Author Topic: Spit 8 vs Spit 9 Stall Characteristics  (Read 1145 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Spit 8 vs Spit 9 Stall Characteristics
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »
I find the Spit 9 to be a much more stable and smooth aircraft at low speeds than the Spit 8.  Other that the Spit 8 being slightly heavier due to a different engine and extra fuel tanks these planes are exactly the same, yes?  Same frame, same wings, same canopy, same weapons, etc.  With %50 fuel, the Spit 8 is just over 400lbs heavier.  Some of this is due to fuel but how much is due to the engine?

I've taken them both up w/ %50 fuel and gotten them both to a very similar weight (6900lbs each) and still the Spit 8 *seems* to stall out quicker, more "violently", and is much tougher to recover from vs the Spit 9.  Is it due to the fulcrum of the plane being more forward? 

Can anyone comment of this more precisely?  I'm posting this few a few of us in my squad as the lads from the UK are quite curious as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:15:40 AM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Spit 8 vs Spit 9 Stall Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:16 AM »
I find the Spit 9 to be a much more stable and smooth aircraft at low speeds than the Spit 8.  Other that the Spit 8 being slightly heavier due to a different engine and extra fuel tanks these planes are exactly the same, yes?  Same frame, same wings, same canopy, same weapons, etc.  With %50 fuel, the Spit 8 is just over 400lbs heavier.  Some of this is due to fuel but how much is due to the engine?

These two aircraft are more different than you think, but I'll let the experts explain the details.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

I've taken them both up w/ %50 fuel and gotten them both to a very similar weight (6900lbs each) and still the Spit 8 *seems* to stall out quicker, more "violently", and is much tougher to recover from vs the Spit 9.  Is it due to the fulcrum of the plane being more forward? 

Can anyone comment of this more precisely?  I'm posting this few a few of us in my squad as the lads from the UK are quite curious as well.

Spit IX - Merlin 61 @ 1564hp, no wing tanks, standard rudder, standard ailerons.
Spit VIII - Merlin 66 @ 1580hp, wing tanks, broad chord (larger) rudder/tail, short span (smaller) ailerons.

Would imagine the C of G is further forward on the VIII.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »
I was led to believe that the models of Spit9/8 that we have in AH2 have the same airframe, ailerons, and rudder.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »
I was led to believe that the models of Spit9/8 that we have in AH2 have the same airframe, ailerons, and rudder.

I believe the VIII is more closely related to the XVI than the IX.  IIRC, the VIII is the same as the XVI with the only difference being the lack of clipped wings.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
I believe the VIII is more closely related to the XVI than the IX.  IIRC, the VIII is the same as the XVI with the only difference being the lack of clipped wings.

ack-ack
There are shared things between all three.  The Mk IX and Mk XVI are the closest in terms of airframe.  The Mk VIII and Mk XVI share an engine.  The Mk VIII and Mk XIV have the same ailerons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »

ack-ack

How could you forget the VIII has short span ailerons, and the XVI has full span ailerons?

Even the motors have a slight difference - XVI Merlin 266, VIII Merlin 66. The Merlin 266 having a FTH 1000ft higher than the Merlin 66.
Admittedly our XVI appears to based on an LFIX's Merlin 66 performance, not a Merlin 266.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
How could you forget the VIII has short span ailerons, and the XVI has full span ailerons?

Easy mistake to make.  My usual view of a Spitfire is of a burning wreck, it's hard to see the difference in aileron spans when they're missing the ailerons and on fire.

ack-ack

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »
Easy mistake to make.  My usual view of a Spitfire is of a burning wreck, it's hard to see the difference in aileron spans when they're missing the ailerons and on fire.

ack-ack
You'd think with the air being perfectly clear at 25K+.... you could pick it out easier. ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »
You'd think with the air being perfectly clear at 25K+.... you could pick it out easier. ;)

You know how hard it is to spot those little suckers at 5k when I'm at 25k?  They look like ants!

ack-ack

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
 :lol :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
The short-span ailerons were an improvement, - I believe to eliminate flutter? The power transfer was AFIK different as well.
I also recall the wing being stiffer.
While a tad heavier, one test pilot referred to the VIII as better.
Performance data (pilots) from SE Asia give the aircraft 5 minutes to 20K and a top speed of 420. That is...nice ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
My usual view of a Spitfire is of a burning wreck, it's hard to see the difference in aileron spans when they're missing the ailerons and on fire.

But a well flown Spitfire is quite another story, I'm sure you would agree :)

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
It was Jeff. Quill that referred to the Spitfire VIII as the best Merlin-engined Spitfire.

Also, the Spitfire VIII has 1,720 hp, max plus a bit of extra fuel in the lower tank and in the wings.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:39:31 AM »
Quill it was...
Some glimpses of his words:
"It also featured ailerons on which the long overhang outboard of the outer hinge was shortened in order to increase the stiffness of the aileron structure"
"We then had an excellent aeroplane which was very pleasant to handle and with performance as good as the Mk IX, with many other advantages added on."
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)