Author Topic: Fighting Spitfires  (Read 3798 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Fighting Spitfires
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Tactics are dictated by situation, not character Bat  :P Is the Spit16 diving on a 300mph pony at 450mph, or is it somewhere back, already loosing the race?

Though I must tell you, I don't see why a Spit pilot diving on a P-51D with a high rate of closure should expect anything *other* than an overshoot attempt, since that is the only thing the P-51D can reasonably do in his situation.

Yup i strongly agreed with everything you wrote a few pages before. Most of the advice here is best suited to a real war when you can really die, or at best scenarios or getting a high rank in the MA. But this is no fun and teaches you nothing of how to fight when you have to.
 Some pony pilots will fly 'smart' in it and when they are cornered by a spit16 they will die. When this happens they will either shrug it off as an impossible situation to win, or they will complain that the spit16 has a better plane.
 The other type of P51 pilot will die alot more in general, but when it comes to that spit16 chasing them they will turn back and win from disadvantage.
 It all depends on what type of pony dweeb you want to become when chosing who's advice is the best to follow.

Personally i take Wilson P as my p51 mentor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPpVCUAb8Es&feature=channel_page

S!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
Tactics are dictated by situation, not character Bat  :P Is the Spit16 diving on a 300mph pony at 450mph, or is it somewhere back, already loosing the race?

Though I must tell you, I don't see why a Spit pilot diving on a P-51D with a high rate of closure should expect anything *other* than an overshoot attempt, since that is the only thing the P-51D can reasonably do in his situation.

Most expect the p51 to panic dive... as many of them do. I routinely force overshoots of spits, especially 16's.  Although I admit I have died once to a spit 16 in the last 3 tours.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 02:28:35 AM »
If a spit is diving in on me with good closure and I don't have time to reverse on him then I will attempt an overshoot with the scissors. If that's not working on the spit, I'll go vertical in hopes of losing him and dropping down behind him. I don't know if this is right or not but it works pretty well most of the time. The only planes I have a real hard time fighting this way are the F4Us,109s and now the 152s flown by good sticks. I guess when it's all said and done, it comes down to pilot skill. A guy I'm fighting may have the better performing plane but if he doesn't know how to use it, I should get a kill out of the deal. :salute
Lighten up Francis