Author Topic: 3/9/08 AVA  (Read 2182 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
3/9/08 AVA
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »
the AVA has been pretty fun the last few days with alot of new comers. unfortunately they bring with them the MA tactics. we're trying to get them to understand that better fights come 1 on 1 rather then 3 and 4 on 1. other then that, we've had more people in there then the early war.

side balancing is working out good, no complaints so far. its been a good time. come in check it out. try to understand that we try to be a bit more civilized in the AVA then in other arena's (please keep laughter to a minimum).

the planeset is pretty well matched and its been a blast, keep up the fun and check it out if you have a chance.

<S> to all

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: 3/9/08 AVA
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
the AVA has been pretty fun the last few days with alot of new comers. unfortunately they bring with them the MA tactics. we're trying to get them to understand that better fights come 1 on 1 rather then 3 and 4 on 1. other then that, we've had more people in there then the early war.

News Flash: the last couple times I was in the AvA you guys were ganging and running away with the best of them, in La-7s.  Larry was complaining that people were not respecting his 1vs1 fights, right in the middle of a furball, while batfinkv was getting cherry picked by guys in your squad.

Here's the deal: if you want the numbers in the AvA that will make it a viable arena, then there are going to be furballs, and people are going to get ganged and picked... and that's ok, but please spare us the rhetoric.  1vs1 fights can remain distinct when there are less than 10 people in the arena, but more than that, and it becomes a furball.  A furball is what people want because furballs are fun.  The 1vs1 ethos only makes sense when there are few players because any side imbalance become magnified, e.g. 3:2 is far worse odds than 9:10.

Lastly, the AvA does not belong to you and you do not have the right to tell people how to play there (unless someone is breaking rules established by the CM's, i.e. in BoA).  I remember Savlan and Dawger were there one night, two very good pilots, and I doubt they've come back because they were verbally harassed on 200 every 15 minutes when they weren't flying on the deck at 200mph spinning luftberries, and were using wingman tactics (oh the horror).  The day we no longer have self-appointed curators for the AvA will be the day when we have 60 people there on a Wednesday night, and I don't need to point what the circumstances were the last time that happened.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »

Lastly, the AvA does not belong to you and you do not have the right to tell people how to play there (unless someone is breaking rules established by the CM's, i.e. in BoA).  I remember Savlan and Dawger were there one night, two very good pilots, and I doubt they've come back because they were verbally harassed on 200 every 15 minutes when they weren't flying on the deck at 200mph spinning luftberries, and were using wingman tactics (oh the horror).  The day we no longer have self-appointed curators for the AvA will be the day when we have 60 people there on a Wednesday night, and I don't need to point what the circumstances were the last time that happened.

Now this thing with savlan and dawger is a different story. I would really not like to discuss it either

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

I saw nothing in Jaegers post that warranted this type of response.

You know, sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Before you voice a negative opinion, come in and see for yourself see what is happening in the AVA lately. You may be pleasantly surprised.

cheers,
RTR

The Damned

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
News Flash: the last couple times I was in the AvA you guys were ganging and running away with the best of them, in La-7s.  Larry was complaining that people were not respecting his 1vs1 fights, right in the middle of a furball, while batfinkv was getting cherry picked by guys in your squad.

Okay KrustyJr, you might want to get the facts straight before going on about something. First off, so what if some of us were in LA7s. They were enabled in that setup so is there something wrong with that? I didn't complain once. I told you and batfink if you see me fighting someone not to come in because I didn't need your help ATFER both of you came in and picked 1v1s I was in, and they were a few K from the furball not "right in the middle" of them. What I saw most of that night was you, batfink, and one other guy always coming in at least 5k above the fight picking already engaged enemy.

Here's the deal: if you want the numbers in the AvA that will make it a viable arena, then there are going to be furballs, and people are going to get ganged and picked... and that's ok, but please spare us the rhetoric.  1vs1 fights can remain distinct when there are less than 10 people in the arena, but more than that, and it becomes a furball.  A furball is what people want because furballs are fun.  The 1vs1 ethos only makes sense when there are few players because any side imbalance become magnified, e.g. 3:2 is far worse odds than 9:10.

