Author Topic: Wasted Upgrade???  (Read 923 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Wasted Upgrade???
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
For your Anti-Virus needs you might want to consider ESET NOD32. Much less intrusive on a system and about 200 Quadzillion (is that even a number???) % better than anything put out by McAfee or Norton. There are others around just as good or maybe better than NOD32 but I like it for me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
I updated my graphics card today to a GeForce 9800GT 1024MB, the old one wasnt bad, just wanted to upgrade it, which now I realize wasn't as bad as I may have thought.

Also, Installed a new power supply which upped the power from 305hz to 700hz and also upped the memory from 4x215mb = 1GB to 2x2GB = 4GB :(.

You would think that the picture and frame rate should skyrocket, but unless I do not have something set right, I really am not impressed and surely not worth the nearly 400 bucks I tossed in the crapper.  :cry

Any ideas of what I probably missed here, I have checked the settings and the picture is just a bit better than before, in game there wasnt really a recognizable difference from before at least nothing that I could tell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT:
This card has two DVI connections, I had to use the DVI to VGA Monitor adapter, could it be that my monitor just isnt cutting the mustard...?

XP Pro can only fully utilize 2-3 gigs.  The power supply probably was a waste but I'm sure you're talking about watts and not mhz.  Unless your old one was bad, 300 ish is pretty low though so not totally unneccesarry.  This game barely uses memory, so the 2 gigs you had before were fine.

The best things you could do is to tweak your system off of un necessary programs.  What processor you have you didn't mention, that may have been your bottleneck more than video card which is often way overlooked. 

Hardware tech isn't excelling like it used to.  Upgrades cost and the boosts aren't what they used to be.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »
He mentioned his processor priviously. Prescott 3.4 ghz.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »
XP Pro can only fully utilize 2-3 gigs.  The power supply probably was a waste but I'm sure you're talking about watts and not mhz.  Unless your old one was bad, 300 ish is pretty low though so not totally unneccesarry.  This game barely uses memory, so the 2 gigs you had before were fine.

The best things you could do is to tweak your system off of un necessary programs.  What processor you have you didn't mention, that may have been your bottleneck more than video card which is often way overlooked. 

Hardware tech isn't excelling like it used to.  Upgrades cost and the boosts aren't what they used to be.

XP Pro 32-bit with a single displaycard will show 3,2-3,4Gb ram. XP Pro x64 will show as much as Vista or W7 x64. Regardless of the fact it pays off to get full 4 gigs - even if you 'lose' 1 gig you gain dual channel mode.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone