Author Topic: They did not take the HO. Nice.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
They did not take the HO. Nice.
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
I haven't been playing much at all lately, but a few days ago I decided to go for a quick sortie in the MA's to kill some time before dinner.

I lifted a Spit 16 into a couple of red dots at the edge of the darbar.  As I approached within icon range I saw the lead guy was a Spit 8, with a Spit 9 trailing about 2.0k.

I set up nose to nose with the lead guy.  As we rapidly closed it was obvious we both had a gun solution on one another.

Now you know the feeling.  The other guy has his nose right on you, your finger is sitting on the trigger, maybe twitching a little bit, as you mentally ask yourself, "is he going to take the shot or not?"

Closer...closer...1.0k, 800, 600, 400 (and at this point, the urge to shoot was nearly overwhelming...) and then in a blur he's by.

Hey!  That was pretty nice!

But the long guy was still a threat, and the guy I wanted to engage.  So now I'm nose to nose with him.  Gun solutions.  Tracking.  Finger getting twitchy again.  I mean, what are the odds of two clean merges in a row?

Yet, as unbelievable at this may seem, this guy does another clean merge.  Really, I don't think in 2 years of playing I've had two clean merges like that.  And when I say we had two clear HO opportunities, I mean it was full-on.  Like a DA merge. 

Unfortunately for me, with all that build up, the ensuing fight didn't go so well and I was shot down pretty quickly.  It was fun, but short.

The guy that shot me down was 050Cal (or something like that).  His buddy shot me down later or earlier- EDHUNTER.

So, I just have to give a quick shout out.  I was so pleasantly surprised and while I hate getting shot down, I love it when things like this happen.

:salute
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: They did not take the HO. Nice.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »
I always try to give a little shout out with lead on head to head merges before breaking into evasives around d800-d1000....with merge speeds as such I figure a little love tap at the start of the egagement gives me a bit of initiative going into the fight.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
This is why some poeple have such a hard time with HO's.

STOP FLYING STRAIT AT THE OTHER GUY !

If your finger is twitchin at 1000 out you might as well bail because chances are your dead anyway. At 1000 out you should have been half way into your next maneuver. Don't go for the HO, don't fall for the HO. Fly your own fight and set them up for a beating.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
Actual distances may vary by aircraft type and manuvers vary by player. Your mileage may vary.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
If you fly HO, why not pull the trigger as well?
If you are not going to pull it, why make the opponent think you are going to by flying HO?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
You'd think they know this by now don't you?

STOP FLYING STRAIT AT THE OTHER GUY !
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:56 PM »
If you as a player consistently find yourself nose to nose with another aircraft, you are doing something incorrect.  Yes it happens but shouldn't happen very often.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:57:19 PM »
I find it amazing 3 spits didn't HO.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
I find it amazing 3 spits didn't HO.

i find it more amazing that he knew what kind of spits they were as soon as they came into icon range  :lol
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
Actual distances may vary by aircraft type ...

'splain Lucy.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »
I havent flown for months, but if by some chance I get caught flying head on with anyone, Im aiming for their pearly whites. Quit encouraging the idiots in the game to believe in some ridiculous notion of honor. Any noob that flies head on with a fighter is either going to shoot you or deserves to be shot for not wearing his helmet. Duh duhduh.

"He failed fingerpainting. I tried to help him cuz he had his finger in his but!"
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
In a fight 9 times out of 10 the guy is going to try for the HO.

Guess what, 9 times out of 10 the guy is a clueless noob who couldn't kill time with a sledgehammer and a stopwatch.

Which one are you?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »
In a fight 9 times out of 10 the guy is going to try for the HO.

Guess what, 9 times out of 10 the guy is a clueless noob who couldn't kill time with a sledgehammer and a stopwatch.

Which one are you?

i've had alot of people with a ranking of under 1000 ho me recently, I'm assuming they just do whatever they can to get a kill (yes i usually check their rank after a ho to see if they're just a total moron)

the other night had a guy who was ranked around 100 ho me(forget the name), which i think is just dumb, now theres someone who is sololy concerned with their score, and not general gameplay
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »
I havent flown for months, but if by some chance I get caught flying head on with anyone, Im aiming for their pearly whites. Quit encouraging the idiots in the game to believe in some ridiculous notion of honor. Any noob that flies head on with a fighter is either going to shoot you or deserves to be shot for not wearing his helmet. Duh duhduh.

"He failed fingerpainting. I tried to help him cuz he had his finger in his but!"
Del this guy is the noob, I will give him 8k alt advantage anyday of the week
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:32 PM »
i've had alot of people with a ranking of under 1000 ho me recently

Ranking is nothing, drop a bomb on a factory in a Ju87, capture a couple towns and you're in. Having a good rank does not equate to ability, in certain cases the opposite is true.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!