Author Topic: Which Seafire?  (Read 841 times)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Which Seafire?
« on: December 24, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
Okay a Seafire IIC, but which one exactly, and what engine does it have?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Which Seafire?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2000, 05:46:00 PM »
It should have either the Merlin 45 or 46.  It looks like it will have 2x20mm and 4x.303 - bascially a Spitfire VC (different gun loadout possible??) but with undercarriage strengthened and arrester hook fittings.  The screenshot of the AH Seafire looks like it has a three blade prop so it's unlikely it's the Merlin 32 four prop Seafire L MkIIC.

Anyone else got any info?

Regards

Nexx

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 12-24-2000).]
NEXX

funked

Which Seafire?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2000, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm sure it will be the oldest, lowest spec. possible, in the tradition of our other Spits.  

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Which Seafire?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2000, 11:49:00 AM »
Are you sure it has a 3 bladed prop?
The SF IIC served for less than a year before they were all converted to L IIC standard, due to their poor performance. The conversions were completed in the first half of 43.
The Seafire IIC was actually the worst performer of all, slower than the first IB, and had a top speed of 333mph. Does that qualify it as AH's slowest fighter?
With AH's late war bias, surely we aren't going to get the worst Seafire model of all?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Which Seafire?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi Nash

I'm just going by the pic that Pyro posted  

To me, that sure looks like a three prop propeller.  The Seafire L IIC (four prop) was much better at low altitude and would be a better choice since it would be used more for defending the CVs.  However, the standard IIC would be better at higher alt.

Regards

Nexx

PS  Shame we can't get an even later Seafire, but it's better than having no Seafire.
NEXX