Author Topic: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »
Because we know everyone has their map up in the middle of a heated dogfight.  :rolleyes:

I do, and when getting close to a field or a spawn point it's part of my overall SA .. trying to know where I am and keep every possible danger in mind. When theres combat close to a spawn point, there's usually a Gv battle too, which means tanks, jabos hunting tanks, wirbels defending the tanks or looking to get to a town. Spawn points are almost never "out there" but near bases.

But more important. What area are we talking about? How many furballs are truly ruined by magically appearing Wirbels? That is the point that is grossly exaggerated. There are only single points where wirbels can spawn, almost always close to bases.

The Wirbel effect on furballs (and that's what Anaxogaras is complaining about) is basically nil. You could also complain about field ack or CV ack interference on furballs.

I have been shot down by a Wirbel while being low & slow, I cursed the lame-azz-wirbel-dweeb for it (not on any game channel though ;) ) but not even in my wildest dreams I would ever have thought to come to the BBS and demand any kind of action
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
I favor a change in ENY to somewhere in the 10-15 range, but no perk.  If the rate of fire and turret traverse are historically inaccurate then it needs to be corrected.  I still maintain that the easiest way to deal with Wirbels is with tanks, bombs, better SA, and removal of the VH that could spawn them. 

Curiosity question->Are there other vehicles or planes that have these sort of claimed inaccuracies that make them perform better than they should?  If yes, then which ones?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
Perk the supply train too!! :furious

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
I favor a change in ENY to somewhere in the 10-15 range, but no perk.  If the rate of fire and turret traverse are historically inaccurate then it needs to be corrected.  I still maintain that the easiest way to deal with Wirbels is with tanks, bombs, better SA, and removal of the VH that could spawn them. 

Curiosity question->Are there other vehicles or planes that have these sort of claimed inaccuracies that make them perform better than they should?  If yes, then which ones?

Pretty much all the tanks are inaccurate, for the simple reason that if you have an AP shell loaded, you can instantly change to HE and vice-versa.  It also seems like the turret traverse speeds for our tanks are too fast, or were dependent on the engine power for the speed they posses in the game, etc.

In general the gv models in Aces High are nowhere close to the standard of the aircraft models, and that's why I still think this is primarily an air-combat game.  If you want a tank sim, there are far better choices on the market.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
     Wondering how low over a spawn some of you get anyway. 
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »
I can't believe no one has brought this up as another power of the WW... ground capabilities.  Two decent whirlybirds can drop a town in a matter of 3-4 minutes.  Bring more than that and its even quicker.  If you know where the town ack guns are located, you can knock them out easily enough -- then you're all set.  On top of that, the ability to easily knock out soft gvs (or track hard ones) from up to 1k, and get them with some difficulty up to 1.7k or so makes it an effective ground pounder. 

I think eny should remain where it is, but decrease turret speed and ROF or accuracy.  This would make it slightly less potent against aircraft, towns, and soft gvs.  Don't perk it though...no need to entirely deprive people of the beast.  :aok

By the way, may I mention this thread has remained largely troll-free.  Way to go folks  :rock

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
Perk the supply train too!! :furious

Dude the trains aaa is so ungodly as to be true evil, if the bases or cv fleet has 37mm HALF as good as the one's on the train, no one would ever worry about upping to defend them.

I use to hunt trains in my 39Q, nothing like cherry bombin' in at over 480mph to watch the first cannon round land right on my nose. Good fun tho.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:30 AM »
the first train strafing run is usually memorable
been there destroyed that

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
perk wirble-no perk osti

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
There are LOT of "unknowns" as to why HTC does certain things.  Why in the *&^% the wirby and the osty have the SAME ENY is my first question.  The wirby obviously is superior to the osty in ease of use and without looking up the numbers I can tell that the wirby is far more capable than the osty.  Yeah, supposedly the osty can reach out further than the wirby but just how much further of an effective range is it and is it worth mentioning due to the fact of the rareity of success???  The osty is a distant second place to the wirby, and the M16 is a distant 3rd from the osty.

First, change the ENY of the wirby to 5, the osty to 15, and the M16 to 30 (I dont remember the M16's ENY off has, but allow the M16 to be used under most "worst" of ENY scores).  The fact that the wirby and osty were so rare in WWII yes DOMINATE the AA game in the AH2 MA is annoying and not consistant with the supposedly other aurguements HTC or HTC's fanboi's have made as to how and why things are perked or are ENY scored the way they are.

Consistancy.  HTC/AH2 lacks it. 

(*wait patiently for the HTC backlash and lack of explination/reasoning*)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »
The fact that the wirby and osty were so rare in WWII yes DOMINATE the AA game

But the Wirbel and Osty must stand in for a whole range of cannon-armed AA options that are either impractical to model or simply haven't been modeled yet.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
I can't believe no one has brought this up as another power of the WW... ground capabilities.  Two decent whirlybirds can drop a town in a matter of 3-4 minutes.  Bring more than that and its even quicker.  If you know where the town ack guns are located, you can knock them out easily enough -- then you're all set.  On top of that, the ability to easily knock out soft gvs (or track hard ones) from up to 1k, and get them with some difficulty up to 1.7k or so makes it an effective ground pounder. 

You can say the same of the Osti, which was the primary town killing gv before the Wirble.  The Wirble just has the spray factor going for it.  Like a Yak9T vs a Jug.  You can put out a greater volume of fire and hope to hit something because the greater amount of ammo is there to do it.

You also realize all the "Perk the IL2" threads there are?  Seems pretty even to me.

No perks.  Shoot the turrets.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
Introduction of the wirble has made the osti totaly irrelivent, and a NON factor, truely sad really :( 10-15 points for the wirble and you'd start seeing many more ostis!

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »
Posting this here after remarking on the thread about Wirbleweasels under furballs on the main board.

Over 3500 M16 MGMCs were produced by the US during WWII. That's 35 times the number of Wirblewinds, and as much as 70 times the number of Ostwinds. Yet especially since the WW arrived, the M16 has virtually disappeared from use.

Perk the WW and Ostie. There's already been precedents set towards perking aircraft on rarity, and the effectiveness of the WW has proven its performance warrants it.
Agreed; but the Ostwind has a slow firing 1x37mm and is not as accurate as the Wirblewind.
Yet the wirble is quite accurate and very deadly; the armor though is THIN, i still think it should be perked (0.75 perkies)

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2009, 12:35:31 AM »
But the Wirbel and Osty must stand in for a whole range of cannon-armed AA options that are either impractical to model or simply haven't been modeled yet.

Point taken.  However, that doesnt hide the fact that the wirby is that much more effective than a osty, is able to take out tanks with a few seconds of fire, and level a town in pairs or with a re-supply?  The wirby is the biggest bargain in gv-land.  Nothing slows an advance like a circle jerk of wirbys.

Yeah, the turret can be taken out by a .50 cal from a Jeep or M3, but the turrent of the T34x can be taken out by a peasant with rock as well and the T34/85mm is perked. 

Like I said before... HTC lacks ... ah Hell, who's paying attention?  Stuff like this gets brought up and many people make very valid points and those points get ignored.  It deosnt take weeks and weeks of coding to apply a corrected or rather "adjusted" ENY/OBJ score, etc.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.