Author Topic: "Judy" dive bomber  (Read 1257 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
"Judy" dive bomber
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
The Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

General Characteristics

* Crew: two (pilot & gunner/radio operator)
    * Length: 33 ft 6 in (10.22 m)
    * Wingspan: 37 ft 9 in (11.50 m)
    * Height: 12 ft 3 in (3.74 m)
    * Wing area: 254 ft² (23.6 m²)
    * Empty weight: 5,379 lb (2,440 kg)
    * Loaded weight: 9,370 lb (4,250 kg)
    * Powerplant: 1× Aichi Atsuta AEIA 32 piston engine, 1,400 hp (1,044 kW)

Performance

* Maximum speed: 342 mph (550 km/h)
    * Range: 910 miles (1,465 km)
    * Service ceiling: 35,105 ft (10,700 m)
    * Rate of climb: ft/min (m/s)
    * Wing loading: 37 lb/ft² (180 kg/m²)
    * Power/mass: 0.15 hp/lb (0.25 kW/kg)

Armament

* 2x forward-firing 7.7 mm machine guns
    * 1x rearward-firing 7.92 mm machine gun
    * 500 kg (1,103 lb) of bombs (design), 800 kg (1,765 lb) of bombs

It seems to fit all the requirements. Plus its not American.  ;)

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: "Judy" dive bomber
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »
I thought the current requirements for a wish were:

big cannons
really really fast
uber late war
nook

:noid

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
I thought the current requirements for a wish were:

big cannons
really really fast
uber late war
nook

:noid

wrongway
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but its not uber late war, really, really fast, doesn't have big cannons or carry a nuke.  :cry

-FYB

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »
Not a bad choice at all, however I think the D3A is a good fit for anything that the "Judy" would be tapped for in a scenario at this time.  Yeah, the "Judy" is a bit faster and can carry another 250-350kg ord, but outside of scenarios... well... just how often do we see the SBD in the MA?

I would hope that HTC would strongly consider the next Japanese plane to be the twin engined Ki-45 KAIa "Nick" dive bomber.  Over 1100 were built since introduction into service in Nov 1942.  It saw service in all parts of the PTO and was used as a long range fighter, bomber interceptor, and ground attack aricraft.  With a pair of 20mm in the nose, or a single 20mm and a single 37mm for attacking shipping and ground targets, plus 2/250kg bombs, I would think it would do nicely. 

If not the "Nick", then for sure the "Betty" bomber.  Either way, the Japanese win.   :)

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »
When compared to the Val, Judy is a far, far better aircraft.

As it is, the Japanese side has essentially no chance in scenarios as their CV strike aircraft are both from the 1930s.  They were both excellent aircraft for their role when introduced, but by WWII, no so much.

Another one to consider is the Jill to replace the Kate.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
Judy is an essential scenario bird IMO. I'd love to see the Grace but its clearly a late war bird and would have no scenario use to speak of. Oscar is the biggest "hole" in the Japanese plane set (along with the Betty).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but its not uber late war, really, really fast, doesn't have big cannons or carry a nuke.  :cry

-FYB

Come again?

Performance

* Maximum speed: 342 mph (550 km/h)
    * Range: 910 miles (1,465 km)
    * Service ceiling: 35,105 ft (10,700 m)
    * Rate of climb: ft/min (m/s)
    * Wing loading: 37 lb/ft² (180 kg/m²)
    * Power/mass: 0.15 hp/lb (0.25 kW/kg)

:O :O

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »

-FYB
Yeah Wrongway, yah n00b. Doncha no nuthin bout da airplanes?

Not a bad choice at all, however I think the D3A is a good fit for anything that the "Judy" would be tapped for in a scenario at this time.  Yeah, the "Judy" is a bit faster and can carry another 250-350kg ord, but outside of scenarios... well... just how often do we see the SBD in the MA?

I would hope that HTC would strongly consider the next Japanese plane to be the twin engined Ki-45 KAIa "Nick" dive bomber.  Over 1100 were built since introduction into service in Nov 1942.  It saw service in all parts of the PTO and was used as a long range fighter, bomber interceptor, and ground attack aricraft.  With a pair of 20mm in the nose, or a single 20mm and a single 37mm for attacking shipping and ground targets, plus 2/250kg bombs, I would think it would do nicely. 

If not the "Nick", then for sure the "Betty" bomber.  Either way, the Japanese win.   :)

I'd love to see the Ki-45  :aok , but don't call it a dive bomber. Frankly I'd like to see the Ki-46 (it's such a pretty airplane), but it would be nearly useless in AH.

Judy is an essential scenario bird IMO. I'd love to see the Grace but its clearly a late war bird and would have no scenario use to speak of. Oscar is the biggest "hole" in the Japanese plane set (along with the Betty).
Agreed, both played too large a role to be left out, though I suspect we got the Peggy instead of the Betty because HTC knew the Betty would get slaughtered in the MA, and would get relegated to the hanger real quick.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
Come again?

:O :O

His response is to my sarcastic response of it not meeting "wish requirements" by not being uber enough.

The only wishes you see are for rare, late-war, cannon armed birds.

:P

I'm all for Judy Judy Judy

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
I've always liked the name Judy......

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
I would prefer the early in-line engined judy vs the later model radial
oh yea...can we get a n00k with perks?
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
I agree, it would be great for scenarios. Used in the MAs? Not a chance...but there are some guys who play this game exclusively for the Special Events and they should get some new toys aswell.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »
Its far superior than both the Japanese dive bomber/ bombers (Not including the Ki-67). Although definitely not the greatest thing to fly in MA, it can be widely used for Special Events arena, AvA and Mid War Arena.

-FYB

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
Judy!   :aok

Also used for recon, some sources call it the fastest carrier-based strike plane of the war. With over 2,000 produced, it was second only to the Zero among IJN carrier types in terms of the number deployed in active service.

FYI, that picture is likely either a D4Y3 or D4Y4 with the air-cooled Mitsubishi radial engine.  Here is a D4Y (D4Y1 or D4Y2?) with the Aichi Atsuta, a license-built copy of the Daimler-Benz 601A:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:45:02 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:29 PM »
Judy!   :aok

Also used for recon, some sources call it the fastest carrier-based strike plane of the war. With over 2,000 produced, it was second only to the Zero among IJN carrier types in terms of the number deployed in active service.

FYI, that picture is likely either a D4Y3 or D4Y4 with the air-cooled Mitsubishi radial engine.  Here is a D4Y (D4Y1 or D4Y2?) with the Aichi Atsuta, a license-built copy of the Daimler-Benz 601A:

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh, my bad.  :o

-FYB