Author Topic: Do you realize??  (Read 5832 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Do you realize??
« on: December 27, 1999, 10:52:00 PM »
I know there has been a lot of debating about the modeling of certain aircraft in peticular
the F4U Corsair. As far as speed, rate of roll as well as climb rate. But do you realize that the F4U in AH has a losing combat record VRS. every single Aircraft in AH that carries a gun including the B-17.
Nearly 2 to 1 vrs the NiKi. This is one of the A/C that it accumulated an 11 to 1 kill ratio against in the pacific. These nubers should indicate that there is some mistake in A/C modeling in the current game format. It is a sluggish and slow moving A/C at best in this game. Hardly the record indicated in war time record or testing vrs the same A/C that it cannot compete against in AH.
Something to consider.

Thanks
F4UDOA

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 1999, 11:10:00 PM »
Heya  
  I am not sure about how close the flight model is.. she doesn't stall very sudden and with alot of warning.  Climb rate and roll rate may be off.. BUT all this is stuff they are working on and we will see it change a few more times till HTC things they have it right.
   As for kill/death in the Hawg, you need to consider the Hawg pilots up there skill wise and the pilots they are meeting death by.  I don't do great .... avg at best ... but I have had multi kill sorties in the hawg.. I just have kept her fast and not been suckered into a turn. I checked my stats the other day vs plane type and I think it was the la5 that I had more kills than deaths and the spit was the worst.. tons of deaths against em.. I get suckered into turning with em too much.. I will learn not to do that some day.
  I am going to wait till they say check the FM for the Hawg before I do any big checks on it and continue to fight and die  

Also I tend to jump in out numbered and at disadvantage E wise many times.. the rest of the time I just plain blow good merges  

Rocket

------------------
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Do you realize??
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 1999, 11:17:00 PM »
I believe LA5 has the best record in AH at the moment?

In the war between Russia and Finland 41-44 the finns had about 10:1 kill/loss ratio against LA5's, flying *Brewster Buffalos*.  Brewster model 239 was voted the worst US fighter in WW2...

Sometimes the figures don't tell the whole truth.  Especially when one doesn't know all the facts and factors behind them.

"The better trained team wins. Always."

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 1999, 10:09:00 AM »
F4UDOA, judging from you comments in the modeling thread, and in this one, it would seem to me that your new to this, and I think you have alot to learn.

Now, don't take me wrong this isn't a flame   There is nothing wrong with being new or learning. But I don't think you have participated much in the "higher end" of realistic WWII Flight Sims. More specifically, Warbirds or Full Realism Airwarrior, and now here in Aces High.

Why? Because there is NO COMPARISON between the actual war and the open arena we fly in, in this simulation. Sad to say, but its true.

Even in Historical Scenarios (and I have participated in many, and even run quite a few) where we strive for accuracy, strange things can happen.

You can take the most realistic Flight Models possible known to man, and if you fly them in an ahistorical manner, you will get vastly different results.

My point is that its not a valid arguement to say that because a plane is not as famous or effective in the simulation as in the war, that the flight model must be off.

Lets look at your "Nearly 2 to 1 vrs the NiKi. This is one of the A/C that it accumulated an 11 to 1 kill ratio against in the pacific. These nubers should indicate that there is some mistake in A/C modeling in the current game format arguement.

First off this is an entirely misleading, if not incorrect statement, that has nothing to do with the arena or the accuracy of the flight models.

Yes the F4U had a 11 to 1 kill ratio against all Japanese aircraft. But that included Fighters (most of which were the Zero, not the N1K2), Bombers, TorpedoBombers, Reconnaisance, Transports, and even general utility aircraft. A more accurate number may be what was the F4U kill ratio versus Japanese Fighters? Or even better, what was the F4U kill ratio versus the N1K2 "George"?

And let me assure you that the N1K2 Shinden is not anything like a A6M5 Zero. In fact its much more comparable to a FW190 or even the F4U, than to the Zero. Check out the numbers, they don't lie.

Even then the numbers would be a flawed comparison.

