Author Topic: New Machines and Running Aces High  (Read 1677 times)

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
New Machines and Running Aces High
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
Ok...Before you all fly off the handle about what I am about to bring up. Please read this completly.

It seems to me that if I can run my New machine in XP Pro and Windows 7 with having the same crashing issues and when I run (without any changes) on the same operating systems in compatibility MODE. All of a sudden The game runs stable for hours again in both operating systems. To me I am lead to believe that the age of Aces High programming is Really starting to show. In otherwords It has not kept up with the NEWER technology we now have. If this is true then why are countless hours and money being spent by us the consumer on trying to make this run when the answer is to play in compatability mode.

WHAT ARE THE NEGATIVES OF RUNNING IN COMP. MODE?

Just something to think about..( let the ridicule begin...LOL)....(BTW DONT FOCUS ON THE WINDOWS 7...Its just an example..:) )

Kam
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:29:40 PM by kamori »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: New Machines and Running Aces High
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »
It hasn't anything to do with the game. The game is keeping up with the technology. The issue is the way AMD did there multithreading in their CPU programming. Bashing the game and the programmers of the game when you seem to not have an understanding of the systems involved is being just a bit silly.

I have a brand new system....3 monthes old, and have no issues what so ever. I run both cpus, and have everything turned up in the game with the hirez pak installed. FR is locked at 60 and never changes. Its only AMD "new" machines that run into issue, and some can be fixed with a download.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:31:39 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:38 PM »
Bashing the game and the programmers of the game when you seem to not have an understanding of the systems involved is being just a bit silly.

Nice try.. Like I said Read all I wrote..No bashing Done here.  How many games and or Programs do run with AMD...If AMD was in such bad shape how do they stay in business ?

KAM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:01:11 PM by kamori »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
It seems to me that this statement...

To me I am lead to believe that the age of Aces High programming is Really starting to show. In otherwords It has not kept up with the NEWER technology we now have.

is saying that HTC uses old technology and that they don't update anything therefore its "showing its age". That to me qualifies as bashing HTC.

HTC happened to hit a bug in the AMD processors. Its a known problem with the AMD processor. I believe this because they have made patches for it. If it was only Aces High that had the issue I'm sure Windows, and AMD wouldn't have spent time and money working up a patch so we could play Aces High.

The new update with the game is suppose to have a new way of rendering the terrains so they will work better as well as look better. This sounds like a company that continues to upgrade its technology to try and keep up with the times.

Again I say, do a little research before opening your mouth. Its going to start hurting the more you shove your foot into your month  :aok

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »
It seems to me that this statement...

is saying that HTC uses old technology and that they don't update anything therefore its "showing its age". That to me qualifies as bashing HTC.

Again I say, do a little research before opening your mouth. Its going to start hurting the more you shove your foot into your month  :aok

LOL at your making this into personal attacks. That is my point of view from 6 years in the game and you turn this into personal insults. There are many problems with the game. A known fact all I am asking if this could be an issue also. BTW if there is research Post it and ill read it. Soi again like i said in my first post PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE REPLYING.

Good news your almost at 4,000...

KAM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:09:47 AM by kamori »

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »

To me I am lead to believe that the age of Aces High programming is Really starting to show. In otherwords It has not kept up with the NEWER technology we now have. If this is true then why are countless hours and money being spent by us the consumer on trying to make this run when the answer is to play in compatability mode.

Kam

Oh Btw try Context also
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:13:09 AM by kamori »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:57 AM »
The problem is with Windows I think and Win98 forces the game to run on a single CPU (IIRC) but also things like SLI mode are supposed to not work although it sure seems to. Some CPUs had a problem but the problem doesnt show up in Win 2000 for instance. Skuzzy says there is another solution for Vista users so probably the same is true for W7. I dont recall what the fix for Vista was (maybe I never got it working right?) but I run in Win98 mode and everything works.

I would like to see AHII become a true 64-bit program but I understand why that probably wont happen.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:09 AM »
And you know so much about our underlying technology it makes you qualified to judge us, how?

The only people who have to run the game in compatibility mode are those who cannot get the patches from AMD to work right and those who are stuck with Vista/Windows 7 as AMD cannot release a patch to fix Vista/Windows 7 dual-core issues.

The compatibility mode trick is an easy way to force the operating system to use only one core.  This condition only exists with dual-core AMD CPU's due to a compatibility bug in the CPU which surfaces under very specific circumstances.  AMD fixed the quad core CPU's and also announced they would not be addressing the bug in the dual-core CPU.  There is no such issue with Intel multi-core CPU's.

The net effect is the game will not be able to run multi-threaded and some operations, such as background downloading of data will cause the game to pause or stutter.

We do not have to run in 'compatibility mode' to address the problem.  There are other ways to force the operating system to use only one core when running an application, but the 'compatibility mode' trick is the simplest way for users to get around the AMD bug.

The problem is not the age of our technology.  The problem is AMD has a bug in all its dual-core CPU's.  If we did not insist on using available technology, we would never have run into the bug.

By the way, we were the first natively multi-threaded game in the market.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:42:28 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
LOL at your making this into personal attacks. That is my point of view from 6 years in the game and you turn this into personal insults. There are many problems with the game. A known fact all I am asking if this could be an issue also. BTW if there is research Post it and ill read it. Soi again like i said in my first post PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE REPLYING.

