Author Topic: I fly With Honor, How About You?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Re: I fly With Honor, How About You?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 08:07:48 AM »
I know the chutes are good for target practise but my aim never seems to get better so I leave them alone and save ammo for the next plane.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
This is a video game. There is no such thing as "honor".

Well if not "honor" maybe a little "class"?

On one hand the game IS a game, and should be fun. Like Ack-Ack said we use to shoot chutes all the time, because it was fun, and in some cases you where doing the guy a favor saving him the "float time" ( in AW if you opened your chute right away you took forever to get to the ground and there was no way out, unlike in AH where you can just end flight right away and get the same result.). Remember, this is a game so on the other hand all that crap about killing the enemy so he doesn't kill you later is just that, crap.

Honor, or class I think is more about game play, it has nothing to do with holding your head up, or making your Daddy proud, its a game.

IN THE GAME honor and class is
  • not going for the HO,
  • letting an enemy limp home after a good fight,
  • not vulching,
  • not spawn camping,
  • not taking out the FH just to bust up a good fight,
  • not taking out the VH just to bust up a good fight,
  • not complaining about furballs,
  • not complaining about land grabbers,
  • not switching sides just to sit in a shore battery so your squad can bring in the CV close,
  • not switching sides to report on what the other team is doing,
  • using more than 8 people to run an NOE mission,
  • using more than 20 people on an above dar mission,

....and the list could go on and on. Believe it or not most of these things were NOT a problem years ago. There was a lot more respect, and yes dare I say it Honor back then.

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »
4 pages.
1 troll.
Awesome.
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
This is what it comes down to for me.

I'm 48 years old, sitting at a computer, pretending to be a cartoon fighter pilot.  When words like honor get thrown around here, I kinda want to giggle as I look around and don't see myself as a 'knight of the air', but some past his prime guy sitting in his chair in his computer room.  Nothing real noble about it :)

If you want to shoot my chute, go for it, although I don't recall ever bailing out of my 38G as 'riding it in" seems a much quicker way to get back to the tower and a new cartoon pilot and P38G.  If blasting my half a wing 38 is what gives you a thrill, then feel free.  I get a new one everytime and I have yet to die :aok

I understand what you are saying, but maybe  I'd word it differently.  Maybe you are recognizing it wouldn't be a fair fight and not much of an accomplishment to shoot down a half a wing F4F.  Maybe you are just letting the guy see if he can get it down OK.

Playing fair, being a good sport about the game, and keeping it in perspective seems the most important things to me.  My life won't change one bit based on whether CorkyJr has a good or bad night in his cartoon 38G.  I just can't take any of it that serious in AH :)

:aok :salute

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
Well if not "honor" maybe a little "class"?

I think "class" is a less loaded and more fitting term for this stuff than "honor". Honor is sacred. In past times, men often killed each other over matters of honor. We don't do that today, but IMO any man worth his salt should be willing to fight (with words if not with fists) to defend his honor.

Would anyone want to start a fight over issues like these? I certainly hope not. The remedy for poor sportsmanship, like bad manners, is to behave properly and let your example and that of the poor sport speak for themselves. Talking about it here on a discussion board is also fair game. But I wouldn't impugn anyone's honor over simple matters of game play.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
I think "class" is a less loaded and more fitting term for this stuff than "honor". Honor is sacred. In past times, men often killed each other over matters of honor. We don't do that today, but IMO any man worth his salt should be willing to fight (with words if not with fists) to defend his honor.

Would anyone want to start a fight over issues like these? I certainly hope not. The remedy for poor sportsmanship, like bad manners, is to behave properly and let your example and that of the poor sport speak for themselves. Talking about it here on a discussion board is also fair game. But I wouldn't impugn anyone's honor over simple matters of game play.

Best post on this thread.  :aok

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
It's too cold to go outside and aggravate my neighbors (too cold to walk 2 miles to the nearest neighbor) so here's something to ponder..or not.  The last time I looked, this compilation  of zeros and 1's in the truest sense is nothing more than a GAME.

The object of this game is to defeat the opponent via deft movements of a "piece of plastic equipped with various and sundry electronic/mechanical devices, all the while sitting in front of a CRT/LCD...but of course y'all know that, right??

So, given the above,  in this GAME that has no rules ,other that those in the TA,  does one get the idea of HONOR and or FAIR GAME PLAY!?!? Oh wait, I just answered my own question.."figment of your imagination"seems to apply.

