Author Topic: F6F gear as dive brakes....  (Read 903 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
F6F gear as dive brakes....
« on: December 29, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Heyas, I posted this before but under a different heading...

I have read several accounts of F6 pilots using the landing gear as dive brakes.  The maximum speed not to exceed when dropping the gear was 135 mph, ONLY due to the fact that, at anything greater than that, the gear would not lock down.  At the rollover into a dive attack the pilot would drop the gear to help keep speed down.     (much like the AH F4u)  I have no data as to what speed the gear would actually be damaged, perhaps someone has accurate data.

If anyone can find some data to back this up, it would be nice to see implemented.

AKskurj

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2000, 07:15:00 PM »
I think you are confusing teh F4U with the F6F in this regard, I have read just the same things you say, but about the F4U.

In AH the F4U actually lowers the gear, in real life the gear wasnt lowered. the doors acted as dive brakes

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2000, 07:49:00 PM »
Ram, better check your facts.  You made a sweeping generalization in your "real life" account.   Early model F4U's (from the F4U-1A pilots manual) did indeed drop the main gear for speed control in a dive.  The pilot could select a dive brake position that would retract the main doors after main gear extension (to keep the doors from breaking off in the slipstream).  The tail wheel would also remain retracted in this condition.  

Sorry that doesn't verify or provide additional info on the F6F, Skurj.  Where did you see/read the F6F accounts of gear extension as a dive brake?  

MiG

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2000, 11:19:00 PM »
Ok RAM I did not get confused, and I do know some F4u's used the gear.
My source..

The Great Book of World War II Airplanes
F6 section authored by David A Anderton
isbn 0-517-459930
Huge silver covered book, and I'm sure u'd like this one RAM if u don't already have it.

I can't vouch for its accuracy but it does cover alotta stuff.

AKskurj

[This message has been edited by SKurj (edited 12-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SKurj (edited 12-29-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2000, 06:52:00 AM »

Originally posted by SKurj:
The Great Book of World War II Airplanes
F6 section authored by David A Anderton
isbn 0-517-459930
Huge silver covered book, and I'm sure u'd like this one RAM if u don't already have it.

I have it, just right of my monitor   just took a fast look at it and I dont see anywhere the thing you mention. Care to tell the page, please?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2000, 10:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by RAM:
I have it, just right of my monitor   just took a fast look at it and I dont see anywhere the thing you mention. Care to tell the page, please?

pg 182, paragraph 3
Pg 211, paragraph 5

AKskurj

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2000, 12:11:00 PM »
Yup, you are right   are two references to it, I must have lost them, as they are only a couple of lines each.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
<boing>

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
You can have F6F "divebrake/landing gear" as soon as I get those wooden chocks for the Seafire's "takeoff" flap setting.  

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »

LOL juzz I always thought that was funny, but a good way to get around the design limitations of the spits up/down only  flaps.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2001, 07:03:00 PM »
Side note about the F4U's gear door brakes...

I knew they made some modification with newer models, but was wondering about the rest...

That was till one of the Black Sheep Squadron marathons came on a while back. On a few episodes there is gun camera footage of F4U's attacking with 500lb GP's from a 60 degree dive with the gear extended (hitting pill boxs) First instance where I've actually seen them deployed in combat.

Offline MAILMAN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
So AH models the F4 dive breaks as gear extended?  I've seen a lot of F4's in the MA bombing with gear down but thought it was bug on my FE...

<sorry to sidetrack thread>

-)-MAILMAN-