Good news your almost at 4,000...

KAM

I'm sorry it wasn't my intention to make any of this a personal attack. I tried to give you information (what little I know, I'm only at almost 4000 post so I really don't know much yet), and suggested you do a little research. On these boards you could try "spinning clipboard", on google you could try "AMD processor bug" maybe. In stead you would rather come in here and spew crap about the game, and push rumors of "old technology", and "problems" with the game.

I'd love to see a list of problems YOU have with the game. I find it pretty funny that I could be playing this game for all the years I have and have only hit a couple of minor bugs that have no real bearing on the game play. HTC has always been very quick with any bug that pops up in an update. Patches are made and put out in hours sometimes.

I'm sorry you bought an AMD based computer and have it the bug they have said they are not going to be able to fix (because its in the CPU) Had you checked out the Hardware section of these boards you would have also seen there was an issue and what you would have to do to get it to work with the game. Unfortunately HTC is staying ahead with their technology, while AMD seems to be falling behind. Maybe you should post your drivel on their boards instead?

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:32:32 AM »
And you know so much about our underlying technology it makes you qualified to judge us, how?

I love the WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE statement. I have every right as a Human to make judgements based on the information at hand. I posed a question that I wanted an answer to.

I asked a question and other than the first line you posted you answered the question. It was an observation based on the information at hand.

I do truly appreciate the explanation, Thank you for that.  Does it matter what order I installed that amd patch? I did also check the registry according to your instructions.
If you have any other Ideas please post them I am a very accomplished Computer user and am no stranger to the registry.

KAM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:34:07 AM by kamori »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:13 AM »
I don't think this is a registry issue or even something you can really fix with the use of software. This is an issue in the processor itself.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
I don't think this is a registry issue or even something you can really fix with the use of software. This is an issue in the processor itself.

That may be true. If thats the case running this game on single side of a 3.1 Ghz Dual Core CPU with 2 gig ram and a 9800GTX+ video card in Compatability mode is fine for me. When the quadcores come down in price ill get one then.
Kam

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »
Ok...Before you all fly off the handle about what I am about to bring up. Please read this completly.

It seems to me that if I can run my New machine in XP Pro and Windows 7 with having the same crashing issues and when I run (without any changes) on the same operating systems in compatibility MODE. All of a sudden The game runs stable for hours again in both operating systems. To me I am lead to believe that the age of Aces High programming is Really starting to show. In otherwords It has not kept up with the NEWER technology we now have. If this is true then why are countless hours and money being spent by us the consumer on trying to make this run when the answer is to play in compatability mode.

WHAT ARE THE NEGATIVES OF RUNNING IN COMP. MODE?

Just something to think about..( let the ridicule begin...LOL)....(BTW DONT FOCUS ON THE WINDOWS 7...Its just an example..:) )

Kam

I highlighted the part that is not a question and is not based on any known facts, yet presented our product in a derogatory or negative aspect.  I questioned you to that point.  You cannot have access to any facts to support the statement, unless you work here.  Then again, if did work here, you would have never made the above statement as you would have known it is full of baloney.

We (HTC) did not lead you to believe anything.  If you wanted to know something, then all you had to do is ask.  Anytime, anyone presents our product or service in a derogatory or negative light with no basis in facts, I will ask the same question I asked you.

You have no inherent rights to judge us on how we do things.  Feel free to question the choices we make, and when appropriate, we will answer those questions.

In other words, here is all you had to say to get the same exact results, "Why do I have to run the game in compatibility mode and what are the effects of doing so?"  A purely non-confrontational question.  Instead, you chose to be confrontational, whether you meant to or not.

Now, as far as why one system will take that patches and another one will not goes.  It depends on the version of Windows installed (there are approximately 46 different revisions of the Windows XP CD's in the market).  Then there are numerous things which can impact it.  You have to remember, the software patch is an attempt to work around a hardware design bug in the CPU itself.  That is pretty tricky to do.  AMD is basically replacing the kernel of the operating system and they are probably paranoid about it so it may not actually update the kernel is the kernel is not stock.

Things like anti-virus programs also replace/patch the kernel.  I can see those applications causing the AMD patch to fail.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:26:36 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »
Welp...

...I'm running an Opteron 185/dual nvidia 9800 GTX+ OC's on a AN8-SLI Deluxe,
2 Raptor's in RAID 0, WinXP Pro SP3.

The longest I can fly is 28 min's prior to a hard freeze. I was running onboard sound,
read that it may be a problem, installed an FX-i PCI sound card, and enjoyed the same results.

My box tears up every other piece of software without a hitch...CS2, COD4, COD5, Black Shark...you name it.

I'm about to give up my favorite software because it refuses to run on my hardware.

I guess it just hates AMD hardware. It sucks, but then life sucks sometimes.

Trust me...I've done every fix, every trick, include 98/ME compatibility and have come
to the conclusion that it's simply an issue of my CPU being an AMD product. If I could afford it,
I'd build a Intel box just for Aces High...that's how much I love that software.

But that just can't happen now.

*sigh*

-Surfer

"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
Can that MB handle Athlon 64 X2? Opterons had a problem...
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.