Author Topic: Modify Enemy GV Drive through...  (Read 565 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Modify Enemy GV Drive through...
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:08:39 AM »
I wish that the ability to drive inside an enemy GV be changed so that when 2 armored vehicles run into eachother, they run into eachother. 

Have a great day,

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: Modify Enemy GV Drive through...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
I'm guessing if HTC implimented this, it would be like the current collision model for aircraft, i.e. one guy would just randomly explode when they got within 50 yds of each other.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
Imagine hitting a tree then....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
I'm guessing that since they're both movable objects, with the same "where I think I am" vs "where you think I am" problem endemic to the current collision model, that they're modeled much the same way as aircraft are, and would probably behave the same way if collision detection were turned on. I guess HTC could enable collisions but disable damage though.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
I thought I should clarify: it is not so that intentional ramming can occur, although it would be interesting.  (Thinks of Tiger driving over lighter armored vehicles :uhoh) It is more to address the very unrealistic aspect of being able to "ghost" through an enemy GV.  Even if it stopped you dead in your tracks with no damage, it would be closer to a real feel.

Have a great day,

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »
I think Cthulhu is trying to say:

If there is a collision it might just end up on one person's computer. Which means if it is on your FE then you would get stopped suddenly but the person you collided with would keep going causing a while list of whines and confusion as well.

Now given the speed that gv's move in by comparison to aircraft this may be less of an issue than mid-airs are but still an issue none-the-less.

I however agree that it would be nice if you could not drive through other gv's and it is very unrealistic but limited on options as well.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
I think Cthulhu is trying to say:

If there is a collision it might just end up on one person's computer. Which means if it is on your FE then you would get stopped suddenly but the person you collided with would keep going causing a while list of whines and confusion as well.

Now given the speed that gv's move in by comparison to aircraft this may be less of an issue than mid-airs are but still an issue none-the-less.

I however agree that it would be nice if you could not drive through other gv's and it is very unrealistic but limited on options as well.

Pretty much. If I understand the code as it is, collisions with stationary objects are handled by your PC and the server only, whereas collisions between players is a much more complex affair between both PC's and the server.

Let me ellaborate. Say you hit a sheep. The location of that sheep is defined by the map which is local to your PC (I believe). Everybody sees that sheep in exactly the same location on their PC, so colliding with it is handled purely by your PC (and the results of the collision relayed to the server).

Your position relative to another moving player is, due to network issues, well, a matter of opinion. Provided you have minimal network delays, then both PC's (and hence both players) can pretty much agree on where they both are. However, as network delays and vehicle speeds increase, we start to see more of the weird and annoying collision behavior that we're all familiar with in aircraft.

dkff49 is right in that the much lower speeds would make it much less of an issue for GV's, but I suspect that HTC would wind up using the same collision code that it uses for aircraft.

Frankly you're right waystin2. It's silly to be able to drive thru nme GV's. But I suspect that HTC has the code set up that way because something very squirrelly happens when they turn on collisions.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

dkff49 is right in that the much lower speeds would make it much less of an issue for GV's, but I suspect that HTC would wind up using the same collision code that it uses for aircraft.

Frankly you're right waystin2. It's silly to be able to drive thru nme GV's. But I suspect that HTC has the code set up that way because something very squirrelly happens when they turn on collisions.

This is kind of what I was trying to get at. Only I will add that this would most likely add another level of confusion and whines due to the fact that using the aircraft collision modelling you most likely would still see the other persons tank driving through yours but you would be stopped. This alone would start the same kind of threads that we continuously see about the midair's.

Another way to look at this though is enacting this would solve another problem that is not seen very often but does come up from time to time. I personally am not going to explain this in detail because there are many grievers that don't know about it yet and would continuously do it after finding out. Some hints though involve chutes, jeeps, M16's and tanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:52:33 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:44:56 AM »
Another way to look at this though is enacting this would solve another problem that is not seen very often but does come up from time to time. I personally am not going to explain this in detail because there are many grievers that don't know about it yet and would continuously do it after finding out. Some hints though involve chutes, jeeps, M16's and tanks.
PM sent. I want to hear more about this.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Have you ever seen someone take off from a CV and be 200 feet off the port side while making his run. Thats why they can't have "collisions" on GVs. Lag causes too much displacement so you would have too many people crying when some one "looked" like they drove thru you, or just as many complaining they "crashed" when they weren't even close

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »
Been a while, so let me see if I can remember why it can't be done -

a) Because of the slow speeds involved it would be possible for two GVs to become interlocked.
b) Or you would bounce off the other GV and fly apart at lightspeed. Something similar to bouncing off trees, but much much worse.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory