Author Topic: AH sucks, LW planes are porked I will quit, bye  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
AH sucks, LW planes are porked I will quit, bye
« on: December 30, 2000, 05:29:00 AM »
Ok now that I got your attention..

I was reading Frenchy's post about an R/C jug hes building. I want to build a P-38 model tell me were to buy a good kit or something

I have no experience I just want a whoopee R/C P-38 to fly from my roof and scare the neiborgh's cat. Maybe even put a few small explosives on it and dropping them on the street. Is this possible?

Oh, and to make this an AH related post:

I love how they fixed the guns on the P-38L, all that concentrated fire so close sure break wings apart. And boy is it fun killing PT boats in it!
The P-38L may have a few things missing but it sure is fun.

Ok now tell me where to find the damn R/C kit and it better not cost as much as a car. I plan to crash it in a week or two.

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
Animal, one suggestion I would make is to get the Wing Manufacturing P38 kit. It is a short kit, just plans, some plastic, and foam-core wings but there are several custom kit cutters that will laser cut the wood for you.  The plane is not exact scale but standoff and can be finished out to look very impressive. I have this kit sitting under the basement stairs and its next for the building board just as soon as I get this Flair Fokker D-VII finished... I hate building wings! Oh, anyway, the kit has 70" wingspan, finishes out around 8 pounds, and requires 2 .40 to .60 engines. Plans include instructions on installing flaps and retracts.  http://www.wingmfg.com
Wing Manufacturing
306 East Simmons
Galesburg, Il 61401
(309) 342-3009 phone
(309) 342-3014 fax

T

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2000, 11:31:00 AM »
Wow nice kits. I dont know much about this toejam, so I should probably start with a simple model, crash it around, etc.

then I'll move on to the P-38 thing. I hope it has enough engine power, I plan on building small bombs for it.

TheWobble

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2000, 02:57:00 PM »
I heard that a lite plane pilot got arrested for droppping a malotave cocktale from his lite plane, the catch is that the molitove was and Ozarka bottle    bet that looked cool, his excuse was that he was trying to burn off excess grass at his field.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2000, 04:45:00 PM »
Animal,

I recommend you start out with the best radio equipment you can get. If it has functions you won't use for a while that's ok as you can still use it in later more complex models. If you get a minimal radio now you will just have to buy another more capable one later making it sure ownership of two systems instead of one.

Another factor is to go for the beginners kits. They fly well, are forgiving and easier to build. You WILL crash them so figure on them being, ahem, disposable.   The trainers are quite capable as well.

Wen you get a big enough plane, don't think of bombing the neighbor's cat. Take the cat for a "ride" and use it to bomb the neighbor!

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »
Molotovs are a good idea. If I see the police coming to my house I'll just try to dive bomb their car, and if they get to me, I'll call them vulchers  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2000, 11:41:00 PM »
took me 2 months, off and on, to build my 1st & only Goldberg electric r/c glider

took 3 minutes to crash  

Start with a high wing, Cessna or "PT 40 trainer" if you don't have r/c exp.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2000, 01:27:00 AM »
I recommend staying five planes away from the 38. Fly at least four planes before trying that thing, and make sure each is a progression toward the 38. Tricycle gear trainer first, low-wing (I don't personally think the mid-wing is something you have to try), taildragger (get used to the torque because...), twin engine with the nacelles pretty close to the fuse, and then a triple tapered wing if you feel brave.

The 38 has a lot of vices, and on a single engine (especially large engines) it can be a pest. Build it as light as possible and that means small engines (not big) and low overall weight. When you get to big engines you might think it has the power to get you back home. Don't try it. It'll cost you.

As Mav says, the best equipment is the way to go. These days, spending eight bills on a radio isn't a bad idea. It used to be, in the .40-.60 engine range, for twins you wanted to get two engines that run identically. HB (Hirtenburger) used to fill that bill. These days I couldn't tell you. I tend to stick to ducts, heli's, and pattern types.

I used to hang out with the scale masters in south Florida. Some of those guys have been flying for 50 years or more (used to see the likes of Dave Platt, Greg Namey, Col. Art Johnson, and Frank Tiano regularly). A lot of them crashed 38's (when they flew them) once out of every three flights (some twice).

