Author Topic: Oink !  (Read 9174 times)

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Re: Oink !
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
Sorry but I disagree.

If it were just the muppets you could tell them where to shove it and I'd agree.
If it were just the DFC, more or less the same thing in much more polite language.

But from where I stand its a growing group of people, and its a growing problem.

That sir should be enough incentive right there for you to take action if you truly care about your group.
Or not, your call.

You noticed I made no complaint, didn't add to the drama. I said what I believe and I'll stand behind it.
The stand your taking is just proving my point.

i can respect your positions ghosth and txmom (and yes txmom i still think you are great).  Obviously what I type is based on personal experience and encounters..as with each of you...we are on different sides of the fence in regard the "harmfulness" vs "funnness" of typing oink.

In terms of the DFC..i support its mission but not the tactics of SOME of its members....of course i recognize that a few vocal members do not fully represent their squad OR club...but the fact is they do represent when they are "wearing" their avatar or sig...they should take this into consideration or their other members should address it.

i definitely would encourage gameplay improvement (DFC mission) and our squad has tried to incorporate some of the suggestions from the community and Hitech's vision for his game.  As I have stated often, BoPs grew large under different circumstances then exist now in the MA...I agree that our gameplay should evolve as well...as long as we continue to have fun and enjoy the comradery...

But for "the usual suspects" to again dogpile a thread and suggest that a squad break its traditions seems dictatorial to me...and I choose to take a stand against it.  I hope you can respect my position... :salute
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:27:59 PM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
Hey, if there are the hogs for the Redskins; then "oink" is just fine! 

Screw the guys that get offended.  Get some thicker skin.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Well, at least I got a couple of good things out of all of this....

"flung dung" & "dung flung".....simply priceless.  :rofl

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
Falconwing, you don't speak for the DFC and don't have any accurate idea of what it's about.  End of story.

The pigs can oink all they want. It's independent of the fact that spam is spam.  What if some squad decided to type and speak their hilarious squad banter over public channels?  What if it then acted undignified because the public users of these public channels dared to point out that (gasp) they didn't find any of it funny or that it unnecessarily clogged the channels?  Or if they even used someone's death as justification for the spam?  That's all wrong.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:27:55 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
Falconwing, you don't speak for the DFC and don't have any accurate idea of what it's about.  End of story.

The pigs can oink all they want. It's independent of the fact that spam is spam.  What if some squad decided to type and speak their hilarious squad banter over public channels?  What if it then acted undignified because the public users of these public channels dared to point out that (gasp) they didn't find any of it funny or that it unnecessarily clogged the channels?  Or if they even used someone's death as justification for the spam?  That's all wrong.
I'd LOVE to hear the Muppet banter :lol
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
But for "the usual suspects" to again dogpile a thread and suggest that a squad break its traditions seems dictatorial to me...and I choose to take a stand against it.  I hope you can respect my position... :salute

This is spam (eg. unsolicited advertizement).  Channel 2 cannot be detuned.  Anyone who does not want their buffer scrolled with organized nonsense every 5-10 mintues is forced to squelch them.  As Vudak related in another thread, I would really prefer not to do that because there may be comms with information of value to me.  However, if it is excessive and disrupting comms that are important to me, I will.  This is flat out rude to force feed spam on country channel.  When I calmly pointed out in the arena when this was only going on for a couple months that such things would be better on squad channel, I was effectively told to go to hell.

Let's talk about tradition.  Traditionally, one does not give themselves congraduations.  Traditionally congraduations are given on the most closed channel availible to communicate on.  If you're not in the recipients squad, and you're not tuned to them, then traditionally channel 2 is used.  If they're not on your country, traditionally 1 or 200 is used.  And frankly your sports analogy does not hold up because fans do not hijack the public adress system to conduct their cheering on.  As Slapshot said this is not steeped in tradition.

The other night when I was on, I saw 11 POTW, but only four or so Oinks upon landing.  That is not excessive, and does not disrupt my use of comms, and I have no problem with it.  But instances like in the screen shot above every couple minutes, especially on Tues nights when there are over 200 people trying to use channel 2 it is beyond ridiculous.  Frankly at the beginning of last year I went from never using squelch, to having to use it almost every login to keep my comms from being disrupted in organized spamming every couple minutes because someone landed a sortie.

Yet you enter the discussion characterizing those unwillingly affected by this as the ones being jerks, as opposed to taking an honest look at those monopolizing a mandatory common channel just to draw attention to themselves when they are already provided with a channel for thier chatter.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
Yes, I find the pigs behavior funny and much more appetizing then what certain squads "spam" ch 200 with on a nightly basis....my opinion...take it or leave it

I guess i also tend to cut them some slack because they have always been respectful opponents and fun to joust with...without mega-egoes...

Finally, I have no real concept that ch 2 is used for anything extremely important besides calling out alerts or cv positions etc...but that may just be my experience as bish.  Perhaps it is a very important ch on knights.

As you have already mentioned even if you squelched 1/2 of them you would be no more interrupted then by the congrats bish give their pilots when they land kills or take a base....

