Author Topic: Pyro, plz remove that GPS from the PzIVH  (Read 1105 times)

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
Pyro, plz remove that GPS from the PzIVH
« on: May 27, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
The other day I was tanking an enemy field,A pony came in to land, and emerged from the Vhanger in a panzer, I turned to run parallel
to him to make it a tough shot, no joy He nailed me on his second round at a distance of 2.9, 2.9 on a crossing target, that's damned good shooting for an M1A1, and damned impossible for a PzIVh. Yank the Gunner's Primary Sight, and the crosswind sensor, and all the other modern goodies please, WW2 tanks using stadia sights and the low speed traverse mechanism they had would not have even tried that shot, they mighta waited for me to stop, but not that. It's funny for all the squeaking I hear about this plane model or that plane model, when you find something realy out of kilter, no one complains. Maybe they like the superwhammadyne sniper tank? I don't.  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline spora

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.iki.fi/juhave/
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
Sniper tanks?  Yes, they do seem to be like that, but IMHO the Pzkw IV's are generally at disadvantage.  Let them have the wonderful Zoom sight (just discovered it today - I wondered why I never hit anything with Pzkw IV...) - until a F4U or Typhoon kills them.

BTW, GPS would just tell the Pzkw tanker where he is - computerised fire control system gives the accuracy ;-)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2000, 12:51:00 AM »
Yet another reason to get rid of range icons in Aces High.

For ALL combatants - aircraft and vehicles alike.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2000, 01:23:00 AM »
If range information is removed from the icon, there will need to be modifications to the aircraft gunsights. Also the Panzer IVH needs proper optics, as in Panzer Elite.

Dot commands:

.scale XXX.XX  - allows small changes in size of gunsight texture on the reflector glass, in percentage. Used for calibration.

.span XXX - adjusts the gunsight to fit various wingspans, in feet. Also two commands; Span up/down, mappable to keys. Have a setting to adjust the increment.

.range XXXX - adjusts the gunsight for range, in yards. Also two commands; Range up/down, mappable to keys. Have a setting to adjust the increment.

There would need to be a virtual "firing range" that would allow you to calibrate your gunsight properly.

Eg: From the Hangar, a button for "Firing Range" which takes you to a new menu where you choose a "target" from the list of aircraft and vehicles. Then you hit a button to go to the cockpit of your plane which is pointing at the target.

Bringing up the menu now allows you to adjust range to the target so that you can get an idea what things should look like, and calibrate your gunsight.

And: Fix the gunsights so they simulate a real reflector sight and not a fixed ring & bead setup as they do now.

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 05-28-2000).]

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2000, 02:10:00 AM »
Well, We can make whatever gunsights we want for planes with MSpaint. And as for the tank ranges, I think the next version will do away with enemy tank icons and modify the sight.
Had the funniest thing happen yesterday while defending A16 (I think).  I was out chasing tanks in my panzer, and after nailing a couple of them I turned to go home.  I was watching this low dogfight over me, and would occasionaly fire a burst at the enemy p-51 just to make him nervous (was way to far to harm him.  But anyway, he starts to smoke from the engine (no from me, but from the other plane he was fighting) and comes in for a ditch. Right at me, and skids to a stop 700 ft. in front of me, guns blazenig away, ping sounds making me deaf! Now for real, if he hadn't been shooting at me, I would have just said "tough break" and let him .ef, but with all the pinging, I gues I went a little nutts   That is the only time I've hit a plane with the main gun. Whoever the pilot was I salute you determination <S> (the other aircraft got the kill credit, as it should be)

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Greg 'wmutt' Cook (edited 05-28-2000).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2000, 03:25:00 AM »
1.03 will bring some changes to tanks.  First of all plane to tank icon range will now be 1.5k.  There will be no icons for tank vs tank.  The gunsight will be revised with a range determination method of some sort.  This should most likely eliminate the problem you just described.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2000, 08:09:00 AM »
Yeah I can make all sorts of nice, useless gunsights with MSPaint. There's no way for me to calibrate my gunsights so I could accurately judge distance with them. Plus the same .bmp will be different sizes on different planes. The F4U gunsight doesn't even come out square, it's squashed vertically.  

"There will be no icons for tank vs tank"

So how do you tell friend from foe? You'll sit there watching that tracer slowly fall closer to that 1000+ yard target, then BOOM! Back to the tower for you...  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
Spora, the GPS I was referring to is the gunner's primary sight found in an M1 tank, not the global positioning system  
All; and if they put realism into tanking, why would you be making a 1000+ yard shot?
  (they still don't get it sir Right, Gunner! target tank 2 oclock saybooo!
Identified! UP! on the waaaay!)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2000, 06:46:00 PM »
I have killed few panzers from behind hill  
Just shooting into correct spot under the icon which pops up from behind hill, for for the enemy huh?
Now thats a hulldown position, that even M1A1 commanders would like to have!

BigJoe

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2000, 07:14:00 PM »
Hey juzz, great game that panzer elite, need to go a few rounds when ya get the chance.  Just got the game so not to good at range finding yet but been reading up on the matter

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
I have to agree that the ranges we engage tank verus tank are ludicrous.  The Germans didn't even have 'bench test' data on the 75mm L/48 past 2000 meters for any of their armor piercing rounds.  We don't hesitate to engage with good penetration as soon as visual ID is obtained.  It would be interesting to know what type of AP rounds we have for the old 75 L48: Armor Piercing Ballistic Capped, Armor Piercing Composite Rigid, or High Explosive Anti-Tank. While each of these rounds would be effective at ranges up to 1,500 meters against the weaker armored areas of the Panzer IV-H, to be effective against the frontal and turret armor we would have to be within 500 to 1,000 meters.

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Greg 'wmutt' Cook (edited 05-30-2000).]

nonoht

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »
i've kill panzer at 3K
it's not very correct with the historical situation (combat at 500yards)
and i don't know if the panzer's canon can destroyed at 3K....

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
U r correct about the panzy, tho a panzy v panzy fight is alotta fun, its not like 1 guy has an advantage over the other, granted the guy moving at any speed over 10 mph is at a disadvantage vz a stationary one.

2 nights ago i sat ontop of a hill and took down a rook convoy (or was it bish..) 4-5 vehicles all moving with first kill at 4k, a couple at 2.8 or so, and 1 at 600 +)  
3 aircraft in one sortie as well, I find the 75 mm HE better suited to taking planes down.

SKurj

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by Greg 'wmutt' Cook:
I have to agree that the ranges we engage tank verus tank are ludicrous.  <snip> While each of these rounds would be effective at ranges up to 1,500 meters against the weaker armored areas of the Panzer IV-H, to be effective against the frontal and turret armor we would have to be within 500 to 1,000 meters.

There was a D-Day retrospective on cable the other night, and one of the veterans interviewed (from a Panzer Grenadier division fighting in Normandy) stated that the Shermans didn't engage above 800 meters, and the Panzers didn't engage above 1200 meters.

Waxer
-----
The Wrecking Crew