Author Topic: Favorite WW2 plane?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« on: July 28, 2001, 01:56:00 AM »
It has been awhile since there has been a thread about this.  I was wondering what everyone's favorite WW2 plane is.  Doesn't matter if you like fighters or bombers or cargo planes.  List it here!

I'll get it started (and it probably surprises nobody   :)):

F6F Hellcat.  Why?  Tough to really pin a reason down.  The way it looks is part of it.  Looks exactly like what it was designed as: a pugnacious killer.  To me, however, what really makes the plane special to me are the stories behind it.  Stories like Spider Webb's mission during the Turkey Shoot and McCampbell's 9+ kill sortie just bring the plane to life much more than any other plane I have read about.  Of course, another part is my profound interest in the PTO, particularly the carrier war.  Just very fascinating to me.

Oh well, thats my rambling...  What are your favorite planes?

-math

Oh, and it doesn't have to be limited to the AH planeset.  Meaning if you like the P-40, then say so!

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Mathman ]

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2001, 02:10:00 AM »
Hey,  My favorite plane would have to be the P-47 b/c I've always liked big juggernaut type airplanes that can take and dish a huge ammount of dmg.  I also enjoy stories by robert from the 56th FG about his sorties vs. 190's and 109's.  This plane just "feels" right and is a very fun plane to fly.  If not challenging  :).  <S> sir.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2001, 03:42:00 AM »
Favorite?  One?  That's so hard.  There are so many neat aircraft.  Spitfire, Me410 Hornisse, A6M Zero-Sen, Mosquito, B-17 Flying Fortress, Lancaster, ect, ect.

I can't narrow it down to one, but I can do two, painfully.

Spitfire F.Mk XIVc
Beautiful, fast and deadly.  What more can you ask for.  It is the most beautiful warplane ever built (IMO) and it still looks the part.  As close to perfect as any WWII aircraft really got for air-to-air, fighter-to-fighter combat.  The angry growl of a hungry Griffon, the stacato of twin long barreled Hispano cannon, the aircraft as an extension, as a part of the pilot.  The very essence of a fighter.

Mosquito FB.Mk VI Series 2
The epitamy of versatility.  Wave-top, tree-top, roof-top level flights at speed, 345mph on the deck.  Gestapo killer.  Elegant lines and curves, pretty stepped leading edges on the wings. Such clean lines, nearly unmarred by seam lines or panels yet tough and durable, damage absorbing wood.  Machine guns, cannon, bombs, rockets...teeth. Twin roaring Merlins, 3,270hp rippling from the engines into the air. Vengeance. Striking against the aggressors.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2001, 07:07:00 AM »
Hmmmmm, so many choices. Oddly enough, I gotta go with the Me-410 B series. You don't hear much about 'em in books, but from what Sqadron/Signal published they look like a load of fun to fly. From cockpit shots I've posted before there's plenty of view, and the canopy bulges out on the sides. No more downward view restriction. Plus you can't beat all those armament options!

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
Me 410,Ki 102,He 219...It is hard to name 3 but to name one is imposable....

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
Barrage Balloon.

-----------

SignatureRuLz

JV69 RockGeleitbootstaffel KurtTankenwagen 703.5G-61Za

"unsichereIdentität 4"

Mustache reitet frei gegeben allen Mädchen und glatte Haut Jungen!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
F6F for PTO
P51B (w/ Malcolm Hood) for ETO
F-15 Eagle outside of WW2

However, I don't really fly them in AH for a few reasons.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2001, 11:40:00 PM »
In the game... The P51D

Not yet in the game.. A26A Invader. It'll change the course of the war.  :) All of 'em. Everywhere.

:D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2001, 11:57:00 PM »
Bf109G6

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2001, 03:13:00 AM »
i like the look of the 109

turning qualities of a zeke

toughness of a jug

firepower of a death star:-)

but overall id say the hurricane or the p-40 simply because of all the stories, more so the p-40 actually........yeah id say the p-40

rav

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2001, 03:20:00 AM »
A damned hard choice to make.  For some stupid reason, I have always loved the F4F Wildcat.

On the Axis, the Fw190s were/are so damned sexy, every guy wants one.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Obviously the P-51  :)

the a-26 hardnose(it just screams to me, BLOW THINGS UP!)  :D

109 e series, just something about the way it looks, with the squared off wings, the twin 20mm's. it just looks meaner than the F and G 109's

and the KI-43.
it has the turn radius of this -->  :) <-- smiley face. enough firepower to shoot down a small sparrow  :) and it's slow as hell. the ultimate perk harvesting plane  :D

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Favorite in WW2 would have to be..
Bf109G6
Totaly changes looks from different angles. Very cool paint and markings.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
Fw 190A-8

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Favorite WW2 plane?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
OK   for looks, the P-40 really looked like a fighter aircraft.  Liked it a long time, as well as the FW190.  both have the look of dealing death and destrction  :D
- The Flying Circus -