Author Topic: Field Captures and Supply lines  (Read 768 times)

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
Field Captures and Supply lines
« on: January 17, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
Okay, here I am to show off my ignorance yet again:  Field captures are a pain with all them duds taking off or being vulched, so IMHO I would like to whine about the way it should be...

We bomb the field to close it.  Kill the fuel, hangars, barraks, motor pool (for you flak panzer duds), etc.  The field should not be available to launch planes and/or vehicles after it's been leveled.  It's not only unreal, it's unfair.  (that was the whine part)

It would be nice to see FIELD DENIAL in effect.  We already have supplies like weapons types and fuel rationing.  Why not have vehicle type rationing as well...?  Destroy the hanger completely and no flight ops.   Whack the motor pool and no vehicles for base defense.  Level the barracks and no troops...  Get the drift?

Tern sez: "Live to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Live!"

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
I like it.

And add the ability to re-supply the base w/airdrops of men and material.  

That would make a fight for the base one hell of a show, I think.

Attackers closing the base, Defenders taking off from another base in masse to try to re-supply the poor buggers at the base being attacked.

------------------
Member of the Flying Elvis's...AH's most elite parachute team...

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2000, 11:03:00 AM »
Exactly Cobra!  Why else have the 47 around and all them blank extra loadout slots in its hangar area?  And the halftrack w/quad .50's could be a standby supply truck.  Long drive but hey...intersting potential.  

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2000, 01:12:00 PM »
I to would like to see the C-47 doing more than dropping troops.  It could drop tanks and such.  It would be great to see a totally new way for field captures.  

IC
Maybe HT could give us a taste of what the future will bring in the way of vehicles!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
I think that the 47 has more then enough range without drop tanks...
:P

------------------
Pongo
Sturm Gruppe

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
Did the 47 we have even have drop tanks?  I don't recall seeing that version a/c.  Now the 'other' 47, the one my friend Gabby flew in r/l.  That had drop tanks.  =P

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2000, 01:50:00 PM »
If I'm reading Iculus correctly, he means tanks, like armored vehicles. I don't think any gooney ever carried one.

combat23

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2000, 02:28:00 PM »
Nah.... we'll need to get C130's if ya want to drop LITE tanks.  ex m155 sheridan

Kinda cool though.  low level & chutes just pull it right out the back ramp.

Was part of a practice air drop in my time and they dropped a couple of tanks and other such gear......Broke both tanks!

see ya on line

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
LOL...I did mean vehicles

hence my ignorance in what a C-47 could carry!  

(what could a C-47 carry?)

sorry,
IC

[This message has been edited by iculus (edited 01-17-2000).]

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2000, 12:17:00 AM »
hmmm.... noones modeled the C-49 yet.  think it was the 49 that went over the hump in China resupplying fuel and ammo to the Flying Tigers...  I know it's like twice the size of a 47 and still in use in south america.    All that on 2 engines too

combat23

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
Iculus,

you could get one jeep in some versons of the C47 or a small field gun. or anything elese you could take apart enough to fit thru the doors up to it's max weight limit.

C47 and the Curtis C 46 made most of the missions over the hump to China.  Also used was a gargo verson of the B-24

see ya on line

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2000, 10:07:00 AM »
There was some talk in the (cough) other sim, about troop transports dropping mortar crews who could attack a base.

Might be fun to sneak a few mortar crews into range of the enemy field, then watch as they lob shells onto the runway.

Give us more stuff to strafe too.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?