Author Topic: Your merge?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: Your merge?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
If the guy your fighting has 1/2 a clue he won't HO on any merge, puts you in a disadvantageous position.

If the other guy is working for an angle on the merge and doesnt HO, I put my feet back on my rudder pedals and sit up a little straighter.   :aok

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »
the reality is that its all "read and react", if we look at Dano's comments as an example...

He's describing a very correct merge for a 190 or jug....now the flip is that the correct defense can easily be to present that flat turn and convert to a low yoyo. bluekitty and greebo are two of the best at setting this up (shawk in c hog also). The goal being to sequence the fight so that the con is nose down and pulling for the perceived shot but aborts to the vertical while the "victim" has gone nose down and has the E to convert a 400-600 yd pop up shot...its all games within games at that level. Meanwhile a good stick like Dano will abort the pass early and hang on the prop to play whack a mole on the pop up...while the con has converted to an oblique 2 circle fight to meet the threat going up...which forces Dano to counter and now you have a fight....and just as both guys really get going some noob comes in to swoop and killshoots Dano as he fires a golden bb canopyshot, misses his shot on the bogie and lawndarts but causes a collison that augers our "con"....welcome to the MA :O

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
The first paragraphs of both Dano's and Sonic's post are concepts newbies and noobz alike should take note of. 

The truly good pilots in this game not only fly their own plane, but also their opponent's.  Think about it.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
I just twist my stick while moving it up and down, when I get excited----> I do it faster  :D

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
I just twist my stick while moving it up and down, when I get excited----> I do it faster  :D

had i never seen you flying by i would at first have taken this to be a not-so subtle masterbation joke, but i ve seen you fly so i know its the truth!  :rofl  :rofl
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
Triple Immel is fun sometimes, usually always results in the other guy stalling out as if he tries to match.  Cool thing, you only need around only need 350mph IAS to pull one off in a P-38.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »
had i never seen you flying by i would at first have taken this to be a not-so subtle masterbation joke, but i ve seen you fly so i know its the truth!  :rofl  :rofl

you're my inspiration baby  :aok  bring more deuces  :rofl :rofl

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

careful there dude......would be embarrassing explaining that in the ER.  :D :rofl :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
Ram!
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 02:17:14 PM »
in all seriousness.....i know TO merge, but never know just exactly HOW to merge, till i see what the other guy is doing. once i see, i do what i think feels right for the situation. sometimes i'm right, and quite often, i'm wrong. as long as it ends up in a fun fight, it's all good.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
Decide what you want to do after the merge and how to merge should be fairly easy to figure out.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
in all seriousness.....i know TO merge, but never know just exactly HOW to merge, till i see what the other guy is doing. once i see, i do what i think feels right for the situation. sometimes i'm right, and quite often, i'm wrong. as long as it ends up in a fun fight, it's all good.

Use these as a building block.

Mastering the Merge

Opening Moves

Lead Turns

Read those articles and it will give you the necessary foundation to build on.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
BUT that far out, don't you give him another chance to ho ya again?

I don't know if your being sarcastic or you want me to emphasis.

There are a few ways to maneuver after the initial merge. Sometimes I'll let what I see him do in the last 1/2 second before we pass determine what i will do in response to it.

If he comes in from a higher angle and appears to be looking for the HO ( which is 70% of time) I do my best to avoid and pull up slightly while extending. I fully expect him to do an Immel which 70% of the time they will do and continue to extend slightly nose up. Once he's lost some speed and following about 1.5 out or so I'll split S or wing over (+2.0 or further) and gain speed for the next maneuver usually coming up under him before another HO shot can be acquired. He  normally tries another Immel and at that point i catch him in vertical scissors either looking for the snap or lead shot...or whatever I can use to get on his six as our fight continues.>> throt and rudder management.

Everyone has there own ways but I normally let my opponent decide by judging his speed, angle of attack and what i see he might attempt to do as we pass. I don't think there is any one sure way to do it that fits every time.

[/img]

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:31:57 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
Like moot said, make sure you you choose your merge for the way you want to fight. Each merge in the pictures above, has a corresponding pourpose.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
I don't know if your being sarcastic or you want me to emphasis.

There are a few ways to maneuver after the initial merge. Sometimes I'll let what I see him do in the last 1/2 second before we pass determine what i will do in response to it.

If he comes in from a higher angle and appears to be looking for the HO ( which is 70% of time) I do my best to avoid and pull up slightly while extending. I fully expect him to do an Immel which 70% of the time they will do and continue to extend slightly nose up. Once he's lost some speed and following about 1.5 out or so I'll split S or wing over (+2.0 or further) and gain speed for the next maneuver usually coming up under him before another HO shot can be acquired. He  normally tries another Immel and at that point i catch him in vertical scissors either looking for the snap or lead shot...or whatever I can use to get on his six as our fight continues.>> throt and rudder management.

Everyone has there own ways but I normally let my opponent decide by judging his speed, angle of attack and what i see he might attempt to do as we pass. I don't think there is any one sure way to do it that fits every time.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)[/img]

nosir....no sarcasm intended. i see em try to reset for the ho every time i let them that far away from me. that's the only reason i was asking.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"