Why? Because even your "average" pilot in a simulation like this, is vastly more experienced than even the "aces" of the real war. We have the opportunity to "die" many times and learn from our experiences. In real life you had one opportunity, if you made a mistake it was all over.  

And even if you compare flight hours to flight hours, we come out ahead. Why? In real life, the pilots would fly for days without seeing an opponent, while here we take off and in 5-15 minutes we are assured of engaging in combat, most likely dying, taking off and doing it all over again.

In WWII, by the time that the N1K2 Shinden was introduced (late 1944), the average Corsair pilot had about 3 or 4 times the experience, that the average Japanese fighter pilot had. But the most important thing to remember is that by that time, the US also had a huge numerical advantage, and there were probably 4 Corsairs for every enemy fighter they encountered. In the arena, even 2 to 1 odds are considered "horrible", and they are usually much more even than that.

Also lets look at how we fight in the arena. Most fights start at or below 15,000ft and typically procede down to the deck. In real life, pilots were much more cautious, and learned that Altitude+Speed = LIFE. The biggest advantage that the F4U had was that it maintained its power and performance in higher altitude bands than the Japanese aircraft. How many times have you been killed in a F4U-1, in Aces High, by a N1K2 at 25,000ft ? If it happened, it was your own fault and you deserved to die.

Another factor is Icon's.  With the game's icon system we use (a necessary evil) you can easily spot incoming aircraft, and see aircraft out to a very far distance with little effort and great accuracy. This leads to mostly low level pig pile furballs with constant streams of aircraft replacements from both sides from the nearest airbase.

Not exactly how the real war was fought.

In short, do this.  Take the arena pilots and give the Corsair side a 3 or 4 to 1 numerical advantage. Also the N1K2 Shinden side should have most of the "newbie" pilots.

Make it so that you only have "one life to live" and move all the bases apart so that you have to fly for hours before you engage, and that there are no streams of instant replacements. Oh, and dont' forget that combat should be initiated at much higher altitudes that we commonly do.

hmmmmmm..... Fear of death, how do we simulate that???? I GOT IT !!! Every pilot has high voltage electrodes taped to his testicles, so that if he is "killed" he gets a really nasty shock.

Now, run it that way for 4 years and check Kill to Death ratio's for the aircrafts like you described, and you might get a somewhat representative statistic to use for aircraft flight performance comparison.

Even then it would be flawed.

Remember, the Arena is NOT real life.

<steps down off soapbox>  

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 1999, 10:11:00 AM »
Wow !! I really did go off on a rambling dissertation of a RANT there didn't I ?  

Sorry F4UDOA, nothing personal.  

------------------
Vermillion

spinny

Do you realize??
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 1999, 10:20:00 AM »
Nah, that was fine Verm...should be required reading for all incoming pilots (incoming to online flight simming, that is).

And you know, the Hog is all I fly...and in the cyberworld, you do the best you can with what you've been in love with since you started these silly games  

------------------
Spinny, VF-17, The Jolly Rogers 8X

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 1999, 10:41:00 AM »
Verm;

hmmmmmm..... Fear of death, how do we simulate that???? I GOT IT !!! Every pilot has high voltage electrodes taped to his testicles, so that if he is "killed" he gets a really nasty shock.

HMMMmmmm....  A little harsh.  How about no beer for 2 days consectutive?  

Mino

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 1999, 11:57:00 AM »
I said fear of death Mino   Not inhumane torture <G>.

Damn, we can't do that,  the Haige prosecutors would be after us for War Crimes if we did that  

------------------
Vermillion

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Do you realize??
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 1999, 01:43:00 PM »
Minotaur :
Just want you to know that this is my first
post to the board. It's your fault - how dare
you suggest taking away my beer! ;-)

If you take a look at my score you will probably assume that i fly with a beer in my hand and many of my keys don't work because
of spillage.

