Author Topic: At least one Axis bomber?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
At least one Axis bomber?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2000, 07:54:00 AM »
"The Runstangs can chase all they want, but they will never catch an Ar234, going at 460mph"

Nope. Not flat out. But a P-47M WOULD!!!!    

Let's use this opportunity shal we to petition for the P47-M!!!!

--Westy

(oh.  A P51 from any kind of dive could take out a lower Arado...)

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »
It would be a rare occasion when you could get a Mustang higher and in the right place at the right time to dive onto it, after all look how much trouble people have catching up to the high B-17's  

Did any Allied fighter ever catch and shoot down a high-flying Arado Ar234 during WW2?

Yeah and lets just have the Ta152H-1 too eh?

combat23

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2000, 10:02:00 AM »
Whow,  You guys getting ready to move on to Korea or something? High flying in this game they would pose some problems Historicaly they wer often used at med to low alt trying to take out bridges and such to slow up the allied advance. They were shot down at a Reasonable rate by stangs tempests and spit 14's

see ya online

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
Uhm, how about just a recon version then?  Eric Brown says:
The Ar234 appeared truly blitzschnell to Allied fighter pilots assigned the impossible task of intercepting this turbojet-driven interloper; they had as much chance of bringing their guns to bear on the elusive German newcomer to the air war arena as they had of knocking it down with a volley of profane oaths. At the speeds and altitudes at which it normally performed it's reconnoitering only mechanical failure could bring it down.

combat23

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2000, 10:57:00 AM »
Well for balance I guess we'll have to have a meteor or two. They were active in England chaseing V-1's at the time.  

Or maybe the P80 shooting star. A couple of those made to Europe be for the war ended but did not see any action???

See ya on line

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
*groan* This is all YOUR fault Hristo!!!  

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2000, 12:54:00 AM »
Just blame old Willy an his buddies  

Bringing in planes for balance ? No, thanks, we like it unbalanced  

I'd trade my 109G-10, along with 2 early versions + bonus Me 410 for a 262 any day.

funked

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
Ju-88 is the best choice, because of all the variants.  They were in the war the whole time, with different models doing level bombing, dive bombing, torpedo bombing, anti-tank, night fighter, day fighter, you name it.

combat23

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2000, 11:47:00 AM »
some of the later 88's were fast and high flying also. Would be a good choice as different versions would be in the game thru the whole war and would not require as much work for htc to create.

see ya on line

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
If they model the Ar234, I would suggest that they also model its ejection seat (the first one used operationally in combat to my understanding).  That would be of great comfort to the pilots who get shot down thinking no one can catch them.  

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2000, 11:55:00 PM »
If they model the Ar234, I would suggest that they also model its ejection seat (the first one used operationally in combat to my understanding).  That would be of great comfort to the pilots who get shot down thinking no one can catch them.    

PS - The 234's max speed (460) is at about 20K... which leaves plenty of space for a higher flying P47 or P51 to dive on them.      Granted, it wouldn't necessarily be easy to nab a 234, but it'd would be more than possible.

------------------
SnakeEyes
o-o-o-
=4th Fighter Group=

[This message has been edited by SnakeEyes (edited 01-16-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2000, 06:49:00 AM »
Only one of the prototypes (V3) had an ejection seat and pressurised cockpit, AFAIK. All the examples(production models) Eric Brown flew didn't have one, he specifically mentions that fact.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2000, 09:23:00 PM »
Bummer... sounds like they're really in trouble then.  

------------------
SnakeEyes
o-o-o-
=4th Fighter Group=

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2000, 09:24:00 PM »
doublepost

[This message has been edited by SnakeEyes (edited 01-16-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
The Arado had a hatch above the pilot, this was the only means of exit if the plane got dinged up. The limited infor i have doesn't indicate any combat loss except during take off and landing.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson