Author Topic: Matrox Triple Head  (Read 508 times)

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
Matrox Triple Head
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »
Six months ago my fabulous wife bought me 3x22" monitors to use for Aces High (unbeknownst to her that I would also need a Matrox Triple Head). I finally splurged for the Triple Head 2 Go Digital and so far I'm fairly impressed, however I do have a question.

My question is about whether it's possible to disable the "perspective distortion" on the side monitors. (see pictures below for clarification).

First of all, here are some stats for those who are interested.

I am running 3 x 22" Monitors at 1680x1050 for a ridiculous total resolution of 5040x1050!
    (this resolution required updated firmware from the Matrox website: released December 2008)
NVidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ (one card, no SLI)
Intel Dual Core 2.6GHz CPU

My framerate stays right around 57 (maximum for the monitors) with 1024 textures and the hi-res texture pack -but it has dropped occasionally (when the ack is shooting a friendly and it's in my view) so I'm slightly concerned about that...

Here is a screenshot in my P-51:

View this image in full 5040x1050

Here are some screenshots showing a right and left quarter view (here in lies my question):

Notice in the latter two pictures that the view is skewed / stretched (very noticeable on the wings) - once you continue to look further over the wing (bringing the wing to the center monitor) then it's no longer distorted.

Is this something by design in an attempt to create perspective, and is there any way to turn it off?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:52:00 AM by _vic_ »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Matrox Triple Head
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
The 'fisheye' effect has to do with the field of view being higher than 90 degrees.  There is nothing that can be done about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
 :O

I dont care about distortion.  THAT IS FREAKIN KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!  I want!!  I want!! I want!!
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »
3 22" monitors to play AH from the wife?

I'd consider installing a gps tracking device in her car :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
Skuzzy,

Thanks for the quick reply. As I looked at the pictures again myself I realized that the distortion also added those amazing effects of the clouds that make them look so realistic... It's just an oddity - my focus shouldn't really be on the side monitors anyways. I need to train myself to play as usual and only use the side monitors for peripheral vision.

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
If you angle the left and right monitors just right, the distortion is reduced.  Screenshots, however, will always exaggerate the 'fisheye' effect.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
It's a pretty amazing experience so far, but a little disorienting. I'm sure I'll get used to it in a few days, but I find that my wingmen now expect more from me. I keep getting snide comments from a friend of mine from work who also plays AH saying, "Well, I don't have the view you do, you tell me what contacts are out there."

Thanks for this amazing option.

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
I HATE YOU!!!!

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »
There's no reason to hate me just yet, Gatr. So far the three monitors has done little more than give me a headache! It will definitely take some getting used to. It's an excellent novelty, and it certainly helps with the immersion factor - but it hasn't yet proven itself to be indispensable... I'll let you know if that changes.

Offline Dano

• Zinc Member
      • Danosacm.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
<------Volunteering to be Vic's aspirin.
Just shoot me a pm and I can tell you where to ship those monitors and Matrox triple head, hence no more headaches  :D
<S> Dano
Few problems in life cannot be fixed without the precise placement of high explosives. --Ukn
ACM Tip: Keep the bad guy out front and squeeze the trigger when the little black dot is on them.
http://www.danosacm.com/

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
The people in this community are so nice! Always willing to lend a hand.  :uhoh

Offline Dano

• Zinc Member
      • Danosacm.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
<S> Dano
Few problems in life cannot be fixed without the precise placement of high explosives. --Ukn
ACM Tip: Keep the bad guy out front and squeeze the trigger when the little black dot is on them.
http://www.danosacm.com/

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
A projector reflected off one of these:

projected onto a a concave screen should fix the fisheye distortion....
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell