Author Topic: GV's shooting thru smoke.  (Read 707 times)

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
Re: GV's shooting thru smoke.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
i run vista ultimate 64bit, so i went offline and did some testing......

this SS shows smoke dropped right in front of me..

this one the smoke was dropped to the right of me....

this is a zoomed view of the above SS....

this SS is with about 5-6 smoke deployed...

my vid card is a GTX280, E8500 proc, 4gb ram. i run game full bore, AA maxed, AF maxed(i know game doesnt use AF), super sampling, bilinear mipmaps, vsynch on..

NOT

AKNOT

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
No they aren't. The videocard I have can disable smoke if I mess with the settings, but there is a downside because it also messes with the cloud settings. Right when I got this card it was setup like that and made flying almost impossible so I started GVing and noticed that I would never see smoke from smoke rounds. I even gamed the game by popping smoke rounds near enemy tanks knowing that they would be blind but because the smoke wouldn't render on my end I can still shoot and kill them. After about a week I finally found the right settings that fixed it and haven't changed it back.

Thanks for filling me in Larry.  Definitely gamey.  Shame on those that need such a crutch to compete in AH.

Have a great day,

Way
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:10:03 AM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
So far the ones that have 'come clean' about this 'advantage' dont show that they have made much of a 'profit' from it.  :rofl
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ScatterFire

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
No they aren't. The videocard I have can disable smoke if I mess with the settings, but there is a downside because it also messes with the cloud settings. Right when I got this card it was setup like that and made flying almost impossible so I started GVing and noticed that I would never see smoke from smoke rounds. I even gamed the game by popping smoke rounds near enemy tanks knowing that they would be blind but because the smoke wouldn't render on my end I can still shoot and kill them. After about a week I finally found the right settings that fixed it and haven't changed it back.
Curious.  I wonder if I did the same thing by accident, since I've never actually seen smoke, or if I did it goes away when my turret swivels.  Not that my scores reflect that "advantage: :rofl

*wanders off to check settings and fix.
Scatter1:
With bullets of rubber and armor of tissue I throw myself at my enemy.

Law of Devine Intervention:
All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touchhole of your musket.

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
I should also add that I very very rarely even use smoke and I don't see it used that much either. In MW anyway
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)