Author Topic: I fly With Honor, How About You?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
Re: I fly With Honor, How About You?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »
Id Like to beleive that I'm very honorable in REAL Life. Than again this isnt real life is it?
tghe other day i was being vulched about 8 times just trying to get off the runway did I get mad ? No it became a game inside a game. i wanted to see how far up i could get without being downed.I had fun with it ! It doesnt meqan that i will do the same (Idont ) In fact I dont ho or vulch and Im not good enough to do any thing else i try to respect others and when i get shot i get back in and try again.
Hammer has a web site that said if you ditch ,the best thing to do is wait untill uyou see trees easily then open your chute it keeps me from being killed ! try it ! If you see me speak well for i will give you an easy kill
 :aok
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:06 AM »
If I bail ya better shoot me,....becouse if ya don't,I'll sprint over to your runway, and pop you in the mellon w/ my .45. :O
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27:36 AM »
Selective "honor" for the win. Although I'd rather just use the word respect.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »
OK, just an example, hockey game. Two guys square off and the fist start flying one guy gets the shirt pulled over his head. There is no rule saying the other guy must stop punching the guy who can't see, but guys with honor in the game will stop punching and call the linesmen in. I saw this happen in two different games in the last week or so. These guys are "enforcers" it's their job to pummel the other guys, but they stop when it's unfair.

The same can be said about this game. We can go by dentins idea and be totally classless and barbarian about it, orrr we could have a bit of class/honor and NOT go out of our way to ruin the fun of the game. Honor and class is made up of unwritten rules. 

Hey bud..I've refrained from insulting in my last post, your perception that my idea is
totally classless and barbarian
is insulting. :mad: Get real, look around, what I described is the way the GAME is presently conducted...and rest assured it WILL NOT change, simply because there are NO rules for this type of GAME and the mindset of the current/future players...and my friend, "you can take that to the bank"

As far as comparing THIS GAME to a fight in a Hockey game...there is no comparison! In all probability, the reason the "puncher" stopped delivering blows was NOT because of "honor" but more on the lines of not wanting to get tossed into the slammer/getting sued OR receiving a substantial fine...IMNSHO!

So, you go ahead and play the way YOU see fit, and we(realists) will PLAY our way!  :t 
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
OK, just an example, hockey game. Two guys square off and the fist start flying one guy gets the shirt pulled over his head. There is no rule say.ing the other guy must stop punching the guy who can't see, but guys with honor in the game will stop punching and call the linesmen in

This is hysterical.  It's also BS.  linesmen do not allow themselves to be dictated to as to when they intervene.  A player does not influence when they step in. If a player becomes distinctly disadvantaged, then they step in. Player calling a linesman in... rofl.         Now, a player may stop punching a guy he has shirted and clinch, causing the linemen to jump in but he's not gonna "call" anyone.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if I was an actual fighter pilot I wouldn't shoot a real guy in a chute

I'm always puzzled by this attitude. In real life, isn't killing the enemy your objective in combat? I understand not shooting noncombatants, medics, and prisoners, I'm not saying there's no morality in war - but unless he's going to drop behind your lines and be captured a bailed-out pilot is none of those things, he's still a very dangerous (just not immediately dangerous) combatant and an extremely valuable asset of the enemy.

No one would say that if an enemy soldier runs out of ammo in a firefight you should give him a chance to find more and reload before killing him. So why would anyone wait for an enemy ighter pilot to re-plane before killing him?

I'm sure I'd feel bad about killing a helpless pilot in a chute, but I'd feel bad about lots of things you have to do in war.

(I realize that this isn't really related to behavior in the game, but I would assume the attitudes and habits of RL fighter pilots are a legitimate subject for discussion in this forum.)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Hey bud..I've refrained from insulting in my last post, your perception that my idea is  is insulting. :mad: Get real, look around, what I described is the way the GAME is presently conducted...and rest assured it WILL NOT change, simply because there are NO rules for this type of GAME and the mindset of the current/future players...and my friend, "you can take that to the bank"

As far as comparing THIS GAME to a fight in a Hockey game...there is no comparison! In all probability, the reason the "puncher" stopped delivering blows was NOT because of "honor" but more on the lines of not wanting to get tossed into the slammer/getting sued OR receiving a substantial fine...IMNSHO!

So, you go ahead and play the way YOU see fit, and we(realists) will PLAY our way!  :t 

The game HAS changed, it use to have honor, and class. Todays players act like they are the dregs of the earth, its sometimes embarrassing to see their interaction on the boards and radio. I hope that it will change AGAIN and go back to the way t was. Pointing out how it was I hope to show others....like you... who seem to believe that the slum we play in now is the "be all and end all" of game play, isn't the only way to go, it can get better.

This is hysterical.  It's also BS.  linesmen do not allow themselves to be dictated to as to when they intervene.  A player does not influence when they step in. If a player becomes distinctly disadvantaged, then they step in. Player calling a linesman in... rofl.         Now, a player may stop punching a guy he has shirted and clinch, causing the linemen to jump in but he's not gonna "call" anyone.