"Yet you enter the discussion characterizing those unwillingly affected by this as the ones being jerks, as opposed to taking an honest look at those monopolizing a mandatory common channel just to draw attention to themselves when they are already provided with a channel for their chatter." - murdr

No...i enter the discussion after watching two threads and seeing that most of the folks terribly hot and bothered by the "oinks" are the exact same ones who I have come to see as intolerant and believing they have some reason to force their will upon others...the ones I would tend to characterize as "jerks" if you must use that word. (I am not referring to everyone who responded negatively...just the thread dogpilers) Steve wmlute slapshot and ghost post well and i enjoy hearing their point of view...i just disagree with them.

Again a silly fight perpetuated by the usual suspects....

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:26:51 PM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2009, 11:19:55 PM »
Dodge baby dodge!
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »
Finally, I have no real concept that ch 2 is used for anything extremely important besides calling out alerts or cv positions etc...but that may just be my experience as bish.  Perhaps it is a very important ch on knights.

Actually I think you are missing the concept that channel 2 traffic by default enters the text buffer whether you are tuned to it or not.  Channel 2 traffic isn't all that important to me, but if I'm on channel 1XX communicating with a group of people on a local effort, I don't appriciate 1/2 of those comms being scolled away because someone on the other end of the map landed 2 in a field gun.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2009, 12:25:17 AM »
Last time i heard this is america and we have a right to freedom of speech.

While I agree with your ability to oink and have no problems with it,

I think you need to re read what Freedom of speech means.  This is not a public venue, it is a private company.

Just as you do not have the right to go into Walmart and OINK at all the heffer's there either. :)

Now, what FOS means today is, you can disagree loudly if it means another criminal gets elected because he promises you the world then blames the other party for not coming through...but damned you if you try to point out their rather shady history.  We may have to harass you (and your family) with our 'FOS'.  (steps off soapbox once again.....)

Oh and btw  : OINK!  OINK away my friend!  :salute

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2009, 04:34:11 AM »
I think they know it is spam, especially now that it has been so clearly laid out to them.  Their refusal to change has nothing to do with tradition, but all the more to do with sticking to anybody who doesn't like it.  I'm sure there will be more oinks now than ever.  That's fine though.  It's much more of a negative reflection on the squad than it is aggravating to any knight imo.  I see it and I roll my eyes.  When eyes roll hundreds of times over the course of months, something is finally said about it.  Nobody is really 'upset' over it.  Pigs don't have enough pull in the game to upset anybody.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2009, 04:39:36 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is spam (eg. unsolicited advertizement).  Channel 2 cannot be detuned.  Anyone who does not want their buffer scrolled with organized nonsense every 5-10 mintues is forced to squelch them.  As Vudak related in another thread, I would really prefer not to do that because there may be comms with information of value to me.  However, if it is excessive and disrupting comms that are important to me, I will.  This is flat out rude to force feed spam on country channel.  When I calmly pointed out in the arena when this was only going on for a couple months that such things would be better on squad channel, I was effectively told to go to hell.

Let's talk about tradition.  Traditionally, one does not give themselves congraduations.  Traditionally congraduations are given on the most closed channel availible to communicate on.  If you're not in the recipients squad, and you're not tuned to them, then traditionally channel 2 is used.  If they're not on your country, traditionally 1 or 200 is used.  And frankly your sports analogy does not hold up because fans do not hijack the public adress system to conduct their cheering on.  As Slapshot said this is not steeped in tradition.

The other night when I was on, I saw 11 POTW, but only four or so Oinks upon landing.  That is not excessive, and does not disrupt my use of comms, and I have no problem with it.  But instances like in the screen shot above every couple minutes, especially on Tues nights when there are over 200 people trying to use channel 2 it is beyond ridiculous.  Frankly at the beginning of last year I went from never using squelch, to having to use it almost every login to keep my comms from being disrupted in organized spamming every couple minutes because someone landed a sortie.

Yet you enter the discussion characterizing those unwillingly affected by this as the ones being jerks, as opposed to taking an honest look at those monopolizing a mandatory common channel just to draw attention to themselves when they are already provided with a channel for thier chatter.

All that spamming for 2 kills and, those 2 were prob proxies =/

R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »
after following this thread for awhile, 

I think I have to agree that oinking excessively is spam,  I will also refrain my squad from giving wtg's on country too.   I won't be held responsible for wtg's from others of which there are usually many.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2009, 05:08:17 AM »
This story was fake from the start.  The real reason the pigs are ranting on the muppets is that a couple of us said one time too many (not many required to strike a nerve) that they horde. Which they do (how often is something else). And they're free to keep doing it... and earn the rep for it.  That's what really bugs them.  The oink thing was just an excuse picked up when someone must have made some off hand comment about it being spam (which it is).  Then it just snowballs with all sorts of ludicrous hearsay about muppets having a hardon for pigs, oinking, or that they're trying to disrespect the death of someone who's supposed to be the justification for spamming ch2.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:10:03 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53:51 AM »
All that spamming for 2 kills and, those 2 were prob proxies =/

Dont talk about something you dont know about, Mr. Idontplayaceshighnemore. I am pretty good about how I get my kills, they are never hos, i never jump into a fight without asking or being in it already, and the only time i pick is when someone is dumb enough to rope themself or when clearing a sqauddies six,  <finger> bipolar
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"