Bottom line(s)for this type of GAME: "kill or be killed/do unto others before they do unto you"...it's a GAME!!! without ANY rules, and until HT decides to invoke a penalty for "shooting a chute", vulching, etc, etc, PLAY to have fun and best the other guy/gal in the process.

it's a game, it's a game, ,it's a game, it's a game, it's a bloody game, people!!

For those that take this GAME seriously...step away from your machine and get back to reality.   :rolleyes:

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 11:31:18 AM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/honor
honor definition | Dictionary.com

hon⋅or

–noun
1.    honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions:

Honor exists. It's a state of mind. A way of life that you not only take with you when you meet your family, work on your job or even play in this video game. If you have none then of course you would not believe it could exist within some people.

It's just a game and shooting a chute does not make you any less honorable and neither does killing a wounded cartoon airplane but how you play and interact within this community does show a part of your personality. You either have it or you don't How you perceive it is another story.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:38:57 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
I played this game to have fun and get AWAY from real life. I also did alot of stuff in this game that I would NEVER think of doing in real life. Just because you shoot a cartoon "chute" doesn't mean you don't have any HONOR. I fly a little in RL and I would never think of doing a gear-up landing just for "the fun of it" like I did in this game. I'm pretty sure that if I was an actual fighter pilot I wouldn't shoot a real guy in a chute but since this is just a dang game....What the hell? Personally I can't recall ever shooting a cartoon pilot in a chute but so what if I did? What effect does it have on ANYTHING other than pissing off another gamer?

Btw...I have 18 years (and counting) of military experience behind me and I do think along the way I have learned a little bit about true HONOR.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »
OK, just an example, hockey game. Two guys square off and the fist start flying one guy gets the shirt pulled over his head. There is no rule saying the other guy must stop punching the guy who can't see, but guys with honor in the game will stop punching and call the linesmen in. I saw this happen in two different games in the last week or so. These guys are "enforcers" it's their job to pummel the other guys, but they stop when it's unfair.

The same can be said about this game. We can go by dentins idea and be totally classless and barbarian about it, orrr we could have a bit of class/honor and NOT go out of our way to ruin the fun of the game. Honor and class is made up of unwritten rules. 

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
I just hope this teaches someone something on honor while fighting.

Another way of saying this is: "I have a self imposed belief system that has these particular character traits, how about you?"

Is any belief better than any other belief?

Who is to judge?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
Again...shooting a guy in a "chute" ISN'T REAL LIFE!

The hockey fight thing is very real even though it is classified as a "game".  Would those same two guys feel the need to stop for "honor" when playing NHL 09 on Xbox?  NO. It isn't real and that is part of the fun in getting online and being a video game bully. Sometimes it's fun to go against the grain and pretend you are something you are not.

Getting shot in a cartoon game doesn't hurt anything....A punch to the head does.

Too many guys bring RL into this game and I personally think it's sad.

I would also bet my left giblet that there are alot of guys on here that you think have "honor" and in real life they are cowardly fools.

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
Honor exists. It's a state of mind. A way of life that you not only take with you when you meet your family, work on your job or even play in this video game. If you have none then of course you would not believe it could exist within some people.

It's just a game and shooting a chute does not make you any less honorable and neither does killing a wounded cartoon airplane but how you play and interact within this community does show a part of your personality. You either have it or you don't How you perceive it is another story.
  :aok agreed

I believe real life has a tendency to bleed itself into a game like it or not such as this. If you act like an arse in real life you more than likely act like an arse in the game. If you live youre life with repect for others and not bashing someone when they are down, then you will probably more times than not play the game with a little honor and respect for others. If not maybe its time to take a long look in the mirror and ask youreself "am i really that much of a putz in real life" you may not like the answer.

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »
  :aok agreed

I believe real life has a tendency to bleed itself into a game like it or not such as this. If you act like an arse in real life you more than likely act like an arse in the game. If you live youre life with repect for others and not bashing someone when they are down, then you will probably more times than not play the game with a little honor and respect for others. If not maybe its time to take a long look in the mirror and ask youreself "am i really that much of a putz in real life" you may not like the answer.

Excelllent post sir   :aok :salute

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
  I find a chute a needless tax on my frail pc. It must die. People need to remember they can just tower and alls good. No need to float.

~AoM~