Author Topic: Question for you car type people  (Read 563 times)

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Question for you car type people
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:06:45 AM »
I drive a 2001 F-150 (5.4 V8) with about 143,000 miles on it. Sometime early in January I went out start it to go to work. I noticed it was vibrating really bad as soon as it started. We had it towed tot the mechanic and he said a cylinder was misfiring due to a broken ignition coil. So they replaced the ignition coil, problem solved.... for 2 weeks. Same thing happened again, replaced another coil. 3 days later same thing happens again, so they replace all the ignition coils. Problem solved... until last night, coming home from work, the thing starts vibrating again. I'm taking it back the the mechanic today, I have a feeling its the same thing that happened before. The guy is a friend of the family we have been going to for 30 years so I doubt he is messing with us. Anyone heard of this before? or know what the heck is going on?

And I am fully prepared for all the "ford's suck" jokes about to come my way.

Offline Coog03

• Copper Member
Re: Question for you car type people
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:24:53 AM »
My brother has gone through 6 coils in his and i think it's a 2001. The rest of the family drives chevy's.
VF41 Red Rippers
368th Thunder Bums
Killuminati

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:12 AM »
I assume that plugs and wires have been swapped out as well?  Friend of mine has the same truck and 150,000 trouble free miles so far.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:40 AM »
If you can afford it, swap them all out.

I drive a Ford, but I'll be the first to say how badly they're made- mines got 70,000 miles and the entire suspension (shocks, struts, and springs all around) just had to be replaced, as well as one of the sway-bar arms (left front) and a ball join (right front). Even with most of the parts previously purchased, my bill came to almost $500 for parts and labor.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
If you can afford it, swap them all out.

I drive a Ford, but I'll be the first to say how badly they're made- mines got 70,000 miles and the entire suspension (shocks, struts, and springs all around) just had to be replaced, as well as one of the sway-bar arms (left front) and a ball join (right front). Even with most of the parts previously purchased, my bill came to almost $500 for parts and labor.

All 8 of them got replaced last month.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:48:50 AM »
Hmm...

Something else related causing the vibration but not getting picked up? Maybe something with the ignition or wiring?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »
I drive a 2001 F-150 (5.4 V8) with about 143,000 miles on it. Sometime early in January I went out start it to go to work. I noticed it was vibrating really bad as soon as it started. We had it towed tot the mechanic and he said a cylinder was misfiring due to a broken ignition coil. So they replaced the ignition coil, problem solved.... for 2 weeks. Same thing happened again, replaced another coil. 3 days later same thing happens again, so they replace all the ignition coils. Problem solved... until last night, coming home from work, the thing starts vibrating again. I'm taking it back the the mechanic today, I have a feeling its the same thing that happened before. The guy is a friend of the family we have been going to for 30 years so I doubt he is messing with us. Anyone heard of this before? or know what the heck is going on?

was it the same coil every time? and which one? the 5.4's are notorious for blowing spark plugs out of their holes. you may have one going bad like that.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
was it the same coil every time? and which one? the 5.4's are notorious for blowing spark plugs out of their holes. you may have one going bad like that.

It was different coils each time.

Offline trukjr

• Copper Member
      • http://http://home.alltel.net/hensons/public_html/main.html
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
Some trucks with the 5.4 and expeditions were bad for having water run off the wiper cowl and onto the engine causing coil problems.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
It was different coils each time.

OK..then you probably want to replace the rest...........they tend to go bad. I HAD A 5.4 VAN, that i had to replace all 8 of them. back then they were somewhaere around $150 each or something like that....they've come down a bit since then though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:09:30 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
I'd look for another electrical problem.  Bad grounding wire might arc and kill the coils, bad voltage regulator might do the same, even a bad computer with a short might be killing them.  If it's intermittant, you'll need to check all the wiring and connectors under the hood.

A trick - run the car at night when it's really dark, and look for little blue sparks or arcing under the hood.  Have someone rev the engine while you look for little blue glowing spots.  Remember it takes 30 minutes in total darkness for your eyes to fully adjust...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »

Get a Chevy.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
I'd look for another electrical problem.  Bad grounding wire might arc and kill the coils, bad voltage regulator might do the same, even a bad computer with a short might be killing them.  If it's intermittant, you'll need to check all the wiring and connectors under the hood.

A trick - run the car at night when it's really dark, and look for little blue sparks or arcing under the hood.  Have someone rev the engine while you look for little blue glowing spots.  Remember it takes 30 minutes in total darkness for your eyes to fully adjust...

he won't see anything. this is a COP.....coil on plug setup. the plugs are in wells that are about 2 inches deep. the boot(which is part of the coilpack) is down in that well, with 2 bolts holding it down, and then a 2 wire connector.

these types of coil packs have been historically bad problems for ford. it only takes a very very tiny nick in the boot, and it'll arc. the voltage output is that high.

if he wants to check them himself, he can pull them one at a time, and look very closely at them. there'll be a light white almost transparent powdery look around where the voltage is leaking.

other than that, the only other option is to replace the rest of them.

it is very rare for a ford computer to cause this/
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
I have a 99 F-150 with about 150k on it and had to replace one coil-pack so far.  Been a great truck....coil-pack and EGR sencor have been the only things I have had to replace.  

I would have him look deeper into the ignition system.  Plugs, wires..ect.  Does it do it when it's damp/raining out only or all the time?  
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:25 AM »
I have a 99 F-150 with about 150k on it and had to replace one coil-pack so far.  Been a great truck....coil-pack and EGR sencor have been the only things I have had to replace.  

I would have him look deeper into the ignition system.  Plugs, wires..ect.  Does it do it when it's damp/raining out only or all the time?  

there are no wires. C.O.P. system.

the ECM is the ignition system. it's an EEC5 setup.

and ya.....the DPFE sensors go bad on almost all fords all the time too

just for the record, i still like fords better.  :D

another thing to look for is oil or antifreeze in the spark plug wells. this'll trash a coil pack fast
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:27:42 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"