Author Topic: 3 very important lessons on PC security software  (Read 1718 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
3 very important lessons on PC security software
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
I just movd to NC, and mom has this new Business version of NOD32...seemed like it was better than my regular NOD32....so when I went to install it, it says remove all other anti virus or shutdown firewalls or what have you.or turn them off ( meaning antivirus )

so I says mmmmkay...... I uninstall my version of NOD32 and shutdown ZApro...........stupid me

I went to go make a store run for some smokes.and when I came back, it completely slipped my mind of what I had been doing.......

and I began to go browsing..... I picked up 39 intrusions....and had some ind of BOT completely take over my PC to the effect that after 2 reboots it had me locked out completely because I did not know the password  to log into windows, the password feature that I had never ever turned on in my WinXP Pro life......

Lesson#1: unplug internet when switching internet security software until prompted for it......

Lesson#2: never leave a job have finished

Lesson#3: read up on what these new BOT's are that are people taking over your bandwith & control of your entire PC.....

the good news........I was able to pull the hard drive / restore my BIOS use and old RAID HD ( SATA hotswappable ) fom my old pc, boot up the new PC and run NOD32 on the new drive ( which picked up immediately like it was an extra storage drive/data drive ) run 4 scan & Cleans.....then double checked it with trendmicro housecall & spybot 1.62 to verify that it was completely clean.......oh btw.this is roughly 18 to 19 straight hours of hell I went through that I am typing this.......

YMMV....mine was a long hard road of live & learn......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: 3 very important lessons on PC security software
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:04:11 AM »
Or take some time to properly configure the default security levels of the OS.  I find this to be the least frustrating way of dealing with all this mess.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
9 out of every 10 people that come with infections have NOD.. i dont find it very effective

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
I'd say replacing NOD with Norton is more appropriate.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
I'd say replacing NOD with Norton is more appropriate.

only problem i have with norton (mcafee too)  is it slows most computers down IMHO.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
Just put your pc behind NAT and you will never run into this again.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
9 out of every 10 people that come with infections have NOD.. i dont find it very effective

I don't think many folks on this BBS are shocked by your claim.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »
I don't think many folks on this BBS are shocked by your claim.   

SHOCKED
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:07:53 AM »
SHOCKED

You should only be shocked if you believe ANYTHING "TheZohan" types. He's number one on my ignore list..... if we ever get it back  :D

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
:rofl
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
the fugitive is a really great guy

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »
Just put your pc behind NAT and you will never run into this again.

agreed, is not my router....since I let my daughters  back in Florida keep it..and I carelessly just added a patch cable off of Mom's router and instantly logged on and started surfing those webwaves......

but thanks for the reminder to go check out Mom's router capabilitys & settings......

Or take some time to properly configure the default security levels of the OS.  I find this to be the least frustrating way of dealing with all this mess.
Skuzzy, if and when you get a chance....would you mind PMing me your idea of  Proper OS security levels.......I know you a overloaded workaholic and understand this request is probally numbered 2,012 if not higher  :D

I thought you posted once, Skuzzy, that you did not care much for MS WinXP firewall? when you mention proper security, you are talking about IE, I am assuming?

being overly cuatious.....I am fixing to format & install my NEW spare SATA II 320 gig HD........ then once I get all important files off of that other HD, I will completely swipe it clean with paragon ( using the government swiping/cleaning utility ) and reformat it for later use......

am kind of glad I did not set this new PC up with RAID, for it would have infected both HD's........

I have never had any problems with NOD32 or ZoneAlarm/ZonealarmPro.........  I hate mcaffee  and Nortons......

Bighorn suggested OutPost once... I tried it kind of liked it....but switched back to NOD........

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
In the Control Panel, open the "Internet Options" ICON.  Select the "Security" tab.  By default, in all Windows versions prior to Vista, Microsoft had the defaults configured to be the same for every zone and those defaults allowed anything and everything into your computer.

Just set the 4 zones to the appropriate levels you feel comfortable with.  No one here would run thier computers as tight as I set mine up, so fiddle with the settings until you are happy.  The key areas of concern lie with ActiveX and scripting options.

ActiveX is the primary delivery system for most malware and spyware.  Some viruses also use it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
Well I would like to see where you are getting your stats from.  While no anti-virus in the price ranges most of the forum users are totally secure, the one anti virus program out there that can claim never have missed an "In The Wild Virus" is NOD32. "In-the-Wild" viruses are real viruses that have been reported to the Wildlist Organization by at least two independent reporters.  Symantec has missed a total of 31, Kaspersky missed 50, BitDefender 114, McAfee 135, TrendMicro 138 etc etc.  No other product for home use has a 0 In the Wild Virus.  I have been using it both on home and commercial systems for several years and none of my clients nor myself have ever got a virus.

Independent rating companies consistently rate NOD32 highest.  You claim to be in the business, I am sure you know where to look for information (no advertising allowed)  facts on rating sites

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »
So TilDeath if those anti-virus' programs listed missed that many, how well does AVG rate?  Been using that with Spybot S&D for a while, would hate to think  I have missed a virus somewhere.
Figure while people are on the subject of anti-virus I should pop in. :)
I use AVG, Spybot S&D and Windows firewall, yes I know Satan, but I have yet to see anything get on my computer.  Plus the last Firewall I had was very annoying (ZoneAlarm).
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"