I don't want numbers because of the furballs that makes. I don't think furballs are "fun", and if I wanted to be in one Id go to the LWs. I like when there are low numbers because then the fight are civil and you don't have to worry about a "gavagai" type person coming in at light speed trying to pick fight because that's all they know how to do.

No the AvA doesn't belong to us, but we are titled an opinion no matter what you may think of it. I remember dawger to. He was a very crappy cartoon pilot who only came in at 15-25k and B&Zed until he lost all alt then ran.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:53:54 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:49:16 PM »
The day we no longer have self-appointed curators for the AvA will be the day when we have 60 people there on a Wednesday night

Actually, people have been squelching their opinions pretty well over the past week or so.  Channel 200 chatter has been reduced, and very polite.  We've seen new folks poking their heads in, and they aren't getting chased out.  Hey, I have film to prove it.

Most of us (looks sideways at Larry) would like to see better numbers in AvA.  We've had big numbers when new ideas were hatched, but those numbers drain off after awhile.  For all their warts and scabs, the fact is that the JG54 people have generally stuck with the arena for years when others have not.  Since the La7 v Nik setup they have been trying very hard, and I think quite successfully, to muzzle the negative waves.  Jaeger's post, above, is a good example of this.

Stop back and see for yourself!

- oldman
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:50:49 PM by Oldman731 »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
Most of us (looks sideways at Larry) would like to see better numbers in AvA. 

Looking over my previous post I really didn't mean "I don't want number". They way I see it big numbers can be good or bad for gameplay. When I ran the weekly missions that brought in what I call 'good numbers'. Most of the arena was involved in it and each side had its little 'objective'. When both sides ran into each other everyone had fun trying to complete those 'objectives'. Now on the other hand there can be what I call 'bad numbers'. That's when both sides have nothing to do so they furball between two bases and in turns into a pick and gangfest until one side beats the other side to their base and then the vulching begins. All that does is makes the new guys think that's that happens every day and when the whole "mini MA" thing starts. That's the reason I have been against the past ''wars'' because that's all they brought. If you can find a way to bring in numbers but spread them out over the arena and get them to respect that some don't like to have their fights interrupted then Ill be all for it.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
lol .. and the song remains the same ...

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:45:30 AM »

try reading the MOTD sometime. im pretty sure is says "civil behavior is requested and Required for this Arena"

thanks and have a great day.  :)

PS I LOVE YOU TOO!!  :D

P.S.S maybe you and your gang would like to take us on in a Squad V Squad. let us know! thats if you have the intestinal fortitude  :noid

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:50 AM »

yup...   :(
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12:15 AM »

Pot-kettle-black
See Rule #4

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »
Hey it's nice just to see some posting going on in the AvA forums, place has been so dusty lately with inactivity.

We definitely need some new blood in the AvA.  People without axes to grind.  The AvA is the only place where you can fly historical rides in historical matches, and just have fun.  No red tape.  Hopefully Fudgums idea will get a few good eggs.

Hey, that's what we need, a recruitment poster!
P-47 pilot

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »
i nominate gavagai to write it, he has a way with words!! and a very encouraging demeanor!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »
Hey it's nice just to see some posting going on in the AvA forums, place has been so dusty lately with inactivity.

We definitely need some new blood in the AvA.  People without axes to grind.  The AvA is the only place where you can fly historical rides in historical matches, and just have fun.  No red tape.  Hopefully Fudgums idea will get a few good eggs.

Hey, that's what we need, a recruitment poster!

Two semi done write ups are sort of done but not really.  :lol

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:54 AM »
originally posted by Larry:
I remember dawger to. He was a very crappy cartoon pilot who only came in at 15-25k and B&Zed until he lost all alt then ran.

BS...Dawger is a career pilot in real life. In the sim world he's set up and run historical arenas and large scale events. He's been a trainer for years who's helped a multitude of people improve their game play. He's written training manuals and ran the WB's on-line academy. Salvan was a WB's trainer and CO of 475th, a squad held in high regard in the flight sim community. Then there's The Avengers. At any rate a lot of quality players new to AH have tried the AvA over the short time I've been here, none of them have stayed and many of the old diehards don't get it and don't care.