Author Topic: New PSU and some questions  (Read 316 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
New PSU and some questions
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
Well I just got my new OCZ Stealth 700Watt PSU in today, installed and running great (after a small trouble with HDD), and I had a few questions about it.

1) Does it matter which way it is mounted?  As in, having the fan on top or bottom.
2) So many cords, What is the "CPU 2" cord for?
2b) Does it make a difference to use the PCI-E 6-pin or the PCI-E 6+2pin for a single GPU?  Don't want to be using the wrong one (using 6-pin currently).
3) Never worried about it before with cheap PSUs, but is there a max amount the cords should be bent?  There are so many long ones I have most of them folded and pushed into my only free spot n case.  If it makes a difference the wires have a sheath on them.

And a comment: I love this thing, aside from the cord amount/lengths. :D  It fits so perfectly in my little ol' case.

Specs:
700Watt
4x 12V rails 18A each
80% efficiency at max load typical
Standard ATX form factor (Reason I bought it since I have a 144mm depth restriction)
Silent (I think...hard to tell with all the other fans.)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: New PSU and some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
You should only have one mounting option (screw lineup on the back, into the rear of the case).   The fan usually blows into the CPU area and out via the CPU cooler. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »
1) see reply above
2) CPU 2 is for motherboards that are designed for 2 CPU's, ignore it
2b) Not sure on this one, some VC's designed for extra power needs?
3) as long as you don't crimp them ( which would be tough to do with the sheath on them ) you should be OK.  I installed a 850W PSU when I built my new comp last year and I have 15+ cables I had to hid/tuck/smash into crevices.  Just DON'T BLOCK ANY AIRHOLES and you should be fine. I zip tied a lot of mine to whatever I could to keep them in place and out of the way of air movement.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
1) Does it matter which way it is mounted?  As in, having the fan on top or bottom.
2) So many cords, What is the "CPU 2" cord for?
2b) Does it make a difference to use the PCI-E 6-pin or the PCI-E 6+2pin for a single GPU?  Don't want to be using the wrong one (using 6-pin currently).
3) Never worried about it before with cheap PSUs, but is there a max amount the cords should be bent?  There are so many long ones I have most of them folded and pushed into my only free spot n case.  If it makes a difference the wires have a sheath on them.

1.  As mentioned it should only mount one way except that the fan inside the case (bottom if it's a top mounted PSU or top if it's a bottom mounted PSU) is an intake fan and air is exhausted by the rear fan on the PSU.
2b.  No, it doesn't matter.  Dragon, some of the newer high end cards need either 2x 6 pin or 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin connectors.
3.  You won't hurt them.  I bundled mine up and stuffed them into an open 5 1/2" drive bay (actually 2 open bays).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

2b.  No, it doesn't matter.  Dragon, some of the newer high end cards need either 2x 6 pin or 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin connectors.

Thanks Baldy
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
Alright thanks, I seem to be ok with 2/2b/3 now.  However the mounting option still kinda gets me.

The PSU can mount either with the fan on top or bottom of the PSU,  Also this PSU has only 1 fan, on the inside of the case.  The screw holes line up with either of the hole alignments (Case has a total of 6 PSU mounting screw-holes).

So, which is better, having the fan facing up or down?  This is an M40 Cube case so if it faces up it will be facing a piece of metal.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
Alright thanks, I seem to be ok with 2/2b/3 now.  However the mounting option still kinda gets me.

The PSU can mount either with the fan on top or bottom of the PSU,  Also this PSU has only 1 fan, on the inside of the case.  The screw holes line up with either of the hole alignments (Case has a total of 6 PSU mounting screw-holes).

So, which is better, having the fan facing up or down?  This is an M40 Cube case so if it faces up it will be facing a piece of metal.

Have it face into the case.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »
I am too overly cautious with parts anymore (due to having killed many), I want to make sure this is ok.  The Board inside the PSU can be upside down, right?  Mind not the Duct tape, my PCI covers were designed to be 1-time removal, can't mount them back. :)

This is what it looks like inside, as seen the fan is facing into the case (There are large holes under the PSU mount for air).

Little crowded, but there is no troubles with airflow, although the HDD needs my cooler on it (runs at 35C).
I am still asking due to if this PSU dies sometime after warranty due to improper mounting, I may have no way to replace it (hard to keep replacing things every 2 months).

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:04:41 PM »
It looks correct.  Is it blowing air out the back as it's supposed to?

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
I feel a small airflow, hard to tell when the air is the same temp as the room, but there is defiantly air coming out the back.