Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  (Read 599 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
I just finally watched this....

man that's one fluffied up movie.

Watching it, it felt like it was 3 hours long. for the first 45 minutes I was like WTF? ? ? It finally made sense in the end, but until the part where they jumped back to the start I didn't get jack crap.

I have heard many say it's a great movie, and recently my best friend's wife highly recommended it, so I rented it...

I have to say why are these messed up movies so popular? I had to jump scenes a bit, I knew it was a "flashback" and I knew they were complaining to each other, how many of those can I watch? Why make watching a movie a chore? I don't want mindless entertainment, but at the same time I don't need a mind #$%^.

Overall I'll say Jim Carey did an excellent job, Kate Winslet, well she's hot in whatever she does... but as an overall movie I got to say it's a mess.

anyone else see that movie and have a comment?
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
I felt like I was watching Jim Carey in a movie instead of buying into the character.  I have a hard time taking him serious in a serious role, and it seemed like they couldn't decide if he was going to be serious or not.

Hmmm.  Did that make sense at all? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:33:27 AM »
I felt like I was watching Jim Carey in a movie instead of buying into the character.  I have a hard time taking him serious in a serious role, and it seemed like they couldn't decide if he was going to be serious or not.

Hmmm.  Did that make sense at all? :)

I know what you're saying.  I think as Carrey gets "more mature", (older), they are trying to de-Jim Carreyize him so he can actually "act" and not get so typecast.  Even in Yes Man he's toned it down alot.

From IMDB:
Director Peyton Reed spent a lot of time with Jim Carrey to find the right tone for the film, one which would be in between Carrey's manic comedies and his more serious-minded films, as well as to complete the subject's Americanization, as the source book comes from a British author.

Just look what Steve Martin did from The Jerk to something like A Simple Twist of Fate.  Of course, Martin has always written alot of more serious things.  Then again, I hope The Pink Panther stuff is all about the money.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:44:06 AM »
Hehe, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has an easy to follow, linear plot compared to Memento. :)  Over all I enjoyed the film, but I sometimes like it when films try to mess with my head.

Jim Carey is an under-rated actor when it comes to more serious performances, imho.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:01:15 AM »
Mustaine you have to go rent some of Lynch's flicks. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:12 AM »
Mustaine you have to go rent some of Lynch's flicks. 

gotta ask what this means. I can't find a single "lynch" in any of the credits on IMDB even looking at the "advanced" credits.

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:47:02 AM »
David Lynch.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:01:15 AM »
David Lynch.

Start with Eraserhead, then transition into some Blue Velvet, and follow those up with Mulholland Drive.

(Dune was only "ok")
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »
I actually liked that movie when I saw it. 

Course, I also kinda liked butterfly effect.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »
Just to watch the works of Michel Gondry is reason enough to watch the movie. The CGI is impressive.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
Mulholland Drive.

I don't remember this film's details, but I do remember that I despised it and thought it was another example of a puffed-up, vapid film that receives great reviews because the critics adore any poo-poo that comes from a particular director.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

Leave Jim carey alone! he is a fine actor.  Why can't you take him seriously?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »
I know what you mean about it being a choir to watch a movie, the only movie I've ever liked that was like this was "Memento", great movie but your pretty lost until the end.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »
David Lynch.

Ahh... I tried to watch part of twin peaks... makes me think of "lost"....

that stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm currently enjoying the fifth element on tnt, that's a great movie.

though I do have a tradition... every new tv / entertainment set I have gotten; and every new time it is set up in a new place the first movie shown is Dune. I do LOVE that movie, worn out 2 vhs tapes of it, and now on ot the 20th dvd viewing.