Author Topic: M-18 Hellcat  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Rap

• Zinc Member
M-18 Hellcat
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
I just finished watching Tank Overhaul where they restored an american M-18 Hellcat that was boasted to be the fastest thing on trax in WWII. It had the same gun as the M4 but was much faster and fired a H.E.A.P round. They claimed it to be an instrumental tool in the Battle of the Bulge. Designed specifically for killing tanks in shoot and scoot attacks I think it would be a great addition to the inventory and considering the we won WWII there should be more american flavor on the ground....just a wish. ~<<S>>~

Rap
Nature in all her grand scape's and beauty.....is but the backdrop for the tragic theater that is man.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Re: M-18 Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
oh boy  :noid

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
 :rofl  Does anyone notice how all of the requests with off the wall comments seem to come from people with very few posts?  Have always wondered if it was the same person with some sort of diabolical scheme going on in their mind.   :rolleyes:
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »
The M-18 would be a great addition to the inventory. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
I'd love to see a Yank TD in the game. The speed of the M-18 would open up a new dimension in the game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Rap

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
Not to sure what or who avionix was talking about
:rofl  Does anyone notice how all of the requests with off the wall comments seem to come from people with very few posts?  Have always wondered if it was the same person with some sort of diabolical scheme going on in their mind.   :rolleyes:
I'm not diabolical just a little twisted ;).

Rap.....tr
Nature in all her grand scape's and beauty.....is but the backdrop for the tragic theater that is man.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »
Not to sure what or who avionix was talking about I'm not diabolical just a little twisted ;).

Rap.....tr

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Didn't realize it was you man.  Very worthwhile post.   :D
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »
From what I recall the M18 was fast because it was LIGHT. It had only 1/2 armor which couldn't stop even some small arms fire. An M16 could take it out with ease. Imagine trying to manuver into any guns range on a more lethal foe and you'll die 5k out.

See, GVs in this game aren't like real life (not in the slightest). In AH it's mostly spawn camping of 1 type or another. In real life you set up a defensive line and shot at bad guys coming to you. Hardly any of this "I can't see hiim against the terrain" crap and the "he's nailing me 5k out through trees!" crap. While an M18 was quite valuable in real life, in AH it would be like stripping all the armor off an M4. That is to say, an exercise in frustration.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
You really think M16s would slay M-18 TDs with "ease"?

Speed is the key. We took a base once with M-8s, M-3s, and M-16s, moving to fast for an effective defense.

The problem isnt the game. Its he players. They upp, motor out a bit, and then sit. Trying to run up camps shooting from 5K out. That or they just plain sit on a spawn for hours stifling gameplay. Some TDs upp with effective guns, and start zipping around at 50 mph flanking these silly spawn camps? It would help game play I believe.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
I dont have the armor stats hanfy, but the M18 Hellcat was not as lightly armored as an M8, but not as heavily armored as the M4A1, so pick your poison.

This subject has been debated time and time again... the M18 would bring a combonation of SIX things that currently do not exist in the game: high speed (45mph+), effective main gun (US 76mm w HVAP/HEAP second only to the 17lb'er and 88mm), low armor (more than M8 less than Pzr), and minimal anti-OBJ capability (it carried minimal HE rounds and no MG other than a single M2 .50 cal on top for a token AA defense), AND it would be vulnerable to air attacks (think of how fragile the T34x turret is vs enemy tanks, now apply that vs air cons).

Oh... and I'd be willing to guess it would have a rate of fire faster than the Pzr IV but less than the M8.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
I dont have the armor stats hanfy, but the M18 Hellcat was not as lightly armored as an M8, but not as heavily armored as the M4A1, so pick your poison.
IIRC it was about a half inch (13mm) all the way around except on the turret front, which was an inch (25mm).  The M-8 is roughly 9mm sides and rear and 19mm on the front and turret.

By comparison, the Sherman has front hull armor of 2 inches (51mm), an inch and a half (38mm) on the sides and rear, and 3 inches (76mm) on the turret front.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »
Many reports of infantry calling up tank killers (M18s and the like) and the tank crews getting shot up by small arms and defended positions, because the infantry commanders giving the orders didn't know the difference -- they thought a tank was a tank.

They took a lot of losses that way, from what I've heard (heard this from a couple older documentaries and read comments similar to it as well).

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
IIRC it was about a half inch (13mm) all the way around except on the turret front, which was an inch (25mm).  The M-8 is roughly 9mm sides and rear and 19mm on the front and turret.

By comparison, the Sherman has front hull armor of 2 inches (51mm), an inch and a half (38mm) on the sides and rear, and 3 inches (76mm) on the turret front.

The armor is steel plate, 7/8 inches (22mm) thick, on the front of the vehicle and 3/8 inches (9.5mm) thick on the sides, with welded construction. The turret is cast with a thickness of 3/4 inches (19mm).

Not much less armored.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Keep in mind a 50cal from a sniper rifle (same round/casing as from WW2, different gun) can penetrate 2 separate 1/2 in steel plates placed 3 feet from eath other, when the shot is fired from 1 mile away (specifically measured).

In closer? It's got even more punch.

Like I said, M16s could tear through the thing. It was the basic minimal armor to protect the crew, not to stop any rounds from any guns larger than those carried by foot soldiers.

Offline Rap

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
Look I just wanted some more gv flavor in the game. Hitech modeles things the best they can I guess. And if use the way the allies used them ambush/shoot-n-scoot maybe the M-18 would be a nice breathe of fresh air like the wirble.....but hey I'm just an LTAR :rock gv dweeb that sucks in planes :huh what do I know :salute.

Rap....tr