Author Topic: PBY  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Presider

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/paulej_2000/
PBY
« on: January 06, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Did I hear someone say they wanted a PBY? I'd love one. I cant fight or bomb and I can barely land, but with the PBY I could do Recon A.K.A. Take pictures of enemy locations. I know I'd be shot to hell in that swlow thing, But I love its design! it's time for a flying boat in AH. You could just about land a PBY upside down in water.

This is a great game, just something that would make it even better, a PBY Catelina!

I hope an administrator sees this. Thanks for your time

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
PBY
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2001, 03:56:00 AM »
I don't understand. I have seen many posts looking to have the PBY added to AH. It was a great plane, but what purpose could it serve in AH? If I am going to do recon, I am taking a fighter or B26. THere are no need for real recon, as taking pictures is useless in this sim. The only thing you will accomplish in PBY is get your bellybutton shot off.

Maybe if HTC puts some subs to hunt, or maybe some shipping convoys. THen you got a use for it.

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
PBY
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2001, 01:26:00 AM »

Maybe if HTC puts some subs to hunt, or maybe some shipping convoys. THen you got a use for it.

Sub hunting would be nice but who has time to hunt them? Even in our small map it would be next to impossible to find one unless the sea would be infested with them. Convoys or lone merhant ships would be far more interesting as yiou could in fact find them  

As for PBY, not much use for it in AH I'm afraid.

------------------
jochen Gefectsverband Kuhlmey I/SG 5

Sieg oder bolsevismus!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
PBY
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2001, 05:46:00 AM »
You'd have to develop a useful role for recon type planes, such as allowing them to update everyone's (on a country) clipboard maps with useful info.  i.e. they mark an enemy CV, and as long as they maintain contact with the CV, everyone on their country can see where it is, its heading, etc... on their clipboard map.  

You could limit the strat info that is currently available to everyone in the clipboard map, such as another country's radar percentage, to only being available if a recon type plane was in contact with the appropriate enemy strategical structure.

Gordo

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
PBY
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
How about spotting for the fleet?  A PBY observer could put a crosshair on a target and "set" the range/bearing for a cruiser's guns.  Much more accurate than clicking on the map.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
PBY
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
If we want a Seaplane, lets get the H8K2 "Emily".  It can do all of the things the PBY can, plus its a bomber, plus its well defended, plus the H8K3 was a troop transport, plus its even tougher than the PBY and finally, ITS NOT AMERICAN!!!!!

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
PBY
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
I like that, Popeye.

Gordo

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
PBY
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
 If it lands on the water and takes off from it i don't care what it is I will be happy to fly it  

Brady

------------------

[This message has been edited by brady (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline astamps

• Zinc Member
PBY
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
I notice that the Battle Ship already has a seaplane crane on the stern.  This is for hoisting a float plane onboard.  Why not have AH develop a Kingfisher that could pick up downed pilots and also spot for the Battleship guns.  Would not be a very hard airplane to develop and would be a fun addition to AH.  Kingfisher also carried small bombs so could hunt subs if there ever were any.

Agree that PBY is a great plane, but just no place for it in AH at the moment with the vehicles that we have.  Would be a flying coffin.

majors

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
PBY
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
astamps,
Would be nice if we had a battleship.  That is a heavy cruiser.  Its about a 1/4th the size of a battleship and has guns that are 1/2 the diameter.

Just nitpicking though, we all know what you meant.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GearDwn

• Zinc Member
PBY
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
Be nice if we had some kind of spotter system plane/land spotter like all the Auzzies in the bush it could be some kind of dropped in spotter from a 47 or auto that would be interesting to make it worth the time you could receive points from the damage you directed onto the target..... anyway we need some kind of input on what are bombardments are doing  

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
PBY
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2001, 09:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by popeye:
How about spotting for the fleet?  A PBY observer could put a crosshair on a target and "set" the range/bearing for a cruiser's guns.  Much more accurate than clicking on the map.

Now that is a re-visit of a post pior to the 1.05 release. This would be an excellent ability.

If the PBY pilot could select an 8" gun prior to takeoff and then use a bombsight to aim the gun. Kind of like dropping bombs, but instead of a bomb dropping, when the PBY pilot pulled the trigger, the selected 8" gun from the cruiser would fire to that spot. What do you think of that?

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
PBY
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
Spotter planes sounds like a neat idea.  However, why would you fly an unarmed spotter plane from a cruiser when you could fly a fighter from the carrier?  The purpose of those light floatplanes was to give the line ships an organic aviation capability when they were away from the carrier fleet.

I don't think the spotter plane should have some sort of magic crosshair or laser designator.  You should have to bracket the target visually, just like real spotter planes did.

Two things would help with visual adjustment.  First, a white phosporous marking round.  Second, the ability to slave all the guns on the cruiser to fire off one firing solution or aiming point.

Seaplanes are also a great idea. The PBY should be enabled for troop-carrying duty, and be able to spawn from the fleet.  This would provide a useful alternative to landing craft (when we ever get those).

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
Re: PBY
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
They PBY might be useful for Anti-CV duties. It could take off from ports If I remember correctly it could carry two 500IB bombs or 2 1,000IB torp.
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: PBY
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »
You could have searched for a more recent thread or created a new one instead of resurrecting a dead thread from 9 years ago.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song