Author Topic: C.205 climb bug? (I hope)  (Read 546 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
C.205 climb bug? (I hope)
« on: January 15, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »

After 15K the climb rate of the C.205 (no WEP) in autopilot (default speed) falls dramatically.

After 20K the climb rate drops to ZERO. I hope its a bug.

We know the kite was not very good, but above 22-23,000ft.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2000, 01:06:00 PM »
Is this happening only in auto speed climb?  The same is true for the F4u.  It appears that the elevator trim is not as effective as it used to be, and cannot maintain the auto speed setting at low speed/high altitude.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

v-twin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
I also noticed this: when using autoclimb in the Mc205 the ROC gauge begins to drop rapidly after 18/20k, then begins to swing slowly between positive & negative values.
Autolevel doesen't work too at this altitude, it can't keep the 205 levelled.
I asked briefly HiTec online and he said it's a bug.
AFAIK and as gatt says too, the excellent climb rate of the 205 begun to fall down after 22/23k, not earlier.
Regards.

v-twin

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2000, 03:54:00 PM »
Happens in 109 too. The autotrim angle seems unable to apply more elevator up trim, while there is still 1/3 of scale to go.

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »
This seems to affect all planes here. I'm a stupid buff driver (insert boo calls) but the trim-on-speed autotrim is currently a bit err a work in progress  

I asked HT about that when 0.46 was out and he stated that the G limiter could be the problem.

There is indeed a strange problem with auto-trim on speed, which kicks in especially strong if you fly a B-17 to >25k, do something and engage autotrim again. In a group of buffs the whole flight oscillates up and down, sometime reaching +4k climb rate, sometimes -3 descend.

Well, i would consider this a work in progress that will finally bring the auto-trim feature to the point where it behaves like it should  

Az

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »

Well, if you disengage autopilot you can still climb after 20K. But the climb rate is ridiculous and its pretty difficult to hold the nose above the horizon without stalling.

Hope they will fix it.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
It's an autopilot bug that crept into the last version.  HT found it and fixed it yesterday.  The fix will be in the next version.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"The side with the fanciest uniforms loses."