Author Topic: Aircraft performance and ENY  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Aircraft performance and ENY
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
Exactly the same in performance, but with the extra goodies of dive brakes and boosted ailerons. That's as unarguable a case for superiority of one plane over another as you are likely to get in AHII

IMHO that's an advantage, but not being "clearly superior"

Seems I'm a bit more restrained on using superlatives ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
IMHO that's an advantage, but not being "clearly superior"

Seems I'm a bit more restrained on using superlatives ;)

Clearly superior means just that, it does not mean massively superior, "OMG, the J doesn't stand a chance in a fight with the L" or any such thing. You might could argue about how much of an advantage the P-38L has because of these additions, how much of a difference this should make in ENY numbers, but some sort of edge going to the L is undeniable.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
Is this a language difference thing?  "Clearly superior" means just that, as BnZs says.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »
Yes... the .45 cal handgun is "clearly superior" to the .40 cal handgun. (of the same design) ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Going to get flamed for this but here it goes.

Why not start eny values at 1 or 2 rather than 5?  Once eny kicks in your sometimes outnumbered bad enough that it would help the equalize the sides.  Isn't that what ENY is there for?  Or maybe start adding a perk cost to lower eny planes once % of a side reaches a certian level.  I know I know guys with a gazzilion perks won't care... but the perk cost is in addition to the eny value.  So once eny reaches 3 your LA7(as example) cost 3 perks(also an example).  Usually the low number side gets hammered from both sides so this may help.  Just throwing ideas out there.

Valid question, I don't know if HT has ever explained it here but from talking to him -

The ENY calculation ALWAYS results in a number.
If ENY values started at 1 you would start getting restricted immediately unless sides were perfectly even.
By setting the lowest ENY value to 5 it allows for small imbalances without any restrictions.

ENY values have been out of whack ever since they started to be used to limit planes usage when arenas became imbalanced.
If a plane became 'popular' usually within a few tours it received an ENY of 5.
We had very few ENY 5 aircraft before it was used to limit usage.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:31:34 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
"clearly superior" means something along the lines of "self evident" or "needs no discussion" -- whereas the differences are so minute that one can say there is an advantage, but it's not "clearly" or "self evident" -- it's a tone/word choice/semantics issue, but I understand what he was trying to say.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2009, 06:28:39 PM »
The ENY calculation ALWAYS results in a number.
If ENY values started at 1 you would start getting restricted immediately unless sides were perfectly even.
By setting the lowest ENY value to 5 it allows for small imbalances without any restrictions.

ENY was set way before any of these limitations were ever imagined and coded into the game. I don't think that has anything to do with it. On top of that, one side has to almost have 50% of the arena before even an ENY limitation of 1 ever kicks in (my beef is that ENY limitations don't kick in SOON enough!!), so I don't think that's a major problem with having 1 ENY planes.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
ENY was set way before any of these limitations were ever imagined and coded into the game. I don't think that has anything to do with it. On top of that, one side has to almost have 50% of the arena before even an ENY limitation of 1 ever kicks in (my beef is that ENY limitations don't kick in SOON enough!!), so I don't think that's a major problem with having 1 ENY planes.

If you had plane ENY values of 1 as soon as the arena numbers weren't perfectly even you would start getting limited.
Thats why the lowest plane ENY value is 5, it allows for small imbalances without any restrictions.

The only time the actual ENY calculation equals zero (might actually be 1) is when all 3 sides have the same number of players.

As stated the lowest ENY plane value of 5 is to provide a small buffer that allows small imbalances without restrictions.

50% sounds a little high (unless it has been changed).
Remember it is all relative to overall arena numbers.
300/300/350 might not produce any ENY restictions, but the same 50 extra players on one side in a lower overall numbers arena would. i.e. 100/100/150 probably would.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:57:54 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
Duplicate post - ignore
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Hi Kev, nice to see you about again sir. <S>

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 06:59:18 PM »
Hi Kev, nice to see you about again sir. <S>

TY.

Hoping to get back into the game once I get a decent broadband connection.
Using a 3G mobile broadband at the moment, it's not even worth trying lol.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
Besides having near identical performance in other categories, the P-38L has a better ordinance package, and that's not debatable.

What's more, at 400mph ias, the 38L is tied for #1 with the 47N for best roll rate in the game, whereas the 38J's roll rate at the same speed is nearly 3x slower.  That's also not debatable.

I use the term "clearly" because the pertinent categories are not debatable, and I use "superior" because the 5" rockets are better than the 3.5" rockets, and a faster roll rate is better than a slower roll rate.  Hence, the 38L is clearly superior to the 38J.  
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Also if ENY started at 1 or 2 the rewards for downing such an aircraft with something like a Spitfire Mk I or P-40B would be excessive.  Yes, it is hard to down a Spitfire Mk XVI with a P-40B, but not that hard, not hard enough to justify 40-50 perk points for it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »
Clearly superior means just that, it does not mean massively superior, "OMG, the J doesn't stand a chance in a fight with the L" or any such thing. You might could argue about how much of an advantage the P-38L has because of these additions, how much of a difference this should make in ENY numbers, but some sort of edge going to the L is undeniable.
Clearly superior, but not massively superior.

When your spread is 5 points, it must be superior by a fairly large margin to be kicked up a category, yes?

You really only have 8 levels.  If both planes have a 20 ENY, then both rate somewhere around that fourth level.  One may be on the high end of fourth, the other on the low end of fourth, but both fourth.

Neither are so good as to rate a three, and neither so bad as to rate a five.

Not sure why such angst.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
Clearly superior, but not massively superior.

I absolutely agree.  The meaning of those two phrases is very different.  The former is about how easy it is to detect the superiority, and the latter is about how superior something really is. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!