Author Topic: processors  (Read 458 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
processors
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
Hi guys,

A little input if you would be so kind,  is it worth my while going from an intel dual core 2 x 2.4   to a quad core?   the one i was looking at is £150, 

I've had my current build for 2 years and it copes with everything I test it with,  I'm just wondering whether the step up would be worth my time and money.

thanks
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: processors
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
I assume the current CPU is a first generation Core 2 CPU.  If that is the case, you probably will not get much benefit from a quad core CPU, unless you are doing videographer work with an application designed to make use of multiple cores (i.e. Avid, Premier Pro, Vegas Pro,....).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:49 AM »
rgr that skipper   :)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
Bruv, I don't know what CPU or motherboard you have but if you're looking the get a little more performance and haven't already done so it's very easy to overclock the Intel Core2Duos.  You can get about 20% more out of them without even trying.  Much more if you actually know what you're doing.

I've got my 2.66 Ghz E6750 OC'd to 3.2 Ghz running the same temps it did stock and the only thing i had to do was increase the FSB speed.  I had it over 3.5 Ghz and stable but really only wanted to sync my CPU and RAM clocks so I backed it back down.  I've heard of people running them at 3.6-3.9 Ghz.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:39 PM »
I ran my E8500 at 4.06 ghz for about 6 mos. but it didn't hold up under stress tests. So I backed it down to 3.5 ghz and have been ever so happy since. Still have much to learn about OC.

I will say if you jumped to an E8500 or E8400 you will see a remarkable improvement. Especially if you over clock a hair.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
I dont understand! Even Skuzzy mentions OC but yet if there ever is a problem you can lose everything in your system! Why risk it?  :huh
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
I dont understand! Even Skuzzy mentions OC but yet if there ever is a problem you can lose everything in your system! Why risk it?  :huh

Many Intel Duo cores run extremely cool. They are made for OC. As long as you're not going for a world record you're okay. Many MBs come with programs that help you to do this. I would recommend no more than 20% and test it under stress at several different levels. Also, most mbs will shut down prior to any damage to the cpu or system.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »

I have been overclocking my computers for over 15 years.  I have never lost a system due to overclocking.  When I build a system, I do a lot of upfront planning knowing I will be overclocking.  Proper component choices are critical to a successful overclock.  I believe it is the only way to do it right.

I never recommend overclocking to anyone.

As to why.  Zero cost performance gains help me keep the initial cost of a computer lower, which allows me to upgrade more often.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:38:23 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
I just lost mine. :P
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Twincam

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »
I got 2  3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon on my mac pro  :aok very stable for this game.My friend wants to overclock it, can you do that on a mac ?
Jeszcze Polska Nie Zgineła

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »

How would you go about losing everything in your system? Only way I can think of is pushing it so hard that I/O will start producing errors and even then the OS will self destruct before much more damage is done.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
Perhaps by system he meant the components. Too much of a draw on the PSU could cause it to go taking some if not all components with it. Of course that's highly unlikely if your PSU is rated at a higher output than what is required of it.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:10:36 PM »
I don't think overclocking will cook anything, but turning up the voltage will.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
I have been overclocking my computers for over 15 years.  I have never lost a system due to overclocking.  When I build a system, I do a lot of upfront planning knowing I will be overclocking.  Proper component choices are critical to a successful overclock.  I believe it is the only way to do it right.

I never recommend overclocking to anyone.

As to why.  Zero cost performance gains help me keep the initial cost of a computer lower, which allows me to upgrade more often.

Same here - been overclocking for ten years and the only time I ever 'lost' a system was when I accidentally poured a cup of coffee into the power supply. Its an easy way to get a powerful system for less money or to extend the life of an aging system.