Author Topic: Commanding a CV  (Read 758 times)

Offline flypuck

• Zinc Member
Commanding a CV
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:21:02 PM »
Any good tutorials on commanding a CV?
I've looked around here but can't seem to find much.
Thanks for the help!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Commanding a CV
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/taskgroup/taskgroup.htm

The trainers site offers up an all-you-can-eat buffet of tasty tutorials.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/taskgroup/taskgroup.htm

This is a great writeup. If even a third of this advice was practiced, TG's would be so much more fun. As it is now, it's just a target that more often than not gets driven into PT spawns or parked almost in town.

Good luck flypuck, as you can see from that writeup they can be very useful if used effectively.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:57:55 AM »
having a hard time understanding this part of the writeup

7) As the TG commander, you need to be with the TG at all times. It is best that you do not fly combat sorties, but remain with the ships. However, you can fly as part of the Combat Air Patrol (CAP) that should be defending the TG from air attack. I recommend flying an SBD, TBM or D3a, circling the TG, flying in F3 mode. From here you can track the enemy attacks, observe torpedo threats and, when necessary, intercept low flying bombers and fighters. Just beware that friendly AI AA may shoot you down should you follow enemy aircraft into the defensive AA umbrella. Friendly manned AA cannot hurt your aircraft.

a side question if say I am in gv and  I hit a friendly aircraft do I get damage?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
having a hard time understanding this part of the writeup

7) As the TG commander, you need to be with the TG at all times. It is best that you do not fly combat sorties, but remain with the ships. However, you can fly as part of the Combat Air Patrol (CAP) that should be defending the TG from air attack. I recommend flying an SBD, TBM or D3a, circling the TG, flying in F3 mode. From here you can track the enemy attacks, observe torpedo threats and, when necessary, intercept low flying bombers and fighters. Just beware that friendly AI AA may shoot you down should you follow enemy aircraft into the defensive AA umbrella. Friendly manned AA cannot hurt your aircraft.

a side question if say I am in gv and  I hit a friendly aircraft do I get damage?

If the "auto" 5 inchers are firing at a target and you are close to that target ... you can take damage from the blast.

Conversely, if a 5 inch "manned" gun is firing at the enemy and you are close to the target ... you will not take damage.

Yes ... if you fire on and friendly "object" (plane/vehicle) ... you will take damage ... it's called "killshooter".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
This is a great writeup. If even a third of this advice was practiced, TG's would be so much more fun. As it is now, it's just a target that more often than not gets driven into PT spawns or parked almost in town.

Part of the problem is that spawn points are not shown on the clipboard map by default, so a lot of people don't even realize they're there.  It would also be useful to have the firing arc/range of SB shown on the clipboard map as an option.

But yeah, I'm really tired of seeing CV's parked on the beach and die in 5 minutes.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »

I'm 99.876% sure that killshooter for gvs only works with friendly gvs. You just have the sound of taking damage and may see parts fly if you hit friendly aircraft, but you don't actually sustain damage. Hitting debris while in an aircraft is the same way - you hear the sound, but you don't actually sustain damage.

You can expend every round of a wirbel on friendly aircraft and never take damage.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:49:49 PM by Rolex »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
Also...on killshooter...Bombers vs Bombers killshooter is off
Tours 86 - 296