Author Topic: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war  (Read 6652 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war
« Reply #285 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »
I agree with almost everything you said m00t, it would save us lot of time skinning the XVI with 25lbs of boost.

1 perk isn’t enough for the XVI, I would say 3-5 perks is a good solid number.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:43 AM »
It's not that good.  Its vulnerabilities are too easy to exploit for 3-5 perks.  There's no other planes for new players to use as a trainer..  It allows them to make quick corrections like no other plane allows. That lets them make consecutive attempts at any acm quicker, so they progress quicker.
I wouldn't perk it for more than 2 points.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
HTC has said no. Can't perk an engine setup in the hangar. Doesn't work that way. Has to be different planes in the hangar list when introducing different wings (clipped etc) and different engines.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:21 AM »
It's not that good.  Its vulnerabilities are too easy to exploit for 3-5 perks.  There's no other planes for new players to use as a trainer..  It allows them to make quick corrections like no other plane allows. That lets them make consecutive attempts at any acm quicker, so they progress quicker.

Your false assumption is that spit16 pilots progress.

The plane is such an un-stalling UFO that you take an accomplished 2-year spit driver and he can't do jack in any non-spit in the game*

* = might do okay in the hurr2c and a6m5, but they have more vices than the spit16 by a long shot.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2009, 02:28:31 AM »
There is no point perking a plane for 1 point... that's crazy talk man, the rookies will do just fine in a Spitfire Mk. VIII, IX. :lol

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »
HTC has said no. Can't perk an engine setup in the hangar. Doesn't work that way. Has to be different planes in the hangar list when introducing different wings (clipped etc) and different engines.

Well they coud just add the "Spitfire Mk. XVI 1944" with 25lbs of boost, or something along those lines.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2009, 02:34:57 AM »
Well they coud just add the "Spitfire Mk. XVI 1944" with 25lbs of boost, or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure they came out and said no to that boost level. Too much of a monster (do you really NEED 6000fpm climb rates and deck speeds capable of chasing down P-51Ds??? I think not!)

EDIT: P.S. I'm not a spit hater, as commented earlier. I don't think they're modeled very well. Most of that spit-hater commentary crap goes back to before 2.06 when some folks in the spit discussion thread went a little rabid....

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »
Gentleman, this is what I would do:

Upgrade the boost on the Spitfire Mk. XIV to 21lbs and leave it perked.
Upgrade the boost on the Spitfire Mk. XVI to 25lbs of boost and perk it.

Job half done, that does leave us without an unperked clipped Spitfire though.

1943 Spitfire XII.  Midwar bird, clipped wing.  I'm sure it would work just fine in a replacement role for that perked 16 :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2009, 03:50:36 AM »
or an early clipped wing Spit V, with proper boost settings.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22:33 AM »
1943 Spitfire XII.  Midwar bird, clipped wing.  I'm sure it would work just fine in a replacement role for that perked 16 :)

Until the inevible whines and it got perked also.

I Wonder - If the XVI was to get perked, just clip the VIII and.......viola a XVI with extra range, minimally better acceleration and top speed (due to retractible tailwheel).

Bruv119 - An early clipped V would be a Vc, which we no longer have. To make it different enough to the Vb we currently have, you are back to our old Vc with the Merlin 55M. Just think what that would be like clipped!

[edit] Did we ever get to the bottom of the VIIIs poor roll rate, i.e. suspicions it is based on an HF VIII with extended tips?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:34:21 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2009, 08:02:41 AM »
No, let erm have it Kev!

Plus put 25lbs of boost on that bad boy VIII, your talking 370MPH and 5,800 climb at full pelt on the deck... :cool:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:15:22 AM by Kazaa »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
It's not that good.  Its vulnerabilities are too easy to exploit for 3-5 perks.

What vulnerabilities? It has none, other than the putative fragility IF it ends up in front of the guns instead of the other way around. It might have the best game in town as far as defensive possibilities goes, due to a combination of roll rate and good turning.

There's no other planes for new players to use as a trainer..  It allows them to make quick corrections like no other plane allows. That lets them make consecutive attempts at any acm quicker, so they progress quicker.

There are plenty of other planes to use at trainers which are relatively easy to handle *Most* AHII airplanes are "easy to fly" in the conventional sense, meaning they take off, land, and recover from stalls with little/no difficulty or surprises. You want an easy-to-fly plane, the HurrIIC is a rock-steady platform, and with its turn radius, guns, and over-the-nose views, better for the typical new-guy style of pull back on the yoke until it comes into view and hammer away. The SpitXVI OTOH, represents an airplane that is both relatively easy to handle *and* double-superior to a huge chunk of the plane set.

The "New guys need very good planes so their first flights will be easier" could be used as an argument to unperk practically anything, the C-Hog (What gun package is easier to use than quad 20MMs? And its a pretty good platform and fighter to boot), the Tempest (Quad 20mm plus the noob gets to be untouchable), or best, the F4U-4. (The best plane. 'Nuff said.)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."