Sorry Steve, In a recent Bruins game Thornton got into a fight with Orr. At one point during the fight Orr's jersey gets pulled up over his head. Now I don't know what Thornton was thinking, nor the linesmen, but Thornton does clearly gesture to them to come in. You can check it out HERE at about a minute 30 in.

The point is even in a situation where a "barbaric act" ...called by some... we see an act of honor and class. It's just a game/job, yet some people still show class and honor. Why can't that happen in our game? My thoughts are most of today's players are kids, young adults and haven't been taught any class or honor. In an internet game why should they? They can hide behind their internet connections and not face any consequences for their actions. They can act like an bellybutton because nobody can call them on it.

However, if the community calls them on it would they learn? I think so, most of these guys aren't  stupid, just uneducated . Example.... In the old days at AWIII everyone who was "cool" had a kill macro. After you made a kill you ran your macro, it was kinda like a lion roaring to let everyone know he had made a kill. Most of them where funny and creative. However, AH was much too classy for any of the frivolity  :P well any rate it was frowned on. The community came down on ANYONE who ran one and they learned very quickly not to do it.

Whats needed is the community to stand up and say we aren't going to take this crap any more and train those that step outside the line. I'm not saying to stop all trash talking, but at a point it does cross a line and the community in stead of egging on the combatants should work to defuse the situation. Big squads CO should man up and create fights on their squad nights in stead of slinking around in the bush looking for undefended bases to grab quick and run. Players should learn NOT to fly directly into the face of an enemy. Learn to attack with a plan, and string together a couple of maneuvers.

This game use to be so much more fun and challenging that it is today, and it could be again.  

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
The game HAS changed, it use to have honor, and class. Todays players act like they are the dregs of the earth, its sometimes embarrassing to see their interaction on the boards and radio. I hope that it will change AGAIN and go back to the way t was.

It won't change until there are "hard coded rules" with consequences for infractions! You don't need to "point out" anything to me, I've been on this earth long enough to realize "what is" and what used to be/could be...but I digress. This game "is what it is" and is determined by the "majority" of players...or as you said "dregs of the earth"

Are you familiar with the term "management by momentum" ?  Seems to apply with this game, ie, the vast majority of players subscribe to the simple rules I put forth in my original post...and until there are rules (not to be confused with "fair play/honor') the GAME will continue as you see it today..there is NOTHING you can do to decrease that momentum...other than express your opinion, as I have mine.

Pointing out how it was I hope to show others....like you... who seem to believe that the slum we play in now is the "be all and end all" of game play, isn't the only way to go, it can get better.

See above....

As much as I'd like to continue this thread, reality beckons... :cool:   :salute
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:29:31 PM by dentin »
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
Ever vulch anyone?
I vulch when it's nessesary. You know that I am in a squad that likes to base capture, and I think at the time, I was tring to take a base.

Now, like in the last two tours, I haven't vulched.

Oh, and BTW, talk to HiTech, see what he thinks about vulching. :aok
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
The game HAS changed, it use to have honor, and class. .  

In Gretzky's book, he talks about getting in a fight and having his bell rung.  The other guy stops punching and actually holds him up.  Heheheh.
 I got in a fight once and had a guy say "I'm done."  as I got him to the ice.  I stopped, but once you are on the ice the linesmen pounce so it only saved him a whallop or two.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2009, 01:42:20 PM »
Todays players act like they are the dregs of the earth,

If you think anyone in AH2 acts like the dregs of the earth, I can only conclude that you are fortunate enough not to have much interaction with the dregs of the earth.

My thoughts are most of today's players are kids, young adults and haven't been taught any class or honor.

You do know that your great-great-great-great-grandparents said the exact same thing about your great-great-great-grandparents' generation, don't you?

In an internet game why should they? They can hide behind their internet connections and not face any consequences for their actions. They can act like an bellybutton because nobody can call them on it.

That is a problem, but I don't think it's a generational thing. I've seen boards where the average age was over 50 but they had the same problem.

However, if the community calls them on it would they learn? I think so, most of these guys aren't  stupid, just uneducated.

Agree with you there. But you have to do it politely (even though they aren't being polite) or you'll only alienate them. And some of the things you'd like people to be called on are not ones on which a consensus exists that they are bad.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »
I vulch when it's nessesary. You know that I am in a squad that likes to base capture, and I think at the time, I was tring to take a base.

Now, like in the last two tours, I haven't vulched.

Oh, and BTW, talk to HiTech, see what he thinks about vulching. :aok

You simply can't call vulching "fighting with honor" irrespective of what Dale thinks about it. No you weren't trying to take a base... you were alone at the base and vulched through the ack. You even apologized, admitting it was a crappy thing to do. It's not that big of a deal, but it shows that you are not above reproach.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
So is it the general consensus that having 'virtual honor' in a game where the main objective is to kill the other guy is kind of silly?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
To quote the Great Gurney Halleck:  "Honor is for cattle, and loveplay!"

The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.

from Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
I honor the fight.  I make cold merges and avoid the HO.  I usually don't stop my attack until an enemy plane is down and I do shoot at chutes if there isn't anything else to do.  I also don't gang people and will usually mock the 5 or 6 chasing one red plane.

Except Spitfires.  They are the dweebiest of the dweeby and anything goes against them.   :devil
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace