Author Topic: p-47's kill Tigers  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: p-47's kill Tigers
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »
But see, that's where everybody is getting it wrong.  It was not a-single-bomb that did this.  It was a formation of Heavy Bombers.

Lots and lots of bombs.  All together.  At the same time.  Really big boom.  Imagine it would be an earthquake of bowl shaking proportion.

wrongway

Again, show me one DOCUMENTED case where a 72+ ton Tiger II, was flipped over by ANYTHING.   It never happened, but Zohan said it did specifically.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
Chuck Norris flipped one, then he had breakfast.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »
Again, show me one DOCUMENTED case where a 72+ ton Tiger II, was flipped over by ANYTHING.   It never happened, but Zohan said it did specifically.   

that picture i last posted was a tiger II flipped over.   but to stand there and say it never happened is being a little silly.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
that picture i last posted was a tiger II flipped over.   but to stand there and say it never happened is being a little silly.

I'm still waiting for the source of the Russian IL2 pilot stories.  Your most recent example still does nothing to prove your point.  Thats from a prolonged heavy bomber bombardment.  City leveling power could certainly roll or flip a tank.

Where's the 1 500 lber tossing them around though?

Are you the type who can't admit to being wrong?  Answer honestly, because it would save me time arguing with you.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
I have a question two actually . What where the size of the bombs dropped in those operations ? How close together  ?  I went ahead and watched the vid of the M-1 bounce . It wasn't that large of an explosive charge . It was directly underneath the tank .  The Normandy operations where carpet bombing was used  I doubt you will ever be able to prove what size bomb it was that flipped any of those tanks . I suspect the size of bombs dropped ran the whole gamut of what was on the British  Isles at the time . I will say this , it is not only possible for a 500 pounder to flip a Tiger it is probable that at least on of them was flipped by a 500 pounder . I would bet a couple of months AH2  on each one of those points . As for the IED that bounced that M-1 was at the most the = of 20 82mm shells . No more than 6 feet down . My best guess would be considerably less . I will give my best estimation after I watch the vid a few more times . But on those figures alone I would wager a 1/2 year subscription to AH2 . I know some where there is an AAR with highly accurate data on the  IED incident . For the Normandy pics anyone of the engineers that play this game that could say under the soil conditions and the  energy from the lowest  dropped 500 lbs was insufficient to  flip a Tiger would prove to me it wasn't a 500 lbs bomb . And I would pony up .

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »

That is NOT a Tiger II.   Sorry.   

Silly?   You're joking right?   

What about the "IL2 stories" on top of it all.    Back up your claims.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
thats just was i was reading cant find the source from where i read it now. i did post on mythbusters though the story and gonna see if i can find some more concrete data. but if i had to place a bet i would say somewhere sometime it did happen atleast once during the war. that i can assure you of

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
i did post on mythbusters though the story and gonna see if i can find some more concrete data. but if i had to place a bet i would say somewhere sometime it did happen atleast once during the war.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »

What about the "IL2 stories" on top of it all.    Back up your claims.   

I could use a chuckle...what are these "IL2 stories"?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
I could use a chuckle...what are these "IL2 stories"?

ack-ack

(from Page 2)

actually they did aim for the side of them.. i was reading the Il-2 pilots would do this

You aren't the only laughing already Ack-Ack, we're waiting with baited breath.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
actually they did aim for the side of them.. i was reading the Il-2 pilots would do this

This one.  Aiming to "miss".

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
Zohan , the problem is not that it wouldn't be possible . The problem is there just weren't very many VIb's around . Think of the biggets beach you ever say and 10 grains of sand are painted pink . The majority are T-34's and Shermans , the pink are Pzkw VIb's . Notice the responses to my posts . Make your statements clear about what you believe ,and what you know .  I would have stated it is easily possible that a King Tiger could be flipped and they can't say anything . Ok I watched the IED several times . My bet is it wasn't even the = of 10 82 mm mortar rounds , it wasn't more than 4 feet deep . That tells me this , the 500 pounder will flip any tank ever made period . I will bet 2 months subscription on that . Second bet is , and I am looking for a way to get the AAR on this , the IED event that bounced the M-1 wasn't more than the equivalent of 20 82 mm MB's 10 feet deep . That one I am so sure of I will bet a years subscription on it . I gave myself a whole ton of safety margin on that too . Any takers from the 500 lbs won't flip a Tiger II crowd ? Estimate it was like 3 122 mm arty rounds 3 feet deep . Thats somewhere around 100 lbs . Thats my best estimate on the IED .
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:43:12 AM by hlbly »

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »
i noticed on that video that the blast was not just on side but on both .. if it had been on just one side that abrams would have flipped

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
i noticed on that video that the blast was not just on side but on both .. if it had been on just one side that abrams would have flipped

Doubtful.

Googling "bomb flips tank" the first credible response is referring to an atomic blast flipping a tank.

Many of the other intial posts are people correcting others that "no, thats an apc, not a tank.  that bomb would not flip a tank" and things of that nature.

Also, we've already told you that your abrams video isn't applicable to this discussion.  It is a video of a very large blast from underneath the tank.  Earlier you were trying to convince us that a blast from a 500 lb bomb at ground level on the side would flip the tank.

I doubt you ever read anything about IL2 pilots aiming to near miss tanks to try and flip them.  With the amount of history nuts on this board, someone else would surely have read it as well if it were true.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
wrong way already posted pics of a tiger being flipped by bombs  .. flipping a tank with bombs has already been shown

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:56:51 AM by TheZohan »