Author Topic: fw190 question  (Read 638 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
fw190 question
« on: July 25, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
is the cg modeled to change as the fuel is burned? in otherwords - if in the game,i burn off the aft tank 1st is the plane going to be front heavy? thanks

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
fw190 question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2001, 02:00:00 AM »
these effects are said to be modelled

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
fw190 question
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2001, 02:26:00 AM »
thanks. i feel like the fw models handle slightly better when they are front heavy and miserable when the cg is shifted aft. was wondering if it was just a mind trick or wishful thinking  :)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
fw190 question
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2001, 04:38:00 AM »
The answer to your question is that the Fw burns gas in reverse. Instead of draining the aft tank first, and thus leaving the CG near the wing, it burns off the forward tank first. Only in the Fw do I manually manage my fuel so I can get that aft tank drained off. Once I'm running ass-end light my slow-scissors become brutal, at least so I've been told.  :)

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
fw190 question
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
I've noticed that the a5 handles much nicer once the aft tank is burned. Turns can be tightened, and it seems that stalls are less vigorus.

Always need to remember to switch tanks on takeoff, otherwise the handling goes steadily downhill.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
fw190 question
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Front and rear main tanks on the 190's are both located very near the CG.  It shouldn't matter too much which one you burn first.  I'm not surprised that a sensitive pilot could notice the difference though.  If HT would let us log flight data we could try to measure the change in static margin.

The biggie is the Aux tank on the A-8 and F-8.  It doesn't hold much fuel but it's located pretty far aft.  The same tank is used for MW 50 on the D-9 and I wonder if they are figuring the weight/balance change due to MW 50 depletion.