Sourkraut

------------------
-----------
Sourkraut
JG-2
http://www.rapfire.net/~weazel/home.htm
-----------

Sorrow[S=A]

Do you realize??
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 1999, 04:53:00 PM »
I agree with Camo, the Brewster buffalo is a good example (However I don't think the finns faced any serious number of La-5FN's in BB's they probably faced them in Me-109's by the time they appeared)
The plane you flew was nothing compared to the training and mentality of the pilots in them. At the start of the war Finns had a highly trained (And slightly crazy?) air force that demolished the russian airforce in equal or slightly inferior Brewster Buffaloes.
  Also remember Malta, the entire Italian airforce tried to hold down the air over Malta and was consistently foiled by 4 biplanes (Fairey's or gladiators? I can't remember) named Faith, Hope and Charity. (Only three ever flew at once) if you add up the number those planes probably had more individual kills than any planes in WWII!
And they were very outclassed by the italian fighters facing them.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Do you realize??
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 1999, 05:39:00 PM »
Vermillion,

I have read your web page many times so I am even more surprised by your response. You seem to have a grasp on the over all performance of the F4U vs other A/C in AH but don't seem to realize some basic things.
1st. I have been flying full realism in AW to
AW3 for three years. In a squad in multiple senario's. I have a very good understanding of flight simulations and how they work.
2nd. I am aware that the best pilot always wins. But this is a simm. People first fly what is there favorite A/C and then fly the A/C that gives them the best chance of victory. In the case of AH you will find that the basic skill level is the same in all A/C.
How many people really have any real skill?
Just as in war 20% of the pilots do 80% of the killing. The rest all fall into the middle of the pack. So when you look at A/C vr A/C you can determine what aircraft allows you the best oppertunity for success. It just a random sampling. Like taking a poll to find an average.
3rd. The positive traits of the F4U are Climb,
speed and maneuverability (to include rate of roll and turn radius). The F4U exhibits none of these features in AH. Vermillion you have all of these facts in your own data base yet you choose to either ingore them or not understand them. The Niki was a 380mph a/c on it's best day. The Focke Wolf was 30mph slower on the deck than the F4U. And the Mustang had much higher wing loading that did not enable it to climb or turn with the F4U.
I could give 20 pages from AHT to quote these facts as well as the fighter test report of the F4U and F6F evaulation vrs the Focke Wolf
Fw-190A-5.

Anyway if a reality based flight simm is what  you want then you need to pay attention to the facts that you have. Again I enjoy these conversations so nothing person should be taken.

Thanks F4UDOA

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 1999, 06:29:00 PM »
FM'S ARE :-
ROUGHED IN, UNFINISHED, INCOMPLETE, WAITING FOR AN OVERHAUL, NOT FINALIZED, BASIC & WRONG.

BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA

DID I MENTION THE BETA

[This message has been edited by jmccaul (edited 12-28-1999).]

funked

Do you realize??
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 1999, 08:52:00 PM »
"This is one of the A/C that it accumulated an 11 to 1 kill ratio against in the pacific. These nubers should indicate that there is some mistake in A/C modeling in the current game format."

No disrespect dude, but that statement doesn't merit a reply.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Do you realize??
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 1999, 01:53:00 AM »
But nobody mentioned the most important fact why Hog performs so poor. It fights the opposition it naver faced and was not made to fight it.

How many Hogs died at the guns of P 51D in AH ? At the hands of Spit ?

Not to mention it is one of the easiest targets for 109.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Do you realize??
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 1999, 04:24:00 AM »

This is one of the A/C that it accumulated an 11 to 1 kill ratio against in the pacific. These nubers should indicate that there is some mistake in A/C modeling in the current game format.

If we use WW II war time records to model planes then Bf 109G-2 and Bf 109G-6 should be real killers, they achieved nearly 25 to 1 kill ratio against VVS flown Spitfires, Yak's, La's and Mustangs when those Bf 109's were used by Finnish pilots. And Brewster Buffalo was not far behind...

------------------
jochen
Geschwaderkommodore
Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen' (Warbirds)

If you ever get across the sea to England,
Then maybe at the closing of the day
The bars will all be serving German lager
Which means we won the war - hip hip hooray!

jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!