed it a bit....works quite well.

Y'all muppets have been very kind in sharing the wonders of the 1 oh nine.....fun planeset to learn and fight in. I preciate it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:54:33 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »
You guys think too hard. Avoid the HO, run away, wait 'til they engage with someone else, and then pick 'em.
Retired

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »
Assuming 109.

1.)  Dive for speed.
2.)  Left wing roll-over to avoid HO and merge beneath EAC.
3.)  Slow, left wing spiral climb.
4.)  Approach stall, 100% right rudder, 100% right aileron, 20% nose up elevator, reduce power, deploy flaps full.
5.)  Await opponent stall.
6.)  Increase power, 100% left rudder, 100% left aileron, 50% nose up elevator, increase power, retract flaps.
7.)  Nose over left wing/shoulder.
8.)  Saddle up.
9.)  Waste all my taters on one warping EAC.
10.)  RTB and AFK beer.
:aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 08:33:26 AM »
Assuming 109.

1.)  Dive for speed.
2.)  Dive for more speed.
3.)  Dive for even more speed.
4.)  Level out above tree tops.
5.)  Jink left
6.)  Jink right
7.)  Pull nose up
8.)  Push nose down
9.)  Jink left - right - up - down
10.)  Die

:D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
 :lol
See Rule #4

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
The goal is to entice a foe to trade his superiority for what appears to be a winning solution. Ideally the merge itself creates an exploitable positional advantage that you can maintain and capitalize on. The better you make things look to the bogey the more aggressive he'll be and the greater advantage you can gain.

And that my friend is why you get a "punchers" chance when we fight. If I know it is you, or if after the merge I can see that the other guy knows what he is doing, my approach to the fight is completely different. What might appear to be an opportunity might really be a trap, and if the opportunity is not capitalized on then you are in deep poo, so cautious aggressiveness and careful decision making is a must.

Guys like you, Cobia, AKAK, Greebo and others present what appears to be a golden shot opportunity (the cheese in the trap) and once the opponent has committed, you easily spoil the opportunity and reverse the situation to your advantage and the next thing you know ... your in the tower.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:13:29 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
You guys think too hard. Avoid the HO, run away, wait 'til they engage with someone else, and then pick 'em.

yaknow........if that weren't so common, i'd have laughed at your joke.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"