Author Topic: Tried another new beer  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Tried another new beer
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:36:34 AM »
It was Dunkel Weisse. However that's pronounced. Ehhh It's okay, just okay. Poored my first bottle into a clear glass and it looked really cloudy. Like muddy water. After I finished it there was residue at the bottom of the glass. I then realized I poured into the glass I had drank chocolate milk from just a bit earlier.  :rofl :rofl. For some reason, and I think it's because Michelob doesn't really use enough hops are whatever, the beer seems less than full bodied. I don't think I will buy it again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Tried another new beer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:22:38 AM »
Dark wheat beer, it's really good.

I've tried Michelob.... it was a low carb but even for a low carb it was pretty average....

Try the German beers, they're great.

That's one of my favourite beers.

Schwarzbier is great... if you find this anywhere, buy it.

Monschoff is really good and this one is just incredible.

Köstritzer:

^ That particular beer is just incredible. It is, without a doubt, the nicest thing I have ever tasted.

It's a shame that it's hard to find.... I'd spend $200 on a case of that without hestitation
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »
Love me Weissbier, never was a fan of the dark stuff though.

Michelob? Surely you jest.

Mmmmmm, Erdinger or Schneider. Staring across the way at the girl from the bank, must have more beer till eyes lose focus and the mind grows dull...
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »
Dark wheat beer, it's really good.

Monschoff is really good and this one is just incredible.

Köstritzer:
(Image removed from quote.)

^ That particular beer is just incredible. It is, without a doubt, the nicest thing I have ever tasted.

It's a shame that it's hard to find.... I'd spend $200 on a case of that without hestitation

The liquor store right around the corner from my work carries that Kostriker schwartzbier and I buy it all the time.  It's not even expensive as compared to the others that I buy from there also.  I love that stuff.  If I can get it at a random liquor store in Tulsa, it can't really be that hard to find man. 

My favorite is the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel and the Spaten Marzen Oktoberfest beers.  The Salvatore and Optimator are really good too.

Some years back I started to think that I just didn't really like beer.  Turned out however that I just don't like yellow beer.  There's a big big difference. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
I smell a beer snob thread.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
I'll cop to a bit of beer snobbery I guess.  Basically I just have found what I like and drink it.  I don't look down on people who like other beers though.  I just won't drink stuff that I don't enjoy, what would be the point?
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »
I smell a beer snob thread.

I'm not a beer Snob. I just enjoy a dark or red beer most. Seems to have a fuller flavor and ironically less calories than the generic American beer. Also, I enjoy trying new things. One of the best beers I ever had was from a micro brewery in Nashville. It was dark, rich in flavor, and had somewhat of a nutty strawberry flavor. Another tasty beer was some that my parents brought back from Germany. Wish I could remember the name. It was great!

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
I buy some  Samuel Adams winter lagger on occasion. But mostly Bud light, lol yeah I'm a beer snob.

Had afew Smithwicks  on Paddys Day, not bad!
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
There is a new beer here called "Detroit Beer" Just saw it on TV, going to get some tonight and see if it is any good.
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
Beer snobs can only exist because of the piss-colored swill that our publicly-subsidized mega-corporations call "beer."
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
There is a new beer here called "Detroit Beer" Just saw it on TV, going to get some tonight and see if it is any good.

This a joke?

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
Beer snobs can only exist because of the piss-colored swill that our publicly-subsidized mega-corporations call "beer."
:aok Yin & Yang Man, Yin & Yang. If it wasn't for people drinking rice-filled crap (yes, rice or sometimes corn as well) we'd be merely beer drinkers, and not beer snobs.  :D
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
Stop drinking beer and crack those books.

;)

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »
Stop drinking beer and crack those books.

;)

:rofl :rofl :rofl Been studying for about an hour now. Going to study another hour and then start my New Years Resolution.............Exerci se!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
It was Dunkel Weisse. However that's pronounced. Ehhh It's okay, just okay. Poored my first bottle into a clear glass and it looked really cloudy. Like muddy water. After I finished it there was residue at the bottom of the glass. I then realized I poured into the glass I had drank chocolate milk from just a bit earlier.  :rofl :rofl. For some reason, and I think it's because Michelob doesn't really use enough hops are whatever, the beer seems less than full bodied. I don't think I will buy it again.

Your next one will be cloudy, also.

Its the wheat used in the mash (lends itself to cloudiness) and the very nature of the beer you bought.  Yeast used to make wheat beer exhibits less flocculation (settling) , therefore stays in suspension more than a regular ale yeast ( DunkleWeisse is an ale and not a Lager).  

The hops contribute absolutely nothing to the body of the beer.  They only add bitterness, aroma, taste.  Although wheat beers are usually lightly hopped  as a rule, this is not why it has less body.

The lack of body is because it is a wheat beer and therefor there is (by traditional German standards) about 50-60% wheat malt in the grain bill.  This will give you less body resulting in a more refreshing, and not heavy (notice I didn't say light) beer.  

The color of a beer does not automatically dictate the body, mouthfeel, or bitterness.  It just means that the brewer used darker malts in the mash.   Most common are the highly kilned malts such as Munich or Vienna-type high-kilned barley malts. Some dark wheat malts may be used. Dark roasted malts are rarely used and then only in very small concentrations. Hops provide a mild bitterness only.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.