Author Topic: F4 Flyby  (Read 936 times)

Offline Pinner

• Zinc Member
F4 Flyby
« on: July 28, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
F4 Flyby
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Pretty dang cool.  

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
F4 Flyby
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
got to be a fake, right? i'm no expert but the plane is clear and the back ground is fuzzy, looks like it was croped.

thoughts?
The journey is the destination.

Offline Pinner

• Zinc Member
F4 Flyby
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
If the guy with the camera was tracking the plane while he shot, the background could possibly be blurry while plane is sharp. There as a short snippit that I got w/ the photo, I'll dig it out and post it in a message.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
F4 Flyby
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
Photo appears to be a fake. The F4 is in full burner yet there is NO heat distortion where the buildings show through where the exhaust is. Since the F4 IS in full burner, meaning going fast, the buildings should be more blurred by the panning of the camera to capture the plane.

Not bad but not real.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Pinner

• Zinc Member
F4 Flyby
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2001, 11:22:00 PM »
Here is the blurb that was sent with the photo:

Traditionally, on leaving overhaul at Saint Athan, aircraft would do a fly-by for the benefit of the groundcrew who had worked on it. The pilot of this particular Phantom FG1, a retiring Wing Commander, was chatting to a member of the ground crew the day before the departure flight. He said he was going to fly between the hangars and that the guy should be ready with a camera to record the event. It was due to be his last flight, so he was going to do something 'special'.  The groundcrew weren't too convinced of the pilot's claim, but stood around as usual anyway watching as the F4 took off, destination Leuchars. As the photo shows, the pilot was not joking, you can see the afterburner diamonds quite clearly in front of the hangar. You can also see personnel standing underneath it. The recently tuned Speys allegedly shook a man working in the roof of one of the hangars enough for him to fall and break his leg. These hangars are set east to west, about 75 yards apart, and you can estimate the height from the length of the Phantom.
Immediately after the event, the pilot was contacted by the tower and was instructed in no uncertain terms to 'return and land immediately'.  As I am told, he did so and was given a severe rollicking.  I don't know what action was taken, but it was his last flight in any case.  What a way to go out, I wonder if it ranks as one of the shortest logged emergency-free Phantom flights? This story is not exaggerated  - I don't know the original photographer, but the picture was taken on an ordinary instamatic camera,and then a blow-up was made. The original is, as a favour, temporarily in the possession of the current Station Commander at St Athan who is an ex-F4 jockey.  From the enlargement I have made the Phantom as XV575. The aircraft was scrapped in September 1991, but its legacy has to be this photograph.

Real or not, still a pretty interesting photo..   :)

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
F4 Flyby
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2001, 03:18:00 AM »
who said the phantoms didnt look [pretty. i reckon they look heaps cool.

wow at the alt, a sniffle can mean kaboom, but i guess he was a veteran

rav

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
F4 Flyby
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
F4 Flyby
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
RAF phantoms always looked good - I used to go down to RAF Coningsby as a kid and watch them with my dad.

I can't really believe a Wing Co would risk his pension by doing something like that.

Nice photo though.  :)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.