Author Topic: Would be a nice addition  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Would be a nice addition
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
came across this FW 190 and thought it was rather cool looking the caption called it "Bomber Attack Version"
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Would be a nice addition
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
came across this FW 190 and thought it was rather cool looking the caption called it "Bomber Attack Version"
(Image removed from quote.)
I dont see any bombs :huh
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:55:58 AM »
I dont see any bombs :huh

It was used to attack allied Bombers
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:07:41 AM »
Supposedly they made it fly pretty poorly, but I'd STILL love to see that option on the A-5 and A-8. Total of 6x MG151/20 cannons and 2x cowl MGs.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »
What version is it?

Field mod or factory?
Built or prototype?

Anyone see the field modded p47 with the 20mm attached to each wing hard point? (Picture welcome)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:21:09 AM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:27:04 AM »
What version is it?

Field mod or factory?
Built or prototype?

Anyone see the field modded p47 with the 20mm attached to each wing hard point? (Picture welcome)

I think this was the Version Fw 190A-7/R1 and it was called a bomber destroyer

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:59 AM »
What version is it?

Field mod or factory?
Built or prototype?

FW-190A-8/R1

Could be a A-7/R1 also

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
It was used to attack allied Bombers
Thought you were saying it like in the hangar in game Bomber/Attack like an il2 :) looks good looks like it packs a mean punch :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »
Are the guns in the gondies angled down?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:11:48 AM »
Are the guns in the gondies angled down?

Can we speculate?  It had to fly severely nose-up to stay aloft?  An anti-HO measure (as in you have to aim AWAY from your target to hit it??).

Hehe, sorry- couldn't resist...

Maybe whoever glued the guns in didn't get them in straight? (it looks like a model to me).
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline RedTeck

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
what if you were meant to fly just above the bomber you were attacking, and spray down into the plane. i don't have any historical info to suggest it, but could kinda see the merit in not having to fly straight at another aircraft ;)
Ho's are like Speedos.
Nothing says you can't use it, but no one wants to see it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:54:37 PM »
Can we speculate?  It had to fly severely nose-up to stay aloft?  An anti-HO measure (as in you have to aim AWAY from your target to hit it??).

Hehe, sorry- couldn't resist...

Maybe whoever glued the guns in didn't get them in straight? (it looks like a model to me).

It was the old, old Monogram 1/48 scale 190A model.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
The versions of the FW190 that perhaps (I'm no historian) used these Waffen-Behlter 151/20 are: Fw190 A5U12 (2 prototypes prhaps), A-6/R1, G-3/R1, A7/R1 and A8/R1. R1 means field mod but I highly doubt these installations were carried out without factory installation. R1 (Rstsatz) has no hard and fast rules.

The test bed for these pods was the FW-190A-5/U12 but they found it reduced the aircrafts speed by approx 36mph and obviously made it slower and sluggish. It wasnt actually the weight or aerodynamics they blamed but mainly the engine capacity so thats probably why they put it on the upgraded versions of the fw190 with better engines and more armour. Pilot Gruppenkommandeur Hauptmann Rolf Hermichen from jg11: took down a few bombers with this plane. On 20 February he shot down four B-24s. On 6 March he shot down 3 B-17s and on 8 March again shot down four four-engined bombers in 20 minutes 26 heavy bombers intotal but not all with the pods only the afforementioned. 

The FW-190A-5/U12 was flown exclusively by JG11 in July 1943 until it was replaced by the A6 variant in December. Then this pod was used by other squadrons I think.
Anyway here are your juicy pics of the FW-190A-5/U12. The pods are named WB151A and carried MG151/20mms with 130 or 150 rounds. I'm certain it was used in many German aircraft definitely in some BF110 nightfighters and BF109-G4s.

U11 30mm version

For teh skinners Eric Hondt u12!

FW190a8r3 bomber hunter with 30mm pods

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:55:49 AM by rapp25 »

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »
The versions of the FW190 that perhaps (I'm no historian) used these Waffen-Behlter 151/20 are: Fw190 A5U12 (2 prototypes prhaps), A-6/R1, G-3/R1, A7/R1 and A8/R1. R1 means field mod but I highly doubt these installations were carried out without factory installation. R1 (Rstsatz) has no hard and fast rules.

The test bed for these pods was the FW-190A-5/U12 but they found it reduced the aircrafts speed by approx 36mph and obviously made it slower and sluggish. It wasnt actually the weight or aerodynamics they blamed but mainly the engine capacity so thats probably why they put it on the upgraded versions of the fw190 with better engines and more armour. Pilot Gruppenkommandeur Hauptmann Rolf Hermichen from jg11: took down a few bombers with this plane. On 20 February he shot down four B-24s. On 6 March he shot down 3 B-17s and on 8 March again shot down four four-engined bombers in 20 minutes 26 heavy bombers intotal but not all with the pods only the afforementioned. 

The FW-190A-5/U12 was flown exclusively by JG11 in July 1943 until it was replaced by the A6 variant in December. Then this pod was used by other squadrons I think.
Anyway here are your juicy pics of the FW-190A-5/U12. The pods are named WB151A and carried MG151/20mms with 130 or 150 rounds. I'm certain it was used in many German aircraft definitely in some BF110 nightfighters and BF109-G4s.

U11 30mm version

For teh skinners Eric Hondt u12!

FW190a8r3 bomber hunter with 30mm pods

Nice Pictures, I thought it was just a Model that someone added pods to and posted this as a joke of sorts, But wow they really had this thing. Must of been terrifying for bombers to see this thing coming....

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:32 AM »

Nice Pictures, I thought it was just a Model that someone added pods to and posted this as a joke of sorts, But wow they really had this thing. Must of been terrifying for bombers to see this thing coming....
I'm just wondering what the K/D ratio for this thing is. I'm sure they had 1:8, seeing how you put 30mm pods on some tin can with wings, what could be the result of the recoil?  :D

Its high and mighty now, just imagine the 30mm pods.

In mid air, firing the cannons. The obvious cannon blast took its effect on the plane.

Last but not least after you land. Which is after you die a horrible burning death screaming uncle inside the cockpit.

Not trying to scare anyone just saying this might of happened when they fired the cannons.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.