The absolute best version of the P-38 is the Royal kit. They have several versions, one of which is 70" or better. It's all wood, requires an experienced builder, and is as close to precise scale as you can make it. Precise scale, in models, means you will have a tougher time flying it then the real plane (wood comes in any size, but air comes in one). It ain't for rookies.

I think you need at least two Florida flying years under your belt before trying a 38 (if you live in Washington state that means at least three years). Magic thumbs can do it in less, but it isn't easy. Oh yes, I do have my prejudices!

That said, I wish you luck. Flying the plane of your dreams is a real kick in the grass! Just, not from your roof, okay? As an AMA member of over 25 years I couldn't let that go without comment.

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2000, 02:33:00 AM »
hehe Voss, I was kidding about the roof thing. Dont know about the molotov.

Sounds like an expensive and time consuming hobbie.. I'm gonna try getting into it with a trainer and if its not my thing, I'll try something else.

Oh and Voss, you sure know about that thing!

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2000, 03:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by Maverick:
Animal,

I recommend you start out with the best radio equipment you can get.

Mav

I have to strongly agree with this.  Get the best you can afford. I started with a Gentle Lady glider and 50 ft of surgical tubing for a launcher (should have seen the looks I got at the Medical supply store..lol) and a two channel radio. By my next plane I was looking for more channels and something with an engine. It got a little too expensive to continually upgrade. I don't model much anymore..but even a three or four channel would be nice right now.  

------------------
griz
THUNDERBIRDS
------------------

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »
First R/C set I ever bought was an Australian brand called 'Silvertone'.  2 channel set, as I started off in gliders.  Best thing about it was you could take it back to the factory and have extra channels installed in the Tx and Rx as required.

Finished up with 7 channels in the thing to handle my standoff scale warbirds.

Oh dear, that was years ago now  

------------------
=357th Pony Express=
Aces High Training Corps

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Animal:
hehe Voss, I was kidding about the roof thing. Dont know about the molotov.

Fifteen feet from where I am sitting are the plans to more planes then most people will ever fly. I've been flying R/C for a very long time. Most of the aircraft in "Great Planes" arsenal I have a plan for. Not because I bought a Great Planes kit, but because I bought the plans from RCM mag when the A/C designer first published them. I have trained thousands of pilots, no kidding. But that sounds like bragging!

When I first bought an RCM I read of the exploits of some idiot that had designed a bomb from 12-gauge shells and cardboard fins. I couldn't believe it. The worst thing I ever did was light off an Estes rocket from a TopFlite P51D model. That worked perfectly and wasn't too risky.

I went to the '87 NAT's and was surprised to see that everyone in F3A was landing on a piece of a strip of taxiway (practice field at Fentress, Va.). It was like landing on a sidewalk, which didn't worry me at all, but made me think better of my fellow pattern pilots. We suffered six mid-airs that year, because F3A had so many entrants they were forced to run ten flight lines.

I could say "been there, done that" about nearly everything in the hobby, but I wouldn't belittle the experience that way. R/C flying is awesome stuff. You meet a better class of people, the flights are "As Real As It Gets," and the fun just cannot be topped! Not to mention, you meet a lot of real pilots with real airplanes and, if they respect your skills, they may just take you flying!  

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2000, 05:23:00 PM »
voss why are the pattern guys so anal?  

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2000, 07:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
voss why are the pattern guys so anal?  

Compare pattern guys to anybody that flies scale jets. Bob Violet? Bob Violet won't let you see his building board without a background check.

Maybe you think they're anal because they strive for perfection? All it takes is a 1/64" variation in tip alignment and a pattern plane can become inprecise.

I'm anal a tad. I don't want some wet behind the ears rookie tell me he sees a mistake or a problem inside one of my birds.

Or maybe you were just aiming to insult me?   The nitro-methane in my blood makes me immune.  

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Hi

I didnt want a demo, just an answer. hehe   j/k I just noticed that they often seem less than happy compared to the other guys. And didnt mean an insult to u, just askin.  
BTW what % nitromethane u runnin in ur blood?

thanks GRUNHERZ